1998 1.6 Rear Wheel bearing - RichieW
Hello all,

I am wondering if its possible to change the rear wheel bearing at home or whether the job requires a hydraulic press to remove or install the bearing and therefore best to leave it to a garage. I have the Haynes manual at home but I'm a bit skeptical of the advice therein.

I would also like a some confirmation of my diagnosis of the wheel bearing being at fault in the first place. I get a metalic grinding sound from the nearside rear wheel when I apply the brake pedal. I have removed the rear drums on both sides on the rear axles and there is plently of "meat" left on the shoes and no signs of metal grinding on metal hence the wheel bearing being at fault as the brakes appear fine.

Many thanks

Rich
1998 1.6 Rear Wheel bearing - piston power
Spin the wheel any noise?

Feel for any play from side to side?

Yes you can do it at home you will have to knock the bearing out if your compitent.
1998 1.6 Rear Wheel bearing - RichieW
There's no noise when I spin the wheel, it only appears to grind when its under load ie when braking. I had the the hub off today as it comes away complete with the brake drum which I needed to do to look at the shoes. The back of the hub bolts to the rear axle so you dont have to remove the hub nut or bearing to do this. I spent a good few minutes pulling,pushing and spining the bearing trying to get get a grinding noise out if it but it wasn't playing ball and seemed rather smooth. I can only think that I couldn't put enough weight or sideways force into the bearing in order to get it to misbehave.

It runs fine on the car until the wheel loads up a little under braking. I dont honestly think it s the brakes making the grinding as the only shiny bit of metal is where it should be on the inside of the drum. The shoes look fine and there's no sign of metal to metal contact on them.
1998 1.6 Rear Wheel bearing - piston power
The noise of a worn bearing would be present when you spin the wheel or you could feel any free play.

Take a look at the brakes now is there a lip on the drum? ( grind/buff off)

Are the wheel cylinders ok not leaking? do the pistons work ok?

These are adjusted up ok?

Its very difficult at a key board when you can't hear the noise! maybe take it to a garage for a second opinion.