The truncated rev range myth? - Statistical outlier
Time and again on here we see the statement that diesels have great shove, but run out of steam as the revs run out at 4.5k.

I just don't get this at all.

What is relevant from a drivers point of view is how much of the rev range is useable, not the absolute revs - that's just a number on the dial that could be changed if you wanted.

So, on a couple of typical cars:

My Honda 2.2 diesel.
Useful min: 1600 rpm (35%) (defining this as when it starts to pull hard and is useful to overtake).
Useful max: 4500 rpm (100%) (the red line - it pulls all the way).

My last car (1.8 Xsara VTR)
Useful Min: 2600 rpm (37%)
Useful max: 6500 rpm (92%)

So, my diesel is useable through 65% of it's rev range, my previous petrol through 55%.

Both cars had 3rd geared to be good for about 80 mph. So, in my view, the diesel is slightly better in terms of in-gear range, both in terms of my perceived driving experience, and on paper.

Now, I realise a Honda is not that typical when it comes to useful power up to high revs, but my main point is that the 4.5k redline is irrelevant - write 7k on the rev counter and you'd only be considering % of max rpm, which I think is fairly similar for both.

Edited by Gordon M on 03/03/2009 at 10:52

The truncated rev range myth? - DP
So, my diesel is useable through 65% of it's rev range, my previous petrol through 55%.

I take your point, but by your own figures, your diesel has a useable rev range of 2900 RPM and the petrol 3900 RPM. Yes, as a percentage of the available rev range, the diesel beats the petrol, but that rev range is smaller to begin with.

My petrol Volvo S60 2.0T will pull happily from 1500 RPM (it actually has a flat torque curve from 1850-5500 RPM) through to the limiter at an indicated 6500 RPM. There are diesel engined cars that will blow it away in any measurable performance comparison, but none that I am aware of can get close to that level of flexibility.

Of course, one could argue that revving an engine is needless / tiresome / irrelevant, and that's a whole separate debate, but I still believe diesel engines have a smaller operating rev range than petrol engines.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 03/03/2009 at 11:18

DP, you miss my point. 2900 rpm is just a meaningless number - get some tippex to the rev counter and you could make it any number you like - you can't see in the engine to see what's actually happening.

My point is that the only relevance is the % of the rev range you can use, and how that relates to road speed. A diesel has a different set of gear ratios to a petrol, so the useable road speed for any given gear is likely to be pretty much the same give or take.

This, by the way, is not supposed to be an argument for or against diesel / petrol. I just think the popular "it only revs through 2900 rpm" argument is irrelevant.
The truncated rev range myth? - craig-pd130

I agree. In terms of road speeds, my Mondeo TDCI has a usable range of 35 to over 90 mph in 4th gear. It gives real punch in this range, making it very handy for rapid progress on single-carriageway roads.

Yes, diesels have a "narrow power band", but they have so much torque in that rev range that they can exploit a much taller gear.
The truncated rev range myth? - martint123
What does the current Yamaha R1 do ? walking speed to 100mph in first gear.
The truncated rev range myth? - craig-pd130

True ... but put the R1 engine in a 1.5 ton family barge, without changing the gearing, and it wouldn't perform quite so well :)
The truncated rev range myth? - davidh
I've got a six speed box in the 150 Astra diesel and it goes like stink. On a dual carriageway it goes like a 150 bhp petrol car. On a hill, it feels easily like a 200 bhp plus petrol car. Driven lazily it just flings you up the road.

Dont think I'd go back to petrol now, as its just so darn easy to set off, bumble in traffic, do safe overtakes.
The truncated rev range myth? - Mick Snutz
My wife's Golf TDi PD 130 was a hoot to drive in 4th, 5th and 6th gears. Effortless cruising and real grunt when needing to overtake and hardly ever a need to drop a cog. The revs were irrelevant.
The truncated rev range myth? - TheOilBurner
The way I look at it, in the real world all the extra revs a petrol engine provides are meaningless until you get to 50mph+ and you're willing to drive along with the engine screaming.

At low speeds even in 2nd gear the petrol engine just isn't revving enough to get the full power as quoted on paper. You might only be getting 70-80bhp out of a 150bhp engine at 30mph.

Take a diesel however, and at 2nd gear you can be well into the power band even at 30mph. Therefore you might be making more like 110-120bhp out of a 150bhp engine.
So who cares at that point that it revs lower? When you reach the peak power at 4000rpm or so, change up and find yourself still well in the power band surging forward.

