Need a new tyre but advice need on mixing treads - Rattle
My dads P6000 has given up the ghost, the thread is now down to 2mm and it is cracking in the side wall it is at the rear. The other tyre is a V thread Barum with about 3mm on it but both these tyres were on when we bought the car and it has done 15,000 miles since.

We have two 6 month old Kumho's at the front.

If we just replaced the urgent Pirreli would it be legal with a normal thread and a V thread on the same axle? It has alwyas passed the MOT like this but I always thought it was ilegal.

Edited by Honestjohn on 21/02/2009 at 14:43

Need a new tyre but advice need on mixing treads - BazzaBear {P}
You're thinking about mixing radials and cross-plies, which is not allowed. Different tread patterns is fine (legally at least)

Edited by Honestjohn on 21/02/2009 at 14:44

Need a new tyre but advice need on mixing treads - the swiss tony
Thing to bear in mind is - whenever any work of any kind is done on a motorvehicle -drive with extra care, until you are satisfied that the handling etc is ok

also NEVER jump in a car and drive it like you stole it, until you are sure all is well - stick with that ideal, and you will drive safer.

Edited by Honestjohn on 21/02/2009 at 14:44

I rarely drive the car just spent the last couple of weeks doing it up to try and get another 25k out of it (its on 78k now).

Thanks for now we will just get a Kumho fitted and then replace the Barum after next MOT.

Swiss was this is a reference to my friend? I am still kicking myself for not telling her to drive carefully after the work done.

It needs a two pair of rear shoes and adjusters too so budget is a problem. The car is only used in the city and the occassional trip on the M62 so it dosn't ever really see any demanding country roads.
Need a new tyre but advice need on mixing treads - the swiss tony
Swiss was this is a reference to my friend? I am still kicking myself for
not telling her to drive carefully after the work done.

It wasnt meant to be, just general advice.
one thing I always do after doing any work on my vehicles, is to take it for a quick spin around the block, to make sure Im happy with everything.

whatever you do, dont kick yourself over your friend - Im sure she has now learnt the hard way, but people on the whole never like taking advice when offered, I guess we always think we know best.

Im glad BTW that your friend was uninjured from what you siad she was very lucky, some of my friends havent been......
Need a new tyre but advice need on mixing treads - quizman
You might just as well get 2 new Kuhmos, then you have got 4 good tyres. Use the Barum for a spare.
Need a new tyre but advice need on mixing treads - rtj70
As quizman says, maybe get 2 tyres? What's the spare like? You mention problems on the side walls so it needed replacing anyway. What condition is the spare?
The Barum is perfect but only has about 3mm-4mm left, the sidewall is fine. The other one is down to 2mm and is cracking badly. I have not dared to touch the spare because its stored in a tray at the bottom of the car and on this age they tend to rust, and it has to be stored there becasue there is no room in the boot (my dads equipment has to go in there).

The spare is not relevent anyway as my dad dosn't know how to change a wheel he has AA membership for that. I would suspect the spare is not legal though.

I also don't know what size the spare is, because it has those 4 spoke Ghia alloys which have 185/55/14s on them where as the tray is designed for a 13" wheel.

As usual there is a very tight budget as it also needs rear shoes and adjusters.

I will see if I can check the spare, if its a 14" then I guess it makes sense to put the Barum on the spare and get two Kumho's for the rear (Kumho's are the only affordable mid range tyre on this wheel).
If you or your dad has never checked the spare, how do you know whether it is blown up. What use would it be if you had a puncture, how would the AA change the wheel?
It seems incredible that your dad can't change a wheel, a woman maybe but a man!

What sort of rear shoes are you getting?

Edited by quizman on 21/02/2009 at 16:58

I am not sure, but the hand brake is not working properly and it can no longer be adjusted so was told it needed new shoes and adjusters to fix it properly been quoted £60 for that. I wasn't there so don't know anymore.

