Fuel gauge reading incorrect - mjmherts
Hi everyone
This is my second Astra H and it is displaying the exact same fault as my previous model.The gauge will read 1/4 of a tank but will be run out of fuel.My previous model was petrol and I learnt to keep it topped up but cant believe my new one (diesel) has the same fault !
I have read the road test report on this site and it states in the 'What to wach out for' section that a faulty reading gauge could indicate a fault with the (REC) rear electrical center ?
Please can anyone shed any light on this issue
Many thanks

{Shouting in header turned down}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/02/2009 at 02:42

Fuel gauge reading incorrect - L'escargot
Just learn to live with it ~ there are a lot worse things you could have. You'll soon work out how far you can drive before you need to fill up. No fuel gauges are absolutely accurate.
Fuel gauge reading incorrect - mjm
The last time I dealt with a mis-reading fuel gauge the cause was a fuel return pipe in the tank becomming unclipped and interfering with the float on the sender.
Fuel gauge reading incorrect - Altea Ego
Hi everyone
This is my second Astra H and it is displaying the exact same fault as
my previous model.The gauge will read 1/4 of a tank but will be run out
of fuel.

what as in actually stop because it has no fuel?
Fuel gauge reading incorrect - smokie
I can't remember absolutely relying on the fuel gauge in any car I've ever owned. Most recent ones seem to stay on full for a disproportionately long time then zoom down to quarter full and take a longish time to do the last quarter tank. Never regarded it as a fault, just something to live with.

But as AE says, is it still showing 1/4 tank when it splutters to a halt? Does it have a low fuel warning light, if so does that work?
Fuel gauge reading incorrect - David Horn
But you need a fairly accurate gauge to play fuel light bingo, otherwise it takes all the fun out of it.
Fuel gauge reading incorrect - mjmherts
Yes as in run out of fuel !
The light did not come on because the gauge was not reading that low to trigger it
Fuel gauge reading incorrect - floyd86

Hello,

I know it's been a long time since you started this topic, but I was curious if you managed to find out was causing the problem. I have the exact same issue, the needle of the gauge indicates that I have a quarter of tank when in reality I only have 5 or 6 litres of diesel. Thanks!

Fuel gauge reading incorrect - Avant

I'll move this to Technical and see what people have to say.

Fuel gauge reading incorrect - jc2

On most vehicles,the low fuel warning light is wired to the gauge not the tank!

It's not just a problem with the warning light, but the needle just doesnt go any lower than this: i.imgur.com/GVHJDYD.jpg Maybe just a bit lower when I'm practically out of fuel.

When I took the picture the fuel in the tank was 4 litres (as shown in the secret menus) and that is correct according to my own calculations about the remaining amount of fuel left. I recently bought the car and I just discovered this problem.

Thank you all for your help.

Edited by floyd86 on 20/06/2013 at 21:47

Hello again,

Unfortunately, I think that I may have been blessed with the Rear Electrical Center fail: central locking has stopped working suddenly. This, along with the incorrect reading from the fuel gauge seem to be exactly the symptoms of a failed REC. Can anyone please tell me how much would it cost to replace it?

Thanks!

Fuel gauge reading incorrect - Camilla

Hi everyone,

I have exactly same problem, 1/4 of tank and computer screaming !!! REFUEL!!!

0 miles

But my astra doesn't have Rec....