OK, once up to higher road speeds you can keep the revs high in the petrol and trounce a similarly powered diesel, but how often can you do that in the UK with a 60mph single carriageway limit?

Then you move over to motorways and dual carriageways where again the diesel leaves the petrol behind, because lets face it, who wants to be revving the engine hard all day on a longer trip? With the diesel you just flex your foot gently in 5th or 6th and the power available at low revs will see you fly away. Knocking it down to 3rd or 4th all the time in a petrol just doesn't tend to go down well with SWMBO either... ;)

Top this with the fact that you can drive a diesel quickly without having to make the engine scream and then you can move reasonably quick with killing your fuel economy too. Bonus.

And I always swore blind I wouldn't get into a Petrol vs Diesel war.... :)
Oops, going on a bit now, but just adding the point that in my mind I equate a diesel powered car with a petrol engine that's 20-30% more powerful, but not driven to it's fullest revs, which lets face it, that's the norm for most cars on their daily journeys on congested roads..

i.e. I compare in terms of I think a 180bhp diesel drives like a 220bhp petrol engine, providing the driver of the petrol never exceeds 4000rpm. :)

How many people do you see driving who regularly shove their engines above 4000rpm with a manual box? Even an auto in kickdown doesn't tend to go much more above that until you really push it...
The truncated rev range myth? - Stuski
Well my motor don't even get going till 6000 revs, happily revs right up to 9000 revs

That REALLY is outstanding for overtaking on the motorway.
The truncated rev range myth? - DP
I am struggling to express myself here.

Power is Torque x rpm - you can't just ignore the rpm part. That's without the pleasure that using a good petrol engine hard brings to an enthusiastic driver, and which no diesel, for all its accessible shove, can get close to.

Yes, a diesel does more useful work (makes more power) at "everyday" revs, and yes they are often quicker in potter about, A to B, lazy gearchange driving. They excel at providing fuss free thrust in response to a simple prod of the accelerator pedal, which is just what you need in a family car or a motorway cruiser. They also cope with lardy bodyshells and heavy loads far better.

In many ways they are superior for general motoring, but that is not the whole story. The feel of a good petrol engine as it climbs on cam, builds its power delivery as the revs climb, and howls for the redline is a simple pleasure that some of us get a real kick out of.

To take an extreme example, what is more emotive to listen to, a Formula one car, or an Audi R10 TDI Le Mans car? And that's without the engine braking and response to small pedal inputs that diesel engines just don't do. A good chassis, which lets you adjust line on the throttle for example, will always feel more agile and responsive with a petrol engine. They are also lighter engines, which makes them much less challenging to place for optimum handling. There is a reason you can't buy a diesel Lotus Elise or Caterham.

I've posted on here many times defending modern diesels. We have one, and it's superb to drive. I wholeheartedly agree that on today's roads, in today's heavy cars, diesel engines make a lot more sense for general motoring. But impressive as they are, I see them as engines for motoring, not driving. Many see wringing a car's neck on the public road as irrelevant or irresponsible, and that's their look out, but petrols will always do this better than diesels. I am happy to drive a diesel, but frankly not one of my top 10 lottery list is powered by anything other than Super Unleaded.

All IMHO.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 03/03/2009 at 15:08

DP, I sympathise, I'm also completely failing to get my point across.

I believe that the only sensible measure of revs is a % of maximum revs. How power and torque are delivered in relation to that maximum point, along with the gearing, will determine what the car is like to drive. Anything else is just irrelevant IMO - I'm really really not trying or interested in reigniting the diesel vs. petrol debate.

My point is this - most diesel and petrol engines have useful power between about 40% and 100% of their maximum rev range. That's true pretty much whatever - a massively revvy petrol will probably have not much below 40%, a slow revving diesel likewise. Most cars will be geared to put this range, 40% to 100%, at a useful place relative to road speed.

The *absolute* number of revs is meaningless to this argument; if I removed the numbers and gradations from a rev counter, and made sure you couldn't hear the engine, then I bet you'd not be able to tell the difference between a diesel and petrol turbo in terms of performance relative to % max revs. You'd get about the same speed range in a given gear: for example, both would build up to 100% revs as your reached about 80 mph in 3rd.

Yes, in general the power and torque delivery curves are slightly different shapes across that 40 - 100% range, and you may have a strong preference for one shape of curve or the other (I know I do), but the absolute number of revs is just irrelevant - you run out of gear when you reach 100% of the available revs in either engine, not when you reach some aribitrary number.

