New 09 reg spotting - PhilW
Can I be the first to claim a spot of the new reg?
2 Fiat based camper vans travelling south on M40 near Oxford services at about 10 am today.
Now I would have thought they would have had to be on trade plates as it isn't yet 1st March but no trade plates on the first so I did a closer look on second - definitely no trade plates.
Or am I mistaken about running an 09 plate before March 1st without trade plates?
New 09 reg spotting - harib
Well... I was in my local SEAT dealership getting my car serviced yesterday, and they had two 09 plate Ibizas in there... although obviously they weren't on the road!
New 09 reg spotting - L'escargot
Now I would have thought they would have had to be on trade plates as
it isn't yet 1st March but no trade plates on the first so I did
a closer look on second - definitely no trade plates.

Not everyone abides strictly to the letter of the law.
New 09 reg spotting - Dave_TD
The trade plates may have been laying on the dashboard and therefore not visible to low-down car drivers.

I've seen one 09-plate Polo outside the VW dealers in central Birmingham, funnily enough that's where I spotted my first 58-platers siz months ago.
New 09 reg spotting - bathtub tom
I look out for my first 09 plate with a dent in it.

Perhaps it's because I've never bought a new car, although I have tried.
New 09 reg spotting - carl_a

Perhaps this is a case where if you can't say anything nice, you shouldn't say anything at all Tom.
New 09 reg spotting - MikeTorque
Be nice to all new 09 cars cus one day any of us could be owning/driving one.
New 09 reg spotting - piggy
Be nice to all new 09 cars cus one day any of us could be
owning/driving one.

Speaking for myself,I would be reluctant to buy a "new"car in the present economic climate.Many of them will have sat on a disused airfield for several months.
Better to wait for the backlog to clear.
New 09 reg spotting - loskie
the backlog to clear = the price to rise.
"The trade plates may have been laying on the dashboard and therefore not visible to low-down car drivers."
Overtook them - no plates rear or front.
PS Saw another 09 this morning - a Q7 at Audi Leicester - trade plates just being put in ready for delivery!

New 09 reg spotting - akr
A brand new 09 Fiesta in a really nice blackcurranty/raspberry sort of red drove past me this morning in Leeds at 10.45ish whilst I was out jogging. It looked very smart.
New 09 reg spotting - ifithelps
I saw an 09 Fiesta at about the same time in Hartlepool, Cleveland, although it was pulling off a Ford dealer's forecourt, which one might expect on March 1.
New 09 reg spotting - bimmer-driver
Seen loads today- grey i10, silver Grande Punto, grey 1 series and a bright red SAAB 9-3 cabrio with the roof down. Seems people round here have got fed up of hanging on to thier money and just gone for it.
New 09 reg spotting - Falkirk Bairn
Neighbour's daughter - 09 Suzuki Swift - replaced an 07 Grand Vitara - saving petrol & RFL? or just fancied a new car?
New 09 reg spotting - Armitage Shanks {p}
I think the dealers have done away with the the old time nonsense of opening at midnight and scores of new owners driving away on the stroke of midnight +1. They aren't making enough money on sales to pay the overtime - tough times all round I'm afraid
New 09 reg spotting - Andrew-T
Seen loads today-

People haven't stopped buying altogether then.
New 09 reg spotting - boxsterboy
>> Seen loads today-
People haven't stopped buying altogether then.

Seen none so far.

Maybe people have stopped buying altogether then?
New 09 reg spotting - tom_79
Sorry, wrong message replied to! Could a mod possibly be so kind as to delete this response entirely? Thanks!

Edited by tom_79 on 02/03/2009 at 00:21

New 09 reg spotting - tom_79
Cooper Driver,

I actually saw a grey '09 registered i10 on trade plates back on Tuesday (the 24th), which was my first of the new ones. As I am from the Potteries too it may well have been the same one (at the time it was sat in the queue at the junction of Bucknall Rd. and Dividy Rd.). I was about to post about it when I came upon this message. Isn't it a small world?

