02 2.0 holding back at low speeds, slight judder, - langdon
Have a 2002 Neon R/T manual, 79,000 miles just started to hold back slightly, same as when a plug breaks down or i was thinking maybe coil pack? if you accelerate it is smooth as silk and at anything above say 45 / 50 mph, but at steady 30mph it is a bit jerky and holds back slightly? any one else had this problem? Thanks.
02 2.0 holding back at low speeds, slight judder, - MerlinTec
Leads are a common fault on these hence a set of leads are only about £15 from the dealer so best place to start would be plugs and leads.
02 2.0 holding back at low speeds, slight judder, - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I'd put my money on a lazy Lambda/O2 sensor. An HT problem would be worse under acceleration.
Sensor is easy enough to check by any competent tech with an oscilloscope or scoping multimeter.
Where is the lamda / O2 sensor located, and can you clean it?
Have priced up coil pack at £55.00 (pattern part) has brand new plugs, havent done the leads though, definately feels electrical, but as i say you can accelerate smoothly all the way, its only when try to run at 30 / 35mph it feels as if its very slightly missing and a bit jerky as if you are tapping the throttle if that makes sense?
Are you sure there is not an air leak? There was a recall on the brake servo hose. also the engine breather pipe are known for collapsing. I take it there are no warning lights and the plug gap is correct? Anything done around the time the fault started? There are a number of flash software updates for the 2001 neon and the recall was for the 2001 post the last 8 of your vin and I will check yours if you wish. I know you have said it's a 2002 but could have been built in 2001 and just registered in 2002. The MDH number on the door should tell you anyway MDH= Month Day Year it was built.

Edited by MerlinTec on 12/03/2009 at 23:31

LOL sorry it was late last night MDH= Month Day HOUR. year is by the 10 position of the vin i.e 2= 2002
Actually, i am going to revise slightly, when you start up it ticks over steady and smooth, but just blip the throttle gently and it fluffs and splutters, when driving it is smooth as silk until you back off the throttle to coast along, then it judders and fluffs again? could be throttle sensor or Lamda as suggested? dont now think its leads or plugs? Thanks chaps.
Hi
Does it do it from cold or warm or at all temps? if from cold it's not going to be the 02 sensor as it doesn't use the 02 sensors till warm, what they call closed loop. Could try cleaning the Idle control valve/ throttle flap. Have you checked for air leaks?
Merlin Tec, thanks for that, no, does it from cold, Hot, whatever, idle control valve seems a good place to look and will check for air leaks as well, Ill let you know how it go's. Thanks.