05 1.9TID 150BHP 73 with Clutch Problems - mpdb
Picked up this car yesterday and although I had mentioned the clutch issue to the dealer before the deal was done he said there was nothing he could do bar replacing the clutch but that it wasnt bad enough to replace. He said it could last another 30k miles. The clock currently reads 73k miles. Anyway on my way home I noticed the clutch getting worse and worse and by the time i got home the pedal was not always returning from the floor. Needed to put my foot under it sometimes to lift it back up but once lifted it would stay in its initial resting position. What caused me to raise the issue with the dealer in the first instance was when driving along on the test drive and coming back down through the gears there was a shudder in the clutch pedal. After doing nearly 200 miles yesterday I have ended up with the problem described above with the pedal not coming back to resting position and also the issue of the shudder when coming down through the gears. Clutch is nearly at the floor before it engages. Are these known to give clutch trouble? What should be replaced? It was too late to ring him last night when i got back but I'll be making that phone call tomorrow.

Edited by Pugugly on 07/06/2009 at 15:43

2005 Saab 93 1.9TID 150BHP 73 with Clutch Problems - Altea Ego
Picked up this car yesterday and although I had mentioned the clutch issue to the
dealer before the deal was done he said there was nothing he could do bar
replacing the clutch but that it wasnt bad enough to replace. He said it could
last another 30k miles.

Why did you buy this car?

Take it back and demand your money back,
2005 Saab 93 1.9TID 150BHP 73 with Clutch Problems - rtj70
Do as Altea Ego suggests. I hope you can get your money back. I really hope you buying it despite knowing of a clutch problem does not affect how they deal with you.

As a clutch problem this should really be in technical but I can see it turning into a general discussion so will leave it here for now. The dealer should be the one sorting the clutch out or refunding you.
2005 Saab 93 1.9TID 150BHP 73 with Clutch Problems - gordonbennet
I too would be returning this car but pronto.

You really shouldn't have accepted the car like this, it may well have clutch and DMF problems at the very least and could be a goodly wedge to sort.

Do not let the dealer try to fob you off with claiming on any 3rd party warranty. the vehicle may have been supplied with.

Was the car ridiculously cheap and sold as seen as a trade sale maybe?
2005 Saab 93 1.9TID 150BHP 73 with Clutch Problems - pd
Yes, they are known for clutch trouble. They are the same as the Vectra which is also known for it.

Sounds like the DMF is falling apart.
2005 Saab 93 1.9TID 150BHP 73 with Clutch Problems - harib
Rejection, rejection, rejection! The car isn't fit for purpose. That sounds like an expensive Dual Mass Flywheel and clutch replacement to me. I'm surprised you accepted the car in the first place with a suspect clutch!
2005 Saab 93 1.9TID 150BHP 73 with Clutch Problems - mpdb
Ok lads so just to clarify as to why we went through with it, the dealer in question has noted that clutch problem on the receipt and has given a written guarantee of standing over the clutch issue if it should give trouble.
2005 Saab 93 1.9TID 150BHP 73 with Clutch Problems - drivewell
Clutch is clearly giving a problem, so back to the dealer to have it fixed. If no satisfaction, then make Trading Standards your next stop.
2005 Saab 93 1.9TID 150BHP 73 with Clutch Problems - mpdb
So dealer has taken car back and is upholding his guarantee and replacing clutch and DMF. I didnt really doubt that he wouldnt but I am wondering if this is a common fault with them?
2005 Saab 93 1.9TID 150BHP 73 with Clutch Problems - pd
Yes, it is a common fault with them.
2005 Saab 93 1.9TID 150BHP 73 with Clutch Problems - Altea Ego
not just them. Its a problem across most makes of cars with high torque diesel engines.
2005 Saab 93 1.9TID 150BHP 73 with Clutch Problems - carzman72
I know this is probably to late for you now. But I had exactly the same problem late last year with my clutch pedal doing the same, down to the last letter you describe. I have a 2002 Laguna 1.9dci (I know,say no more),any way it turned out to be the clutch pedal slave cylinder. I had a local garage replace it for me at cost of £150 all in. I thought it was going to cost alot more, but fortunatlely it didn't. I have done some 13,000miles since then and it has been perfectly ok. I also had the same problem with another car some 10 years ago, and once again it was the same fault, from what I can remember that didn't cost a great deal either. I hope you did get it sorted out in the end.
2005 Saab 93 1.9TID 150BHP 73 with Clutch Problems - DP
I know this is probably to late for you now. But I had exactly the
same problem late last year with my clutch pedal doing the same down to the
last letter you describe. I have a 2002 Laguna 1.9dci (I know say no more)
any way it turned out to be the clutch pedal slave cylinder.

The same thing in our 2 year newer, identically engined Scenic left us enough change out of a grand for a few days grocery shopping.

Edited by DP on 07/06/2009 at 09:43

2005 Saab 93 1.9TID 150BHP 73 with Clutch Problems - carzman72
I am very sorry to hear that, it does make me angry when people get charged way over the top like that. As I said I thought it was going to cost a fortune,but because I knew what the problem was and the fact the garage does have a good reputation helped alot. Also it wasn't a dreaded main dealer!