Another bus lane incident. - 1400ted
Walked down to the garage this morning and picked up the Suzi V after a cam belt change. Past the garage runs a bus lane, but only in the direction I wanted to go so pulled off forecourt, crossed the bus lane and turned left into the car lane. It was in prohibited hours. Fair enough, no problem. 50 yards up there was a private coach, the type with the big 'sticky out ears' ( mirrors ) parked on the opposite side of the road.. I don't think there is any parking restriction there. Rattle will know where I mean.
Now, it was rush hour and traffic was pouring towards me in 'my' lane to avoid the coach. I would have put up a fight but the first one was a double decker bus and it was followed by an unending stream of other vehicles. Would I have been allowed to go into the bus lane at this point ? I didn't risk it, as when I had dropped the car off the day before there was a Smart car with cameras on the roof parked on the forecourt of an 'KFC' (Colonel Sanders best ), monitoring the lane. I waited, with a queue of cars behind me until it was clear, no-one else tried to pass using the bus lane.
Ted

slight edit Ted. You'll know where and why !

Edited by Pugugly on 25/02/2009 at 23:47

Another bus lane incident. - Rattle
I actually asked a copper this question and his answer was very vague he said you are not allowed to go in it unless you have no choice, e.g to avoid on coming traffic or broken down cars. In your case I really really don't know what you could have done. I don't know a single person who has been finded for using that bus lane, and I know quite a few people who have been caught at the speed cameras on Edge Lane.

I think you probably did the right thing in just staying out but these things need clearing up, even my driving instructor said these things in a test is often down to opinion.

Slightly OT but I have never worked out the point of that bus lane, as most buses turn round at the Office so even at peak times there is only one bus every 10-15 minutes down that stretch of road.
Another bus lane incident. - 1400ted
I suppose the ' avoid oncoming traffic' bit might have been the 'get'out' but knowing how these snidey, camera mad jobsworths operate I'm glad I didn't risk it.
All our local bus lanes are a complete waste of time and road space.
Was at Palatine Garage, you'll be pleased to know he's open again after his break. Done me a full head and valve job on a 16 valve Renault I sold to my next door neighbour....cam belt broke. Cost £870 split it 50/50 with him, he's only had it 6 months.
Ted
Another bus lane incident. - Rattle
Wow thats very good of you Ted, legally I am sure you didn't have to do that, I suppose if its a neighbour and you sell them a good car in good faith it is the nice thing to do.

I think with the bus lanes you cannot get points on your licence, only a fine.

The biggest joke I have with the bus lane in question is I get beeped for going in there even though its out of hours! All the other people are stuck in traffic and I am wizzing past them just before it ends at Beech Road.