Minder car mystery - sierraman
Watching 'The Car Lot Blaggers' last night,and it is on again now,ITV 4,Jimmy Nail was driving a sports saloon,reg. 324 PE,but what is it?Paused it on a shot of the rear but could not read the make,six letters across the boot.Quite a stylish looking motor,slab of walnut dash,a bit Jaguaresque apart from the side mouldings.The wheels look like they could be Rostyle.Does anyone know the make and model?
Minder car mystery - Rattle
According to my source it is a Bmw 316 I Se does that help?

Edit it was registered in 1998. I wonder if this is the same car? The plate may have been transfered, if its the original Minder you're talking about clearly it is a different car

Edited by Rattle on 18/02/2009 at 16:39

It definitely had a six letter name across the boot lid which does not fit with it being BMW.The episode is from 1984,the reg.is not necessarily related to that car.I will see if I can get a screenshot of it.
Minder car mystery - Derfel
I watched that episode of Minder last night and I believe the car in question is a Jensen CV8.

"In October 1962 Jensen launched the 2 door 4 seater fibre glass bodied CV8 saloon. It was powered by an American Chrysler V8 engine and came with automatic transmission and all round disc brakes as standard."

www.gbclassiccars.co.uk/jensen_cv8.html
Minder car mystery - nick
Yes, a Jensen CV8. Lovely cars, worth a few bob now.
Yes,that fits with the style and the twin exhausts,many thanks,that has been bugging me.Does not seem the kind of car for a gypsy with a dodgy Irish accent though.I enjoyed the episode ,especially as it was one I had not seen,I did not have a telly in the 80s.
Minder car mystery - madux
I remember the episode from new. It was a CV8.
My father worked for Autocar in the sixties and drove it when it first came out.
Faster than an E-Type, IIRC.
They did clever things with the bodyshell, because it was GRP, which would have been impossible with steel.
I am thinking of those features above or behind the front wheels?
Minder car mystery - Jonathan {p}
Also appeared in The Champions, The Sweeney and The Baron (why did 1970's programmes all start with 'the'?)

www.imcdb.org/vehicles.php?make=jensen&model=cv8
That is a good site,I was looking for something like it earlier.I have never heard of The Champions.
Minder car mystery - jc2
Also appeared in The Champions The Sweeney and The Baron (why did 1970's programmes all
start with 'the'?)

Cos we talked proper in them days.
Minder car mystery - Jonathan {p}
Cos we talked proper in them days.

Concentrating on elocution rather than fashion me thinks....
Minder car mystery - FotheringtonThomas
www.gbclassiccars.co.uk is good for performance details.
Minder car mystery - billy25
Well.............i think it's got an ugly "face" - wots with all that trim around the eyes? yuk!
still, each to there own! but i think the designer must have had a hangover!

Billy
The later mark did away with the trim,looks better IMO.I wouldn't say no to borrowing one for the day,it would probably cost a few quid in fuel.
Minder car mystery - L'escargot
Yes a Jensen CV8.

I remember being sent by my employer to the Jensen factory in the early 1960s. After assembly the cars were road-tested. If any of the leather upholstery creaked they applied some sort of soap onto the rubbing surfaces of the leather to stop it creaking.
Minder car mystery - helicopter
Not a mystery to the old uns ...

Yes, purely by chance I was flicking through the channels and chanced upon this episode last night .....classic telly from the seventies.

Jimmy Nail , the definitive Geordie hard man very miscast as a dodgy Irish tinker driving a Jensen CV8 - I recognised it immediately ( about as likely a car for an Irish tinker to drive as Arthur driving a Mini....) .....

A very predatory widowed funeral director , the young ( well I suppose in her 50's) June Whitfield trying to seduce Arthur with large tumblers of Remy in the funeral parlour ....... Arthur trying to get her to sign the cheque for the funeral cars he's sold her before she has her wicked way with him.....

A cheeky chap Ray Winstone as a cockney boy trying to rip Arthur off by charging £30 for a bodywork repair and being knocked down to £15.....

Mr Chisholm still trying to nick Arthur and Terry .... and failing as always

Bliss .....

Shane Richie - eat yer heart out, you'll never match it.
Minder car mystery - Lud
Why do people think a tinker/breaker's yard man wouldn't be driving a Jensen CV8? Bristols, Rollses, Jaguars, Jensens, American things, I've seen all sorts of big but neglected cars of that sort being driven by exactly that sort of person.

CV8s were very cheap for a while. Now that such cars are a rarity they are valuable again.

And by the way helicopter, do you remember Arthur finding grass growing out of the front wing of a car after his body-shop man had filled it with, er, mud among other things?

Edited by Lud on 19/02/2009 at 15:46

Minder car mystery - helicopter
At that time in the 70's Lud the CV8 was a very rare motor indeed and still quite expensive .

My elder brother lusted after a Jensen but could not afford it and he ran a Scimitar GTE at the time which was not a cheap motor.

I just think a tinker driving one rang about as true as Jimmys Irish accent.....

I don't recall the grass episode Lud but I can quite believe it ...

I once helped a mate in the late 60's do a fibre glass wing repair on his old Hillman Minx with a filling of newspaper and old nylon stockings...

Another VAT anyone......?
Minder car mystery - Martin Devon
I once helped a mate in the late 60's do a fibre glass wing repair
on his old Hillman Minx with a filling of newspaper and old nylon stockings...

aaaaaaaaaaaaah!! Stockings eh! not tights. Bread you had to slice and carbs and points to adjust.

I just know the response that's coming!

Night night........MD