AUDI TT Petrol or Diesel - mattbod
I wonder what would be the best choice for this car? the Diesel seems to fit the grand tourer bill perfectly with its high torque and excellent economy. However I have been made cautious about Diesels from reading this site: ie particulate filters, complication and apparently refinement being sacrificed with the Euro 5 standards (why?). Still Diesel still looks attractive in many cars: The FIAT Bravo for one with 120bhp and 220 lb ft torque and nearly 60 mpg. Have I just been spoiled by my Fabia VRS and as and when I get rid of it ( as I said in the VRS post I can't see that happening for a while) should I give Diesel a miss. I don't do high miles but like the effortlessness.
AUDI TT Petrol or Diesel - woodster
I had a rather careful drive of my colleague's brand new (petrol) TT yesterday and we addressed this very question, coincidentally. I'm a committed Diesel fan, for that easy pace and economy. The very things you'd get if you had a Diesel TT - But somehow I can't quite see it. If I was in the market for a TT I wouldn't be so concerned about economy and the 197bhp 2 Litre petrol is reasonable on the juice whilst plenty quick enough. certainly doesn't feel like it's lacking torque for example. It's a brave move on Audi's part and an interesting option, but I doubt I'd actually plump for it.
AUDI TT Petrol or Diesel - daveyjp
Go for a DSG and either will be effortless. I don't see many new TTs, but I've noticed the last few I've seen with the engine identifier have all been diesels.

For me low mileage=petrol.
AUDI TT Petrol or Diesel - mrmender
Diesel the fuel of satan
Driven by real men who play rugby, not footballers who kiss each other....
AUDI TT Petrol or Diesel - smokescreen
I've recently changed from a HDI 110 mapped at 140bhp~ ish, to a 1.8T VAG unit mapped to 215bhp~ ish. The torque delivery from the 1.8T, whilst doesnt quite start as low as the HDI unit, certainly isnt lacking, especially with some load on the engine. 6th gear in-gear acceleration is brilliant.

I havent spent much time in a car with the 2.0TFSI, but putting aside the fuel pump issues of this engine, I'd imagine it would be just as nice to drive as a diesel in a lazy manor. Bit of a no brainer if you dont do mega miles, even with having to use super unleaded.
Yeah, I reluctantly admit that it's nowhere near as clear as it was 3/4 years ago. Had a bit of a thrash with another Golf yesterday and whilst I showed a clean pair of heels it showed the limitations of mine. (GT TDi) Anything up to 8/10ths is good but then there's nothing more to come. The car's reasonably brisk and quite satisfying, but ultimately doesn't have anything more in it's repertoire beyond that nice briskness. A satisfying car to own but lacking that last little bit if you really want to press on. I certainly wouldn't bother a track with it but you would with a 1.8T petrol. Beyond the engine the brakes didn't tolerate a few hard pushes very well either!
AUDI TT Petrol or Diesel - Pugugly
I have driven performance diesel six pots for years. Whilst I loved them for many reasons (including financial) - Mrs P's Golf GTI is a tastier motor for being a petrol - incredibly smooth after years of diesel motoring it is my car of choice these days if I want to go somewhere quickly. Diesel engines are, I believe, heavier as well so do dull the driving experience unless the maker has factored into the design (like a certain German maker actually manages with a 50/50 weight distribution on the chassis) - newer diesels are thirstier than their predecessors and arguably less reliable than petrol engines, and cheaper petrol isn't to be sniffed at either.
AUDI TT Petrol or Diesel - yorkiebar
" newer diesels are thirstier than their predecessors and arguably less reliable than petrol engines, and cheaper petrol isn't to be sniffed at either. "

I think this probably answers the question, and on other examples too !
AUDI TT Petrol or Diesel - Alby Back
I had 13 years of diesels. Still got one as a spare but like PU, I have a petrol car too. Have to say, no matter how refined a diesel can be made, when it comes down to it, I much prefer the way a reasonably powerful petrol car drives.

BTW, I used to be OK at Rugby.....

