01 3.0 Hand-brake cable snapped - Big Bad Dave
I'm pretty sure I snapped the hand-brake cable this morning. I pulled it on and heard a snap and sure enough now the lever just flaps around with no resistance.

How big a fix is this, what kind of financial hit am I looking at?

I can't get it sorted till next week but I still have to do the school run, there's no danger of lose cables trailing out of the back of the car or anything is there?

Cheers

Dave
01 3.0 Hand-brake cable snapped - Peter D
So you are going to do the school run with the children in, in a vehicle that would be deemed un-roadworthy and would not pass an MOT. Your brake servo fails approaching the school so you grab the handbrake DoooH, and by the time you go down a gear and turn the engine off you have collected a few extra kids and their parents. Yes one or two cable may be hanging down but perhaps when the police stop you, they will point that out to you whilst filling in a FPN and Hort1. Regards Peter
Meanwhile back in the real world...
01 3.0 Hand-brake cable snapped - John24
Hi BBD. Primary cable app.£20 Secondary cables less than £10 ea. I would guesstimate 1 hour d.i.y. Best of luck.
Cheers John

I'm an expat so I just needed a rough indication so I know I'm not being ripped off.

Many thanks.
01 3.0 Hand-brake cable snapped - mjm
BBD,

I think you live in a gated enclosure. Can you run the car up and down it and see if any cables are dangling? It will depend upon where they have broken. You may be able to temporarily attach any "danglers" to something adjacent.

Do they have baler twine in Poland? :)
Most likely point of failure is little widget which connects inner cable to levers or to calipers. Have a look under centre console and see if cable is disconnected from handbrake lever. If this is still secure you need to get under car and trace primary cable connections to each secondary cable. If these are secure, problem is most likely connection to one or other caliper. Breakage of inner cable anywhere other than at extremities is unlikely. Have a look at tinyurl.com/cmkszo
I'll check under the console if I can, John cheers. I thought the snapping noise came from behind me, at first I thought one of the kids had snapped a toy or something. I rarely use the handbrake, it being an auto, I wonder if this contributed to some failure.

Doesn't seem to be anything dangling mjm, little bit reluctant to lie down in 10cm of slush though! :)

Many thanks
"tinyurl.com/cmkszo"

that's a good link
I'm sure you've heard the expression "use it or lose it" ;)).
It went in today and the news is that it's broken (somewhere) in two places and they're replacing all cables and bits. They're also giving it new disks and pads all round, it's due for an MOT next month and disks came up as an advisory last year. Total costs for parts - just shy of 200 quid, I'll break it down when I see the invoice.

It's also getting new ball joints/drop links and track rod ends and something else that I can't translate but steering related. Cost for these parts - 60 quid.

I have to take it somewhere else to get a missing exhaust bracket welded (why don't garages do welding anymore). Another 40 quid.

It's gonna be like a new car, I can't wait to get it back. I'll probably keep it another year now.

Thanks for that website link John, it was a really big help for keeping on top of what they're charging.

Dave
Collected the car this evening.

If anyone is interested, this is what I paid in Warsaw (All prices include VAT)

4 disks came to £94
4 sets of pads £58
Entire hand-brake system £76
2 drop-links £20
2 track rod ends £28
2 ball joints £20
Tracking £28

Labour was £92 (15.5 hours - mental yeah?)

Total cost inc VAT was £416

They also checked all levels, pressures and lights and threw in a rear reg-plate bulb change FOC.

I'm well pleased, the car feels great, should sail through its MOT next month and best of all it's invoice day tomorrow so I'm going to spread the cost out between a couple of clients. Result.