I think. I also think I may be on my own on this one.
The truncated rev range myth? - madux
Gordon I get your point. Let's say we do away with rev-counters for arguments sake.
Who could tell the difference between 100mph at, say, 3500rpm driving a diesel and 5000rpm driving a petrol car? What about an electric engine? How would you measure that?
They are simply different types of engine.
I think martini23 is right - it is not the rev range that is useful but the range translated into mph.
I have accidentally pulled away in third in an E-Type and accelerated smoothly all the way to 100mph. (Without 'thrashing' the engine.) Such flexibility seems to be rare these days.
My Triumph Sprint, I have to say, seems to offer the best of both worlds. More torque than many sportsbikes at half the revs but if you feel like giving it some revs - wow! what a noise!
(I have been told that Triumph engineers designed it so that all the induction noise is aimed back at the rider. He (or she, of course) gets the full benefit without being obtrusive.
Listen to a Triumph triple overtaking you and all you here is a sort of whistling noise but the rider will be thinking "Boy, this sounds great!"

Whoops - I did not mean to hi-jack your thread or change the subject :)

In many ways they are superior for general motoring but that is not the whole
story. The feel of a good petrol engine as it climbs on cam builds its
power delivery as the revs climb and howls for the redline is a simple pleasure
that some of us get a real kick out of.

Now that I agree with 100%. Which is why despite defending diesels to the hilt above, I might still find myself looking at a petrol next time.... :D

OTOH, a Volvo D5 or BMW x35d when pushed hard also sounds quite sublime in a way that puts most 4 pot petrols to shame!
The truncated rev range myth? - BazzaBear {P}
The way I look at it in the real world all the extra revs a
petrol engine provides are meaningless until you get to 50mph+ and you're willing to drive
along with the engine screaming.

But now you're just as guilty of stereotyping as the people Gordon was bemoaning at the top of the thread.
Not every petrol engine is a Honda V-TEC. My own petrol car has plenty of torque right from the bottom of the rev range, thank you. I can bumble along in one gear and be as quick as 90% of the cars out there. But, being a petrol, I can if I wish allow the engine to sing as you describe, and be quicker than 90% of the cars out there instead! (It doesn't scream though - it growls ;) )
The truncated rev range myth? - SteVee
I wish engineering recognised something like an 'octave' of power.
An octave is the frequency spread from one frequency to double that frequency.

In engineering terms, we could look at an octave of 1000 RPM to 2000 RPM
or 3500 RPM to 7000 RPM.

Using this concept, a modern petrol engine has a rev range of about 2.5 octaves, a diesel is not far off that, I'd suggest about 2.3 octaves.
But - the diesel does hit its upper limit a bit suddenly !

For the Honda V-Tec to have 3 octaves of power, it would need an 8000 RPM limit and still produce usable power at 1000 RPM - and it's *almost* there. I can't think of an engine that can produce a full 3 octaves of power.
Trouble is, Vtec engines tend to be rubbish at low (engine) speeds. Suitable for boy-racers only, methinks.
Trouble is Vtec engines tend to be rubbish at low (engine) speeds.

Exactly! I like the octave way of thinking about it. Revving hard to 9k above 6k does not make it easier to overtake, it means that you've only got a half octave powerband, albeit a brutal and highly effective half octave.

A 'normal' petrol or a diesel will have more like 1.5 octaves of really useable power, geared with overtaking in mind generally, and will surge past things without needing a gearchange.

Once again, I am not arguing for a particular engine; indeed, it's notable that one of the things that the MX5 is famed for is not having much power but having a lovely gearbox - you rev it hard and change a lot, making for an incredibly involved drive.

My problem with a high revving petrol is exactly that - if I need to accellarate from 50 at 6k rpm, I'll be out of steam at 75. That's no better than a diesel, not in purely factual terms anyway.
But why would you want to rev to 9000 (which is thrashing it, with all the associated wear and tear and fuel consumption etc) when a different engine could achieve the same results by changing up at 5 or 6000?
Is that necessarily the case Madux? Every engine will have a design specification, and while revving to 9k would certainly kill an engine not designed for it, I don't see that it is necessarily bad for an engine that is designed to do so...
The truncated rev range myth? - BazzaBear {P}
For the Honda V-Tec to have 3 octaves of power it would need an 8000
RPM limit and still produce usable power at 1000 RPM - and it's *almost* there.

