To sell or not to sell. Decision time!! - NickS
Afternoon back-roomers!

I am in search of some advice (and hoping to be led astray.....) from you fine people.

I will be taking delivery of my first company car on Friday (I will be working on site, and have taken the car so mine doesnt get ruined) and am wondering what to do with my exisiting Golf 2.0 GT TDI.

It is an '05 reg with 70k on the clock. I paid £10.5k for it a year ago, and am somehwat unwilling to take a massive hit on it. I presume i wont get much more than £7.5k for it now.

Now i have a practical car from work, i quite fancy swapping it for something exotic, like an Alfa 147 GTA, or some form of convertible (Saab 9-3 Viggen?).

My question is, do garages usually entertain straight swaps, or am i better off trying to sell it privately. My concern with the private sale route is that people seem to get scared if a car has done more than 40k miles, whatever its age!

PArt two of my thread is to recommend something fun, but not ridiculous (no XJS V12's) to replace it for around the same money. Maybe one of the above, or a Cooper S?

To sell or not to sell. Decision time!! - Mr.Tee43
Sorry to say this but I suspect that its value is nearer 5k than the 7.5k.Just a gut feeling though.
To sell or not to sell. Decision time!! - Wee Willie Winkie
Yes, I've been trawling autotrader for a Golf and found that age and miles go for around 5.5-6k.
To sell or not to sell. Decision time!! - DP
There are a couple of 80,000 mile 04 cars in the Trader this week for £5k, so I would suggest £6k tops. There's actually a 46,000 mile 05 car for £5700

Late mk4 130s seem to be fetching more than early mk5 140s.

Edited by DP on 11/03/2009 at 18:34

To sell or not to sell. Decision time!! - Mapmaker
XJS V6?

Should get a very nice one for the paltry amount you will get for your Golf - or a nice one with a soft top.
To sell or not to sell. Decision time!! - Avant
You could think about an MX-5 or (as I did) a BMW Z3. For me at least, a fun car has to be a convertible - purists who put handling precision above everything would disagree. It depends what you consider to be fun!
To sell or not to sell. Decision time!! - ifithelps
No doubt the company car will do 0-60mph in 10secs, handle well and have plenty of toys.

Trying to find something sufficiently different to be interesting for the budget is a challenge.

As a recent convert to convertible motoring, I'd support that idea, a folding roof is something the company car cannot compete with.

If the OP had ever thought about taking up motorcycling, now might be the time to do it.
To sell or not to sell. Decision time!! - nick1975
you are working on site, and you are worried about at 4 year old golf with 70k getting ruined??? i dont really understand that. How is it going to get ruined?

Is there no cash alternative?

if so surely its better to take the cash than run 2 cars. With the cash saved you could hire a Lambo.

Edited by nick1975 on 12/03/2009 at 12:35

To sell or not to sell. Decision time!! - NickS
No cash alternative, just 12p per mile if I choose to use my own car. As I will be carting steel and other civls related items around, and making frequent visits to other sites, I dont want to completely devalue my car (more than it has already). And 12p a mile is a bit derisory when im responsible for tyres, maintenace, fuel and depreciation. And the company car is fully expensed.

Running two cars is not the issue, as my other half will use the other one, so selling mine and not replcaing it is not really an option.

I just wondered if (even more so now, given the projected "value" of my Golf") I could chop it in for something a bit more fun, that has hopefully lost most of its vlaue already.

Z3 idea is good...........

Any thoughts on why the Mk5 has devalued more than the equivilent Mk 4 did?

Wish I had kept my V6 4Motion that I sold a year ago now. :-(
To sell or not to sell. Decision time!! - rtj70
Before getting a fuel card, with a fully expensed company car I'd get more than 12p per mile for a company car. Using your own for 12p a mile is a joke. Cover the fuel and nothing else.
To sell or not to sell. Decision time!! - DP
Any thoughts on why the Mk5 has devalued more than the equivilent Mk 4 did?

Most mk4 owners I know saw the mk5's interior finish and exterior styling as a step backward from the mk4, and have not upgraded. They've either stuck with their mk4's or changed brands. I certainly agree that the mk4 is still an elegant shape which looks amazingly fresh for a design that was introduced over a decade ago. While the car itself hasn't proven to be the paragon of reliability that it was made out to be, it still has a real premium look and feel to it, which people are drawn to.

Of course, many say the mk5 is a better engineered car underneath, and there's probably some truth in that, but we all know that perception is a far more effective creator of demand than fact in a market where most buyers neither know or care about engineering, but can spot cheap plastics a mile off.

The 2.0 PD TDI 140 engine also doesn't seem to enjoy the same reputation for sheer bulletproof reliability as the old 1.9 PD TDI 130 unit.
To sell or not to sell. Decision time!! - loskie
I bought an ex demo MX5 sport last year for £14.5k in a straight sale. Would expect around £9k as a realistic trade value. Unfortunately this I think is down to a combination of a vast over supply of these cars and a facelift model just launched(being launched). A lot a pre reg again adding to the depreciation and cars being sold with 3 yrs 0% finance and discounted at Mazda dealers. I suppose that with the very nature of a car as this it will be a luxury item which people won't keep for long. People may buy them on a whim and decide it's not for them.
To sell or not to sell. Decision time!! - SteVee
Unless you hate the Golf (and nothing in your post suggests that you do) then keep it.
If you see something that takes your fancy (aprilia v4 ?) then go ahead and change, else why bother taking such a big hit ?

Why isn't the golf 'fun' ?

(I thought it was only me that preferred the Mk iV :-) - but it's some time since I drove one)