Edited by tom_79 on 02/03/2009 at 00:21

New 09 reg spotting - P3t3r
The trade plates may have been laying on the dashboard and therefore not visible to
low-down car drivers.

I'm curious, I've seen this a lot, but is it legal? Surely this won't work with something like ANPR?

I should see an 09 reg car sometime this week... and I'll be driving it too because it will be mine :)
New 09 reg spotting - Pugugly
Having supper with the service manager of a local Honda shop yesterday - he was saying that bike sales are remarkably buoyant, given they are out and out luxuries.
New 09 reg spotting - daveyjp
Saw my first this morning - a Jag XF with what looked to be 15inch wheels - they weren't, but it looked wrong - very 'high' profile tyres.

It also had an 'O' reg and we are in 'Y' Country so it was a long way from where it was first registered, unusual for a first day of the new reg.
New 09 reg spotting - rtj70
he was saying that bike sales are remarkably buoyant, given they are out and out
luxuries.

Unless people are downsizing to motorbikes to save money and time commuting.
Doubt it - bikes are very expensive to buy/insure/maintain and equip.
New 09 reg spotting - The Melting Snowman
>>Doubt it - bikes are very expensive to buy/insure/maintain and equip.

They don't have to be, depends what you buy.
New 09 reg spotting - meltonlad
Now I would have thought they would have had to be on trade plates as
it isn't yet 1st March but no trade plates on the first so I did
a closer look on second - definitely no trade plates.
Or am I mistaken about running an 09 plate before March 1st without trade plates?

i work for a major fleet company and we only deal in brand new cars/vans. we can drive cars on the road upto 4 weeks before they are meant to be on the road only a few firms can do this. you can tell by looking at the tax disc where it states 6 or 12 months tax if there is a +4,3,2 or 1 then it means that it can be used on the road 4 weeks before the tax starts or 3 weeks and so on. we have got over 100 drivers and they often get stopped by the police due to this.
New 09 reg spotting - harib
I went for a run along the seafront today. Obviously with the nice weather, everyone wanted to show off their spangly new cars! I saw three 09 plate cars - a Golf, a Beetle and a Honda Accord Estate.
New 09 reg spotting - Brian Tryzers
>...we can drive cars on the road upto 4 weeks before they are meant to be on the road only a few firms can do this. you can tell by looking at the tax disc ...

Interesting - I had no idea. This might explain the lurid green Mazda 2 I followed past J10 of the M40 366 days ago. At the time I put it down to someone having forgotten that the day after 28 Feb 08 was ... 29 Feb 08, but the 08 plates were clear enough and the trade ones nowhere in sight.

Incidentally, I drove an hour each way through the Cotswolds today without noticing a single 09.

Edited by WillDeBeest on 01/03/2009 at 21:00

Thanks for that Meltonlad - didn't realise that it was possible
New 09 reg spotting - DP
Not one 09 plate car spotted today (a 100 mile motorway / A road trip with an hour spent sitting at the side of the road waiting for a tow!). I did however see two '09' bikes - a Honda Fireblade and a BMW R1200GS

Edited by DP on 01/03/2009 at 22:28

New 09 reg spotting - bathtub tom
I recall a neighbour taking delivery of a new car and using it for a day or two before it's new reg officially started. I questioned him on it and he said he was told by the delivering dealer it was quite legit.

Does this early use apply to anyone driving, or are there limiting conditions?

The question of insurance also arises.

Edited by bathtub tom on 01/03/2009 at 22:49

Not legal - unregistered to all intents and purposes - I know of cases brought as well.
Trainspotters are branded as "anoraks", but 09 reg spotters .......... !

Edited by L'escargot on 02/03/2009 at 07:31

New 09 reg spotting - ifithelps
Saw two on the way to work this morning.

An Audi estate on the road and a Vauxhall Astra in the car park.

I might be paying more attention because I'm buying one, but I'm sure there are more 09-regs about in the first day or two than there were 58-regs.

The Ford place seems busy, so I'm predicting higher-than-expected sales for March.

