Diesel engine design - diddy1234
How common is it these days for car makers to team up with a rival and develop a new diesel engine ?

I know that GM had worked with Fiat to develop the 1.9 TDI engines.
These are used by Saab, GM and Fiat.

I understand (but could be wrong) that Kia / Hyundai use the CRDI engines developed from Detroit Diesel Corporation which is a bit odd if true as DDC develop big diesel engines for lorries.

So who else works together to design diesel engines ?
Diesel engine design - ron
Well let me see...

Ford use the Peugeot-Ctiroen 1.6, 2.0 and the 2.7 twin-turbo Hdi engines (rebadged as TDCi).
Honda used the 1.7 Isuzu (GM) lump in their Civic CDTi's from 2002 onwards.
Honda used the Rover diesel during the nineties.
BMW 2.0 4 cylinder detuned engine in the Rover 75 (but they did own them at the time)
You tend to find some Renault engines cropping up in Nissan's these days also.

And, of course, don't forget the 3 cylinder VW blue motion engine appearing in the Enzo, oh no wait, that bit might be wrong!
Diesel engine design - craig-pd130

and all VW group cars use common engines, too
Diesel engine design - Woodspeed
Very common indeed !
Diesel engine design - PR {P}
Has the new Ford Ka got the Fiat 1.3 diesel in it (unsurprising really!)? Not sure about sharing of the petrol engines.

Renault own 40% of Nissan hence the sharing there.

The GM/Fiat alliance was more GM took the Fiat diesel engine and Fiat took the GM 2.2 and 3.2 petrol engines.(The 2.2 is about to be dropped and I would wager the 3.2 will soon follow).
Diesel engine design - Sofa Spud
The Land Rover Defender now has a Ford Transit 4-cylinder diesel engine, LR having ditched their own Td5 5-cylinder diesel. Other Land Rover and Jaguar diesel engines are Ford too. Not surprising, since Ford owned LR until a few months ago.
Diesel engine design - jc2
Ford do not use the Peugeot/Citroen engines-it is their own engine;they were involved with the development and manufacture-it is in fact called the Ford/PSA engine range.The 1.3 diesel in the Ford Ka/Fiat 500 is made in India.

Edited by jc2 on 11/03/2009 at 16:59

Diesel engine design - Old Navy
Ford do not use the Peugeot/Citroen engines-it is their own engine>>

You only have to start and drive a Ford/Pug/Cit engine to realise that Pug/Cit had a lot more to do with the design than Ford. The Ford version is based on the PSA DW10 engine, which they market as the HDI and replaced the XUD engines.
Diesel engine design - Mick Snutz
so what diesel engines are still made in Dagenham then?
jc2, the 1.3 diesel engine for the 500 is made in Poland (Bielsko Biala). I believe the Ford Ka version is also built there.

Diesel engine design - Lud
The major constructors, some connected with other engineering and industrial firms, all own chunks of each other in a bewildering network. In effect the car industry is a world cartel.

Someone posted a link to a schematic diagram of the main connections in a previous thread. I thought I had bookmarked it, but apparently I haven't. Damn!

It would need updating to cover the expansion of the Indian and Chinese industries.

Edited by Lud on 11/03/2009 at 17:51

Diesel engine design - mss1tw
In effect the car industry is a world cartel.

Boom boom ;-)
Diesel engine design - Lud
Boom boom ;-)

Er...?
Diesel engine design - mss1tw
Er...?

CARtel
Diesel engine design - jc2
Fiat 500/Ford Ka are made in Poland but not the engines.
Diesel engine design - Old Navy
so what diesel engines are still made in Dagenham then?

>>
This link may help.

tinyurl.com/ctaad8
Sorry jc2 the engines are also made in Poland. Check out the link from when they suspended production of it.....

www.eurocarblog.com/post/588/fiat-has-suspended-pr...e

They also have a factory (or JV in India)