I disagree with that - I was using the VTEC as the archetypal example of an egine which sounds incredibly powerful on paper, but has so little torque that you're eaither scrambling round with your pants on fire, or hardly moving. It's the type of engine which gives petrol engines a bad name in discussions such as this.
My Alfa V6 pulls strongly from little over 1000rpm to 7000 and above.
Not every petrol engine is a Honda V-TEC.

I wasn't thinking of that. Instead I was thinking of the Zafira 2.2 auto I drive most days. Supposedly a torquey petrol engine, and yet the power delivery is so flat and uninspiring it simply doesn't lend itself to having fun at all.

It doesn't help that it only has 4 gears, so at normal road speeds it can only kickdown to 2nd or 3rd and it still isn't generating anything like maximum power by the time the speed limit is reached.

Perhaps I'd be more impressed if it was attached to a good 5 speed manual box.
The truncated rev range myth? - mike hannon
I actually have a Honda 2.2 Vtec. It isn't rubbish at low engine speeds, it is smooth and pulls excellently. As the revs rise it pulls strongly and then at 5200 rpm - wham. It is perfectly possible to drive on suitable roads in nothing but second and third gears (of the four-speed auto/sequential box) with huge acceleration and flexibility at the same time - the 8000 (8300 on the limiter) red line means repeated gearchanges are unnecessary and the maximum speed available is well illegal.
It also ticks over almost imperceptibly, makes a lovely yowl when you wring its neck, and does 35mpg (if you don't Vtec it too much).
Back along I drove a diesel Freelander II with six gears. Yes it was torquey and lively but every time I opened it up it ran out of power in a nastily abrupt fashion at about 4000 rpm, just as it seemed to be getting into its stride and meaning I was up and down the gearbox all the time.
The truncated rev range didn't seem like a myth to me.
The truncated rev range myth? - Woodspeed
Yes, I got a Honda Civic 1.8 vti Estate. Totally usable and granny mode till 6000 then wham. Will take on much more powerful cars which at 6000 are out of puff. They change down, off the powerband (like 210 becomes 150 till the revs rise again) I go on to 8200 and they are a small dot in the mirror. The look of amazement when the old git in the estate car blows them off is wonderful. Not that I get excited over these childish actions - of course!
Best description is like filling a bath of water. Use a small cup to try and empty it. Use a bigger cup to empty it quicker. Or use the smaller cup more often.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

The truncated rev range myth? - woodster
Gordon, I've got your point and I'm with you.
Perhaps most drivers would be better off without a rev counter and then they wouldn't be conscious of the rev range used. And in any case surely it's the length of the gearing (poor words I know, but I'm no engineer) allied to the engine that matters. Other contributors have a good point about the 'feel' of a good petrol engine and throttle response at higher revs, but as a paying customer I have to go for economy and torque is rather luxurious. there are some occasions when I miss a good petrol though.

I wonder if we'd all been brought up on Diesel engines and someone developed this new fangled petrol engined thingy. I bet we'd all be saying how limp and thirsty it was.
The truncated rev range myth? - J Bonington Jagworth
"I bet we'd all be saying how limp and thirsty it was"

Or smooth and quiet... :-)
The truncated rev range myth? - Lygonos
Turbo.

Petrol.

The truncated rev range myth? - Jamesh266
A highly unscientific experiment carried out by me using a petrol and a diesel car of similar power has established the following:

In third gear, the diesel (a Citroen) pulls strongly from around 2000rpm. This equates to 35mph. The oomph runs out of steam at 4000rpm/70mph. The engine is limited to 5000rpm, by which time you can hear a very well muffled thrashing noise from the engine.

Doing the same experiment in a petrol Alfa Romeo gives decent acceleration from around 25mph, which is below 2000rpm. The red line is at 7000rpm, but the car will continue accelerating past this to over 100mph, by which time your ears have the pleasure of listening to the magnificent howl from the engine.

Therefore it is not just the rev range that is superior in the petrol engine, but the range of speed available before you have to change gear. That's not to diss the diesel - it's a fabulously relaxed motorway cruiser, but the petrol engine is far more fun for the driver. That's why I have both cars - horses for courses and all that.
James, you've just proved my point. Sort of.

Doesn't matter which is petrol and which is diesel.

Your diesel works from 40% to 80%, so a 40% useful range.
Your petrol works from 25% through to 100% (110% perhaps given your description), so a 75%+ useful range.

The fact that the diesel runs out at 4000 is immaterial, it's the fact that the two engines have differing useable power bands (in % terms) that makes the difference.