New 09 reg spotting - bimmer-driver
Just seen an 09 Toyota iQ in that white theyre all in the mags in. Didn't think they were on sale yet though?
New 09 reg spotting - Wee Willie Winkie
I've only seen two on my travels today, a big double decker Stagecoach bus, and a Range Rover TDV8 Supercharged look at me aren't I rich SE luxo barge. To be fair, he had a drawbar on it so must be thinking of using it as intended....

DB
New 09 reg spotting - krs one
Saw 2 today, I waited about a fortnight before I saw one last time around.

Saw the new 7 series as well, very good looking car, far smarter than the current model.
>>Saw the new 7 series as well, very good looking car, far smarter than the current model.

smarter than the previous model? :-)
The old one has matured with age. Looks good now.
I agree PU... I think Chris Bangle moved them forward design wise. Look what Jaguar did for decades and needed to jump over the missed evolved designs. The new 7 series owes a lot to the old one. And we'd not have the 5 series either.

I confess to not liking the current 4 door 3 series though.
Still have a solid white E39 530d if someone has one going.
I'd say do they do a 5 series in solid white. But the review cars for the new Ford Focus RS are white it seems. But you cannot buy a white one.
Oh I've seen a white one !

Those review cars will be at a premium when they make their way onto the streets second-hand.
As Taxis ;-)
New 09 reg spotting - DP
Discovery 3 TDV6 on the M3 yesterday. Doing >100 mph and belching blue oil smoke every time he lifted off.
Bets on engine life anyone? Clearly being driven with the kind of mechanical sympathy one would expect for a £35k vehicle that, at 2 days old, is almost certainly not even run in.

This remains the only 09 reg car I have seen (noticed) in 2 days and 160 odd motorway miles.....

Cheers
DP
New 09 reg spotting - redviper
Last weekend I saw 2 '09 Vauxhall Insignia's - One in Whitby, and One at Teeside Park

All in the same day.

I soooo want one, they look brilliant..

Edited by redviper on 03/03/2009 at 12:17

New 09 reg spotting - Dynamic Dave
I haven't yet seen an 09 reg, or Insignia in the flesh.
New 09 reg spotting - Alanovich
There's an 09 VW Scirocco in the works car park today. Can't make my mind up about them. Yesterday I saw an 09 CRV being driven out of a local Honda dealer, and an 09 1-series BMW on a single-car transporter on its way to being delivered.

Like others have said, I've seen more 09s early on than I did 58s, it was over a week before I spotted one of those.
New 09 reg spotting - redviper
I haven't yet seen an 09 reg or Insignia in the flesh.

I think they are really nice, the photos that i have seen dont do it justice - it looks great in the flesh, so to speak.
New 09 reg spotting - tawse
I wonder if driving a new 09 car now puts you more at risk of vandalism - i.e. the credit crunch, rising unemployment, etc, etc?
Two parked outside my house last night. Both Hondas - mine will be a non 09 once I get round to transferring my plate over from the Roomie.
New 09 reg spotting - tawse
I am convinced you paid full list price for that CRV! In fact, you even agreed to go round the dealership once a week to wash their windows as well!

(hint, hint) ;-)
New 09 reg spotting - turbo11
Still not seen any.
I wonder if driving a new 09 car now puts you more at risk of
vandalism ..........

I think they're open to vandalism fuelled by jealously. Also, there are loads of people wanting their new car on the first day so the dealer won't have the resources to prepare each vehicle so carefully. I personally would wait a few weeks.

Edited by L'escargot on 04/03/2009 at 09:14

New 09 reg spotting - DP
We have our first batch of Insignias at work now (on 58 plates). They do look nice, but they are *huge*!
Interior looks and feels expensive. Can't comment on the drive, but the people who have them love them.

Edited by DP on 04/03/2009 at 09:20

New 09 reg spotting - oldtoffee
Saw my first 09 this morning - a Golf TDI estate, gunmetal grey - nice looking car.

New 09 reg spotting - hjd
Can I claim the first sighting of an 09 reg with L plates on? Bright yellow VW parked in Guildford.

