First Car? - freshdriver
Hello,

I have recently past me test and am looking to buy my first car! Any opinions on what I should go for? I need low insurance but I want it to look good!

Any opinions would be great.
First Car? - Rattle
What do you need it for?

What is your budget?

How many miles will you likely to be doing per year?
First Car? - oldnotbold
You need to think about the cost of insurance. First year insurance could be as much as £1500 for a young lad in Manchester/London. That mean it's vital to get a low insurance group, and to check your costs before buying a car. Use gocompare or confused.com to work out what it will cost.

Late 90s Corsa 1.0 12v is Gp 2, and not a bad car for about £1,000.
First Car? - dacouch
Always get a quote for insurance before you commit yourself on a car and be careful if you get a quote from Quinn Insurance and you have a provisional licence
First Car? - Rattle
If he is under 21, living in some where like Manchester or London then it could cost quite a bit more than £1500, it all depends on the exact circumstances.

Insurance groups are a very strange thing, a Focus 1.4 costs me much to insure as my 1.3 Fiesta did. The 1.0 Corsa is a good bet but the Corsa C is a better car if the OP can stretch to £1500-£2k.

My last premium on my N reg Fiesta 1.3 was over £800, that was for 4k year, business use and included one years no claims but I only passed in October. I am also 26 which makes it a lot cheaper. The reason for going fully comp is it was only £2 a month more expensive but it allows me to drive any car.
First Car? - rtj70
"but it allows me to drive any car. "

But not all policies let you dry another car with 3rd party cover. In fact most do not. I'd double check yours.
First Car? - oldnotbold
"Always get a quote for insurance before you commit yourself on a car and be careful if you get a quote from Quinn Insurance and you have a provisional licence "

Good point - they racked up the price after daughter #2 passed her test.
First Car? - rtj70
Eldest stepson's first car was an old 1990 Panda 4x4 Sisley. Insurance back then (4+ years ago) for TPFT was over £1400. I would definately check out insurance quotes before buying anything.
First Car? - Mapmaker
But not all policies let you dry another car with 3rd party cover. In fact
most do not. I'd double check yours.

Personally I've never come across a policy that doesn't. Armed with the information (perhaps I should say scare stories?) on here, I always ask when I get a quotation from an insurance company, and the answer - fully comp or third party - is always "included".
First Car? - oldnotbold
Drive other car TP cover is often limited to 25 years and over, with two years full licence.
First Car? - mattbod
If you can afford it I'd go for a Citroen C1. Nice little car to drive, nippy and economical and the engine is a Toyota unit so should be reliable.
First Car? - retgwte
fiat panda

we have had this discussion before try looking back through some old threads

First Car? - Rattle
The cert says I am allowed to drive my car [old one] and any other car with third party cover as longs as I have permision from the owner. Its standard on Directline as long as you're over 25.
First Car? - rtj70
Good Rattle. Just thought I'd point out what others have posted previously about losing DOC.

Personally I have not had a motor insurance policy since 1997 so I can only go on what I read.

Not sure I'd want to drive another car TP on a DOC policy though. Who'd pay for any damage? And even if not your fault there'd be lots of hastle. I would not want to risk that. But that's me.
First Car? - L'escargot
Any opinions would be great.

You need something which will not get you upset every time it's involved in some sort of accident/collision in the first five years or so of ownership!
First Car? - Rattle
At the same time you need a balance, my friend who rolled over did it in a 4 star Euro NCAP car she was not injured in the slightest, now I wonder if it she had been in her old caer she would have been so lucky?

You can get quite a lot of safe cars for under £2k with plenty of life in it, which is why I am looking at the sector above superminis as there are still plenty of group 4 things to choose from.

However 18-21 year old may not have any choice but to go with a group 1 or 2 car.

Sadly it seems to be the only certaincy for young people is that they will have a crash - their fault or not/
First Car? - rtj70
"However 18-21 year old may not have any choice but to go with a group 1 or 2 car. "

Groups 1 and 2 are the old system with groups from 1-20. Insurers now rate cars across more "groups" but that is not the main risk factor. You could drive a "group 1" car and cause an accident that results in millions being paid out.

But you're right Rattle. But there are recent cars in these insurance groups but they will cost. And the insurance is on top. They are basically pricing most of the young off the road. Or trying to.
First Car? - NickS
1998 Fiat Punto 1.2SX? Cheap to insure, cheap to run..............

(points sheepishly towards the classified section)
First Car? - Alby Back
We know you are only trying to help Nick, don't be coy !!

;-)