When do Dealers register cars - IanJohnson
Wife's car was traded in in January.

Letter from DVLA recieved 9th Feb confirming their records updated.

NIP received Tuesday advising 39 in 30 and asking for drivers name.

She was indignant (an understatement) and rang the dealer who checked and then went all defensive and apologetic - I guess they still have the car.

DVLA say there is no current keeper registered . . . . . . . . . . .

Police appear to have sent the NIP to tha last known keeper - we are dealing with that.

Now I can understand why dealers don't register stock for sale (adds more keepers) but surely stock for sale should only be on the road for test drives/repairs and the like.

If they are using it as a pool car or a staff car (unlikely that a Ford dealer woud use a Corsa as a courtesy car) should they not register it in their name?

The camera is around 30 miles from the dealer so unlikely to be a test drive!

Are there rules on when a Dealer has to register cars they are using??????

{typo in header corrected}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/03/2009 at 10:57

When do Delaers register cars - TheOilBurner
Do you send back the part of the V5 to the DVLA which states you have a traded in the car? I mean, do you send it *yourselves*, never trust the dealer to do it, as it's the legal responsibility of the owner.

If so, then you have nothing to worry about, otherwise it might get a bit messy...
When do Delaers register cars - Falkirk Bairn
Photocopy Sales invoice / trade-in documents + DVLA Acknowledgment and return the NIP with explanation that car belongs to a dealer and you cannot possibly know who was driving the car as the dealer bought it from you in January.

End of story - for you and the wife.
When do Delaers register cars - IanJohnson
I am not worried about the Wife's NIP - dealt with by copy of letter from DVLA returned with completed NIP.

Question was about what the dealer may have done and if they broke any rules - someone using a car wthout declaring keeper to DVLA!
When do Delaers register cars - retgwte
only breaking the rules if not taxed and insured if driving on normal plates, doesnt need tax if on way for booked MOT or being tested as part of MOT for instance

and quite possibly it was on trade plates, you may well find trade plates were on the parcel shelf or some such, in which case it only needs to be insured

When do Delaers register cars - ijws15
Stranger and stranger . . . .

Refund of RFL arrived today, We did not send it back!

Probably being driven without tax as well.

Did not need an MOT, about 16 months old.
When do Delaers register cars - ijws15
Looks like no-one in the trade wants to tell us how it works . .

Not surprising really!
When do Delaers register cars - ifithelps
Looks like no-one in the trade wants to tell us how it works . .>>

It's Sunday, busiest day of the week for some showrooms, so everyone in the trade is too busy doing deals to post answers on here.