Last time we had a puncture the AA just took my dad to the nearest tyre depot and it was sorted there, didn't cost anything other than the cost of a new tyre.
£60 seems reasonable enough to me.
I've been a member of the AA since 1968 and have only used them once, for a fan belt on my Mini. I would still prefer to look after my tyres myself though.
Need a new tyre but advice need on mixing treads - daveyjp
With just 3mm left on the other rear I'd swap them both, but I usuaully swap tyres at 2.5-3mm anyway.
Need a new tyre but advice need on mixing treads - jbif

Brakes and Tyres. Enough said. Need I say anymore?

Need a new tyre but advice need on mixing treads - nick
You can skimp on most things regarding car maintenance and the only potential loser long term will be your wallet if things wear out prematurely. The exceptions are brakes and tyres where the loser could be your life.
Need a new tyre but advice need on mixing treads - Mapmaker
Brakes and Tyres. Enough said. Need I say anymore?

Anybody fancy sharing a bit of road with the Rattle family fleet? Thought not...

In my opinion some people are not suited to owning a motor vehicle. Those who run cars that perpetually fail MOTs or have major problems with safety systems should have their driving licences taken away from them.
Need a new tyre but advice need on mixing treads - jc2
I bought two tyres a few months apart-same make,same size,same speed rating-everything the same but the manufacturer(Uniroyal) had changed the tread pattern.
Need a new tyre but advice need on mixing treads - FotheringtonThomas
I don't care about Rattle's mixing of tread patterns, it's very unlikely indeed to result in any problem at all.

However, he says the old tyre is "cracking in the side wall". Using a tyre in this condition is courting disaster.
Need a new tyre but advice need on mixing treads - 1400ted
I was reading the 'questions and answers' feature in the paper today. There had been a question posted about tyres and mixing crossply with radials. A reader sent in an answer which was very comprehensive and apart from the original question, said that it was not wise to mix different different tyres, even from the same manufacturer and always buy two for any particular axle.
The real interest point came at the end of his post...'Always fit your best tyres on the driven wheels'...rather at odds with all the advice given to fit new tyres on the back wheels ! He was a retired senior tyre designer from the Midlands. Over many years experience, I have always fitted new or best tyres on the front as a lot of the weight transfers there under braking.
Ted
Need a new tyre but advice need on mixing treads - henry k
I read the same item.
I phoned the paper and to my astonishment the individual who answered instead of taking my observations and passing them on he started arguing .
He stated that " he had always understood what the item said was correct".
I said that tyre makers and some tyre fitting organisations state that best tyres should be on the back carried a little more weight that his hearsay.
( yes I do recall the recent threasd)
I have since emailed the paper, repeating my comments and a website link pointing out that the web site says that best tyres on the rear are for "extra safety"
I also included a complaint about that individual.
If I get a response I will be surprised.
Need a new tyre but advice need on mixing treads - henry k
>>If I get a response I will be surprised.
>>
Well I have not got a response BUT
The same paper yesterday had a reply from the original author (now turns out to be ex Dunlop) reversing his original statement.
So " your best tyres should always go on the rear"
" There are safety implications if the front tyres are better than the rear"

also
" ...found that gip in the wet drops off to about TWENTY per cent by the time the tyre is half worn"
That is a rather concerning statement as I had no idea that grip dropped off that much.
Need a new tyre but advice need on mixing treads - Number_Cruncher
>>.'Always fit your best tyres on the driven wheels'

He might have known a lot about tyres, but very little about vehicle dynamics.

Need a new tyre but advice need on mixing treads - jbif
He might have known a lot about tyres, but very little about vehicle dynamics.

;-) ! But 1400ted says:
"Over many years experience, I have always fitted new or best tyres on the front as a lot of the weight transfers there under braking. Ted "

Need a new tyre but advice need on mixing treads - Number_Cruncher

a lot of the weight transfers there under braking.

Quite true.

>>I have always fitted new or best tyres on the front

This is just saying what Ted does.

>>as

Is the only word in that statement I have any problem with!