;-)
AUDI TT Petrol or Diesel - Xtype
My partner has the TT TDI and her brother has the petrol TT (both 58 plates) and they are both great cars. On long runs you can get around 55mpg from the TDI and the car has loads of torque and is a great drive. The reason we brought the TDI was the residual value is a little higher than the petrol and the economy is also great. There wasn?t a massive difference in price between the two versions and we managed to get around 4% off from a local dealer which was slightly more than the internet brokers could manage.
The TDI is also a little safer with 4x4 drive and as she is a young driver then I felt more comfortable her driving that than the front wheel drive petrol. It also doesnt sound like a diesel, its very quiet and has a rough throaty sound to it.
If it was me buying it then I would probably go for the petrol as it feels a quicker car, something you can have a lot of fun with, that?s not to say the TDI isn?t but for long-term ownership the low running costs swayed it. Her brother?s petrol manages around 35mpg going from Wales to Birmingham twice a week.
Id avoid most of the optional extra's if you?re buying new as you will never get your money back. The standard spec on the car is pretty good, the only options we had were rear parking sensors and a ISOFIX child seat just incase any children should appear soon - although this is not the ideal car to have a child in.
The back seats are pretty useless but handy to have for short journeys.

Overall id say which ever model your choose you will be happy with, they both drive great and handle well. The TDI with 4x4 is great in the wet and very sure footed.
I think with the way fuel costs are going then the TDI will be more desirable in the future so from a financial point of view this may swing your choice.

Edited by Xtype on 01/03/2009 at 12:05

Interesting to see Audi's 'base' 1.8 petrol in the A4/A5 now at 185 bhp - a very healthy output by anyone's standards. decent torque and economy too. Engines like these put the Diesel/petrol argument into focus, I think.

Think it was Pug posted about the Petrol Golf Gti - I'd have to agree. My GT TDi makes a case for itself as a GT but it's no GTi as we know them. I'm seriously tempted but I reckon it'd just about double my fuel bills. I wouldn't be able to moderate the foot.
Go for it----you know you want tht smoothness....my Gti runs at about 30 to 35 mpg depending on driving style.
AUDI TT Petrol or Diesel - mattbod
Very interesting and seems a hard choice with the Audi. I think with my other example of the FIAT Bravo, t would be a lot harder to choose. I think the 1.6 Diesel in 120 bhp form sounds a cracker with 221 lb ft at only 1500 rpm. Anyone driven this engine?
AUDI TT Petrol or Diesel - maz64
FWIW Fifth Gear did a Audi TT TDI v BMW 123d - you can see it on youtube:
www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&v=iY8UdidVajU&gl=GB

They preferred the BMW.

I had a Seat Leon FR TFSI with the same petrol engine as the TT for a year, and thought it was a great engine - loads of torque from low revs, with power higher up as well.

F
Go away Pug, you're like the Devil in my left 'earole. What's that? 237 bhp Anniversary? NO!!
Still chippable beyond 237bhp !
AUDI TT Petrol or Diesel - cjehuk
I have a petrol TT 2.0T FSI and have averaged 37.5mpg over 18500 miles, with a low of 28 and a high of 47mpg on a tank. Given the diesel is more to buy, less smooth and the 2.0T is a peach, I'd go for the 2.0T FSI. It readily pulls like a diesel and in some respects is even more flexible.
AUDI TT Petrol or Diesel - xtrailman
A TT with a noisy diesel engine.
No no, don't do it.

Plenty of torque from the 2t petrol.
AUDI TT Petrol or Diesel - oldtoffee
Having had a 2.0TFSi in the Audi's poor relation an Octavia I'd say take the petrol it's a peach of an engine, smooth, quick, torquey, economical (for the performance) and destined to acquire a fan club in years to come. Genuinely quick already, I had mine "prudently" remapped for another 40 bhp and 65 ft/lb of torque and still got 30 mpg easily enough and fantastic acceleration at any speed and revs - IMO miles ahead of any grunty, narrow power banded diesel except perhaps something with a "335" on the boot.

AUDI TT Petrol or Diesel - Xtype
The TDI is not noisy in the TT, if anything its very un-diesel like. Id obviously try both before buying, as not everyone is a diesel fan. The torque in 2nd or 3rd gear when you put your foot down is great!
AUDI TT Petrol or Diesel - PR {P}
Matt, regarding the Bravo. My uncle in Italy has the 1.6 and he loves it. My GF has the 1.9MJet 150 and that is a lovely car to drive. Loads of power and really quite refined. There is a new 2.0 Multijet out now aswell with 165BHP which is apparantly very good. You would probably get a decent discount of a Bravo aswell.
AUDI TT Petrol or Diesel - maz64
There is a new 2.0 Multijet out now aswell
with 165BHP which is apparantly very good. You would probably get a decent discount of
a Bravo aswell.

Drivethedeal: £13117 for the Dynamic (saving £3879), £13339 for the Sport (£3957)