97 1.3 Engine revving when clutch pressed - Magical Trevor
1997 Ford Fiesta Ghia 1.3 (81,000 miles)

I drove from London to Devon a little while ago and when I came off the motorway in Exeter the engine started severely over-revving when I pressed the clutch whilst stopping (up near 5,000 rpm). Initially I thought it might just be the accelerator cable sticking but I had similar problems on the way back (cleared if I stopped for 10 minutes or so).

Since I got back I've cleaned the idle speed control valve but the problems still persisting, engine revs a bit more when I press the clutch moving up gears and revs even more when changing down gears or stopping. Also the revs can fluctuate whilst stationary, between 700-1200rpm.

Do you think replacing the ISVC will help? Should I replace the TPS as well or do you think this could just be adjusted? (if so, any advice on how would be much appreciated).

As much as possible I'd like to do the work myself rather than take it in somewhere so as much detail as possible would be great.

Cheers
Trevor
97 1.3 Engine revving when clutch pressed - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Try this. Locate the engine management fuse in the fusebox by the left hand suspension turret, its a 3 amp fuse, and remove it. Have a cuppa and put it back in. Start the engine without touching the throttle and let it idle for 10 mins. Switch off, restart and immediately go for a 5-10 mile run. Should sort it.