2002 1.6 Speedo - willow
Hi, just looking for a straight answer really.

For several months my speedo has been playing up; it drops to zero and occasionally mileage shows just a bunch of dashes. The radio volume lowers and there is a slight loss of power, after a about 4 miles it kicks in again and all is well. I understand this is a common fault but my local dealer says it may be the cluster or the speedo sensor, either way I am looking at a bill of around £250, can this be right?

Today the ignition warning light came on, then after I stopped, switched the engine on again it went out and has not come back as of yet.

Can someone suggest what I should do for the best and what is the likely culprit?
2002 1.6 Speedo - Stewart_2004
Ive just had this problem with a pug 106 I was the speed sensor sending incorrect readings to the speedo it was an intermitant problem dropping to zero then going to 50mph while idling. The car eventualy gave up and had to call the AA as the sensor controls the ammount of petrol that is given to the engine at diffrent speeds so they guy disconnected the speed sensor from the gear box and the car was fine idling wise I have just purchased a new sensor of ebay for 20 pound have a look and see if you can get one off there. It will be straight forward to fit.
2002 1.6 Speedo - shadyarea
This might help

tinyurl.com/c6fhmq
2002 1.6 Speedo - willow
Thanks for the info shadyarea, hope the new sensor to be fitted today does the trick, fingers crossed.
2002 1.6 Speedo - willow
Thanks Stewart, I am off today to get a new sensor fitted, hope it does the trick. if not it will have to be a new cluster, although I understand this only effected modles prior to 1999, cluster having to be replaced I mean.

It's a shame really because the old girl has been so reliable over the years, 76000 on the clock and still going strong.
2002 1.6 Speedo Problems - willow
Hi all.

To follow on from my last post ref speedo probs with my Focus, all is now repaired thanks to my local auto sparks in Devizes. Symptoms included: speedo dropping to zero then spring back up again after a few miles, radio volume dropping to a whisper, power loss, very lurchy at slow sppeds...is there such a word lurchy? Anyway, as it turns out, t'was the speed sensor, the whole job cost £86 and not £240 as quoted from my main Ford dealer.

Edited by willow on 12/03/2009 at 10:58