01 1.9TDI Repair kits for pin hole leaks on a sump - s lyle
Ladies and Gents,
I've just discovered the cause of the oily patches on my drive.
We have a very slight hole in the bottom of our car's sump.
Does anybody know if there is a product on the market that we can use to patch the sump, rather than replacing it ?
Thanks.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/03/2009 at 18:50

01 1.9TDI Repair kits for pin hole oil leaks on a - freman
Whatever method is used, plastic,solder or welding, the sump will have to be removed for cleaning also inspection as this pinhole may be the first of many
01 1.9TDI Repair kits for pin hole oil leaks on a - Peter D
Yep a replacement sump is the only solution. Regards Peter
01 1.9TDI Repair kits for pin hole oil leaks on a - mickyh7
There are company's who repair sumps.They use fibreglass and meshing. I would put a self-tapper in the hole,from the outside and then cover with Araldite. You don't need to pay £100 + for a new sump-Try to Google it ? - Good Luck.
01 1.9TDI Repair kits for pin hole oil leaks on a - John F
Over 30 yrs ago I remember repairing the sump of a Toyota Crown half way across the Sahara - pierced by a rock. We used chewing gum and a bit of araldite - and then a larger overlapping second layer of araldite after thoroughly cleaning the area. It was still holding when I got rid of the car over a year later.
01 1.9TDI Repair kits for pin hole oil leaks on a - Halmer
£20 on Ebay cgi.ebay.co.uk/vw-golf-vento-caddy-corrado-passat-...8
01 1.9TDI Repair kits for pin hole oil leaks on a - Hamsafar
If it's caused by corrosion, it will be best to replace, if caused by hitting an object, just use JB Weld or metal Araldite. Before applying this, clean the area thoroughly with solvent/carb cleaner and apply something to stem the flow before the epoxy cures. I used exhaust paste when I did this rubbed into the hole. It was still OK after 5 years and even looked the indistinguishable from the aluminium.
01 1.9TDI Repair kits for pin hole oil leaks on a - haphgati
use JB Weld or metal Araldite. Before applying this clean the area thoroughly with solvent/carb cleaner and apply something to stem the flow before the epoxy cures. I used exhaust paste when I did this rubbed into the hole.

Hamsafar - not quite sure I follow you. Did you use exhaust paste AND Araldite/JB Weld substance or instead of? Am about to tackle a pin hole leak in my sump and have purchased Evo-Stik Metal Epoxy Putty and Holts Gun Gum exhaust paste and am deliberating which one to use. The pin hole is above the level of the oil at the moment (until I top it up) leaking only after the car has been running.
01 1.9TDI Repair kits for pin hole oil leaks on a - Hamsafar
I did it on a BMW aluminium sump that hit a ramp and got a crack or slot cut in it. I did it with the engine hot, I mixed some epoxy ready and I cleaned the area with solvent, but the oil kept weeping out, so I wiped it off and quickly put exhaust paste into the crack rubbing it in with my finger, it quickly dries on the hot metal and this stopped the weeping and allowed me to clean off the excess and apply some metal epoxy over the top without it getting oily. (The epoxy also cures faster when hot but will be more runny). I checked it every time I changed the oil for about 5 years after and it was as sound as a pound.

Edited by Hamsafar on 27/03/2009 at 17:14

01 1.9TDI Repair kits for pin hole leaks on a sump - L'escargot
If the leak is caused by rust it's unlikely to remain localised for very long. The best solution is a new sump. At my car's last service/MOT I was told the sump was on its way out due to corrosion. I'm keeping an eye on it and I'll get it replaced as soon as it starts to actually drip oil.
01 1.9TDI Repair kits for pin hole leaks on a sump - 659FBE
It's an alloy sump on this engine. I wonder what the undertray is like?