05 1.9 tdi starting problems - chumiester
hi please can anyone help! i have a passat tdi 05 . it has developed a starting proplem
when you put the key in it says's engine fault . and the glow pluge flashes. it turns over fires up then dies. sometimes it sat's steering colum defect! i have had it pluged in twice and they say there are no fault codes. it say's intermittent starting blocked ecu! please help its driving me mad!!!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/03/2009 at 18:35

05 1.9 passat tdi 05 starting problems - Peter D
Have you tested the glowplugs and checked the coolant sensor and connector. Regards Peter
05 1.9 passat tdi 05 starting problems - chumiester
thanks for the reply i will check them out cheers
05 1.9 passat tdi 05 starting problems - Peter D
Check the battery voltage first thing in the moring before you start the cat and measure the voltage on the clamps not the lead terminals. Regards Peter
just been into vw dealer they said it is a softwear problem £1200 just for the parl has anyone heard of it thaks
05 1.9 passat tdi 05 starting problems - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I'd suggest an immobiliser problem, Are you not under warranty? Try the spare key. If it wont start also try getting out, locking and unlocking then trying again. I cant see how a flash upgrade to the software can cost 1200 after all its not a BMW is it?
thank's for the reply! its the same with the spare key, i was thinking immobillser or egnition switch! just out of warranty! its booked in to vw for full diagnostic on friday .so i'am at there mercy !!
05 1.9 passat tdi 05 starting problems - nnnoo

Hello, I have the same problem with my passat - how did you resolve it? It only started doing this since I took it in for a service but the garage are having none of it? Please tell me how you got on. It is driving me mad too and the garage just see young girl and think they can tell me anything! Help!

05 1.9 tdi starting problems - Whistler

Hi i have the exact same problem with my 05 passat tdi. Just wondering if you had any luck getting it resolved?

05 1.9 tdi starting problems - Ash110

Hi, I have the same problem and is random. I might go for weeks and not get any problems and on other hand every time I start on a particular day I will have this problem.

Glow plug light flashes so the engine will not turn over, on occasions I get the Engine Fault message display, the steering light comes on too on occasions making a clicking noise.

The glow plugs have been changed along with the other bits they fit into.

Has anyone resolved this fault or found out what is causing this?

Cheers,

Ash

05 1.9 tdi starting problems - dieselnut

Is your car the B6 model where the key fits into a slot on the dash? If so, this could well be caused by an intermittent fault with the electronic steering lock. The lock can be repaired DIY if you are handy with a soldering iron, otherwise it can be an expensive fix requiring a new module. Being a VW, there has been no recall for this common problem & you just have to dig deep into your pocket. You really need a code read to determine exactly what the problem is. Below is a link to an excellent site which explains how the overly complicated system works :-

sites.google.com/site/1810martin/b6-steering-fault