1999 1.8 Tapping noise from under the bonnet ?? - jp147
Tapping noise from under the bonnet?
This question is about a 1999 Ford Focus 1.8 petrol 79k miles.

This afternoon when I started the engine up, I noticed a tapping type noise coming from under the bonnet which increases as the engine speed (revs) increases. I went to a non-ford garage and he seems to think it is coming from the timing belt area and then I went to a ford dealer and he thinks that it may be coming from the timing belt cover area. I don't think the noise is from the tappets because the oil level is between min and max on level ground.

Given that I had the timing belt, tensioner and idler pulley renewed at the same ford dealer I asked today in May 07 and had done about 15k miles since do you think this is the likely cause ?

Also I have posted other questions concerning an oil change I had done last November when they put 10w-40 oil in. Like I said I went back the following day and they supposedly put the correct 5w30 oil in. If they had been dishonest and not done what I requested could this have caused the noise I have now i.e. to do with the thicker 10w40 oil and the tappets issue ?

Thanks
1999 1.8 Tapping noise from under the bonnet ?? - Number_Cruncher
>>Also I have posted other questions concerning an oil change I had done last November when they put 10w-40

Yawn.

Have you ever read the story of the boy who cried wolf?

1999 1.8 Tapping noise from under the bonnet ?? - mattr1983
hi did you find out what the problem was i think i've got the same thing tapping sound near timing belts that were changed approx 5000 miles ago