Edited by hjd on 04/03/2009 at 17:55

New 09 reg spotting - frazerjp
I went past two 09 plates on the road today.
Hyundai i30....... & I can't remember the second one :/ within 5 secs of each other.
New 09 reg spotting - diddy1234
I saw a black Kia Rio on an 09 plate on Monday.
shame it happened to be mine when I picked it up.

(sorry couldn't resist as its my very first 'brand new' car).
New 09 reg spotting - RichardW
I saw the first (and so far only) one last night. A Citroen C4 Picasso - which given my affinity for Citroens and the DrivetheDeal advertorial on here showing 30% off, which is tempting me, was perhaps fate???
New 09 reg spotting - turbo11
Saw my first 09(and only) last night.Funnily enough its also the first Insignia I have seen.Hmmm not bad either.Well certainly a big improvement on the Vectra, me thinks.
New 09 reg spotting - TheOilBurner
I'm still yet to see an 09 reg, which considering I've been out and about quite a bit in the car this week (and I have a nose for such things), seems quite a surprise.
New 09 reg spotting - Chad.R
Having a larger Mercedes on my doorstep helps.......I saw my first '09 reg in early February (Yes, that right, early Feb). It was a SL driving into the dealership.

Saw my first "proper" '09 reg very early on Sunday (1st March) morning - a ML driving out of the same dealership.

Edited by Chad.R on 06/03/2009 at 10:43

New 09 reg spotting - Optimist
Saw a couple of Qashqais and a Note in a Nissan dealer yesterday.

Sequential reg so I suspect they may be dealer reg for numbers. Also not in colours I'd pay out money for, but that's just a question of taste.

New 09 reg spotting - Marc
Saw my first one today - an Audi Q5
New 09 reg spotting - Sunny22
Paul Ince's 09 DBS on sunday leaving leeds... How nice... Not like he has much to do at weekends these days :-)
New 09 reg spotting - Sofa Spud
I saw my first 09 reg car today. Quite fittingly, it was a white Toyota iQ, so it was also the first iQ I've seen. A sign of the times.

By the way - what's with 'i' that it has to be used in so many trade names - starting with iPod, iDrive, iQ - Sainsbury's even brand their in-store baked stuff as i.

i is the new cliche!
New 09 reg spotting - boggles
March 6th now, and I have yet to see an 09.
To be honest, until I saw this thread, I had forgotten about the new numbers!
New 09 reg spotting - Lud
There are always lots of new cars round here but I don't do number plate spotting. I didn't do train spotting when I was 13 and there were still real trains either. What I do sometimes is notice a special number plate, but of course those are usually useless for dating the car.

Parked on the corner of my block this morning was a black V10 diesel Touareg bearing the number plate P1 UNY, nicely ironic on such a pumped-up motor.

I've always fancied that car in principle although not as much as a Phaeton with the same engine. The only time I saw a V10 Touareg moving, pootling through a back street near here among the posh restaurants, it sounded like a large rough commercial diesel, but I like to think that being inside one and giving it some welly might make it sound a lot better.
New 09 reg spotting - frazerjp
............ the second 09-reg vehicle I saw was a VW Polo as reminded by my Dad.
New 09 reg spotting - Alby Back
Just doing my books. ( another wild Saturday night in nowhereland ) I note that I have done 1647 miles this week. How exciting I hear you cry ? Point is, I haven't yet seen an 09, but then I do live oop north......
New 09 reg spotting - Dave_TD

first sighting of an 09 reg with L plates on

I saw a dark blue Aygo with P plates on in the week, with a scuff on one corner of the back bumper.

Didn't one of the redtops used to have a picture gallery of bashed-up new-reg motors the day after the plate change?
New 09 reg spotting - bbroomlea{P}
Ive only seen two so far and both pretty unusual!

- Focus ST in White came thundering past me on the A19 - looked very nice as well
- MG TF in Grey in Yarm highstreet - surprised to see one so soon and would rather have seen one in Orange!!