Honda Jazz suspension improvement - BobL
I am looking at buying a second hand Honda Jazz 1.4 manual as a second car, for under £5k. I have driven an older 52 plate model some time ago and the suspension was very hard for rear passengers. I seem to remember that the suspension was changed to make it a better ride but do not know the model/year this was done. Also what is the real life mpg for the urban cycle. Is there any common probs I should look out for on this model?
Currently have a 2001 1.4 206 which seems very thirsty, although I have not got any actual mpg figures
Honda Jazz suspension improvement - doctorchris
We have an 03 model of this car which did not have the suspension modification. TBH I don't think it made a lot of difference.
I reckon that the real life urban mpg will be about 40mpg but on a sensible motorway run you will see 46mpg.
The only problem we've had in 50,000 miles has been the driver's door electric window seizing. Otherwise the car just starts every day and takes you where you want to go.
Honda Jazz suspension improvement - Rhubarb
I'm pretty certain that the suspension changes came with the facelifted '05 models' that became available about Oct 04 (54 reg). These were the models where the radio surround changed from grey like the rest of the dash to a 'chrome' finish.

Edited by Rhubarb on 28/02/2009 at 18:51

Honda Jazz suspension improvement - Bill Payer
The first minor suspension mods were done pretty early in the cars life - I *think* it coincided with the cassette player being changed for a CD. I've driven both and couldn't really tell a difference.

We have a 53 plate 1.4 SE and I wouldn't say the suspension is hard, but it is pretty bouncy.

There was a facelift in 05 (when the dash became silver) and those cars ride quite a lot better, even though the wheel size was increased and it used lower profile tyres.

There are a couple of issues, although up to now Honda have generally rectified them - whether that will continue as the cars get older remains to be seen. One issue is the seams between the roof and C posts can fail causing water to run down into the spare wheel well - people think it's the rear lights leaking as the water runs past them, but it isn't.

Second issue is that some gearboxes are suffering bearing failure. I don't know if that's something you can look out for, or if they just go.

I continue to be impressed by ours - I can get it to show 50MPG no problem, although my wife (it's really her car) seems to consistantly show 46MPG. Touch wood - it's needed absolutely nothing doing to it other than routine servicing and 4 tyres in 5yrs/35K miles. It feels like it will run for ever, it's going to be quite a shock if/when anything does go wrong!
Honda Jazz suspension improvement - ifithelps
BP,

Bit better than a Seat, then? :)
Bit better than a Seat then? :)

Both the car and the dealership are just in a different league. Different universe, really.

The SEAT battle rolls on. Their lastest offer is that they might consider a possible (could that be any more vague :) ) goodwill offer if we buy a new Ibiza.

Edited by Bill Payer on 28/02/2009 at 20:57

Honda Jazz suspension improvement - ifithelps
BP,

Didn't realise you were still in dispute.
Didn't realise you were still in dispute.

"Dispute" would be stretching it a bit - I'm writing down my angry thoughts and posting them (in letters, feels better than emails) to SEAT.

I think it's bizzare that they seriously think that after being in dispute with the dealer who basically stole money of us, messed up the MOT renewal and, according the SEAT Assist (AA) man who attended the car after it broke down 2 weeks after service, didn't change the spark plugs, that we would buy another SEAT from them.

Shame really, it's basically a nice car - it's a lovely drive on flowing open roads compared to Jazz, and its seats are amongst the best I've sat on.

Edited by Bill Payer on 01/03/2009 at 10:41

Honda Jazz suspension improvement - William Stevenson
I can get it to show 50MPG no problem

Probably corresponds to a real 40-45
Probably corresponds to a real 40-45

I think it's a bit better than that, although I don't check rigourously.

A slightly irritating thing is that the fuel gauge is a bit non-linear - the tank holds 42L but at under a 1/4 it'll only take 26/27 litres and and the car has generally done around 300 miles then.
I notice the mileage as I aways reset the trip when I fill up, mainly thinking that one day I'll drive it beyond the low fuel warning coming on, but then I lose the inclination to find the limit.

Edited by Bill Payer on 03/03/2009 at 18:40

It may be sad and obsessional, but I do check rigorously. The computer is optimistic 5-10mpg. I put in 41 litres today coming back from Scotland, because I know what it will do, which is up to 85 indicated miles after the reserve light comes on, if you're careful.
The computer is optimistic 5-10mpg.

Your's is, ours might not be so optimistic. I hope it's not, otherwise when Mrs BP uses it, it may well be doing under 40MPG.

I'll try to remember to check although I'm away for the next 2-3 weeks.
The problem is the comparison with the spuriously elevated figures quoted by people as a Badge of Honour as in 'I get xx.x mpg regularly' when they clearly don't. The surprise is not that the trip computers are wrong, but that they work at all, given that it's a difficult calculation and the MPG figure depends on the vehicle and driver. If one manufacturer gives a falsely high computer figure, the others have to follow suit for obvious reasons, because some people actually believe them. Speedos are obliged to over-read to varying degrees.
If it was merely an accuracy problem, the computer would sometimes read over, or sometimes under but in fact they all over-read I suspect. The Jazz was only about 2mpg over the true value on the 530 mile tankful yesterday, but it's usually 5+ over.
The problem is the comparison with the spuriously elevated figures quoted by people as a
Badge of Honour as in 'I get xx.x mpg regularly' when they clearly don't.

Yes - that's exactly why I said "I can get it to show 50MPG" rather that "it does 50MPG".

Edited by Bill Payer on 04/03/2009 at 13:59