BMW Deals on the Web - BirkbyBK454
Hi
I know this sounds naff but I have never bought a car having always been ?lucky? enough to have a company car and a big millage user.

I am now retired having bought my company car when I retired which is now ten years old , I am 60 .

I would like to buy a new car and have seen the deals offered on the web in particular BMW 5 series (which I drive now) appearing to show a circa £14K saving.

I have rung the company and was very surprised by their openness I telling me that the cars were manufactured in 2005 and have never been registered so an 09 plate is what you get.

No BMW guarantee but they give a 1 year warrantee and you can purchase a further two years for a sum.

What?s the downside you seem to get a great speck car for a big saving however even in retirement I will do about 20K miles a year so I need to know it will not let me down.

I am niggled by the stories of cars being left in fields for years and rusty brakes etc

Any comments would be appreciated.
BMW Deals on the Web - ole cruiser
Decent of them to be honest, I agree, but I'm afraid I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial.
BMW Deals on the Web - CJay{P}
Decent of them to be honest I agree but I'm afraid I wouldn't touch it
with the proverbial.

Why not?

I think it is a good deal. After the first year, you can get a good third party warranty (say warranty direct - my personal experience has been very good), and you can run the car as long as you want to. Even 5 years of additional warranty would cost less than £2k, by which time you will be over the 100k mark.
BMW Deals on the Web - CJay{P}
One thing to bear in mind is that you will be getting a pre-facelift car. Even then if you can get a 'brand new 2005', 520D for say £14k, that is a very good deal IMHO.

Edited by CJay{P} on 04/03/2009 at 19:06

BMW Deals on the Web - BirkbyBK454
Thanks to all for that fast response the cars are all
525i SE 4dr Auto
BMW Deals on the Web - BobbyG
Birkby, can't answer your question but a few thoughts.

First of all, you are not saving £14k. You would only be saving £14k if it was a brand new car and there were no discounts on it. Buy a brand new BMW and I would guess that you would get some sort of discount. Look at, say a 1 ot 2 year old BMW same spec, how much are they going for?

What you are getting is that car for that money, just don't try and convince yourself you are saving money by doing it. As is mentioned on here many times, and in many threads, cars are only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. And when you come to sell it that will also be the case.

My personal opinion is if the car is good value for the money, and compared to what else I could get for the same money, then I wouldn't have an issue buying it just because its been sitting unused.

But I find it strange to think that someone has had these cars sitting doing nothing, tying up money for all these years?
BMW Deals on the Web - rtj70
I am also surprised these have been sat around unregistered for so many years. And the saving is not £14k for the reasons suggested by BobbyG above.

I wonder if the car has been sat somewhere like South Africa or similar (RHD market) and has not appeared in the UK until now.

I am not saying it's a good or bad deal. It is not a new car though is it. Build nearly 4 years ago.

Edited by rtj70 on 04/03/2009 at 19:57

BMW Deals on the Web - jbif
Search Autotrader for BMW 5 series, 525i SE, 2009, under£25000, 0-1 years old, national, any mileage.

You should see 6 or 7 hits for brand new top spec cars for £21k to £23.5k; spec which usually includes "Leather Trim New Unreg. PDC, Auto Climate Air Con, CD6, Telephone Kit, Comfort Electric Seats, Anti Dazzle, Maple Wood, Sports Leather Wheel, Active Front Steering, UK List £39,100 "

BMW Deals on the Web - midlifecrisis
I did read somewhere these cars came from Malaysia. Can't remember why!

(Not very helpful I know)