2003 1.3 - Spark Plug removal tips - Pica
My daughter has a 2003 Ford KA 1.3 with 31000 miles. As she is not working and cannot find a job for the moment I have offered to service her car for her. (I used to home service all my cars until 15 years ago so I am out of practice).

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the spark plugs as they are prone to sticking and breaking off. I am sure they are the original plugs so they will likely be a nightmare to remove. I was going to soak the plugs in GT500 penetrating oil overnight.

All tips welcome

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/02/2009 at 18:26

Ford KA Spark Plug removal tips - FotheringtonThomas
Oh um. Plus-gas? Run up to temperature before trying to remove them? Try "Technical" rather than "Discussion"?
Ford KA Spark Plug removal tips - mfarrow
This year will be the OHC engine which aren't a problem.
Ford KA Spark Plug removal tips - Javalin
Soak for 24 hours in a penatrating oil. Use a decent socket & breaker bar to apply steady consistent torque.

See the following thread for more options:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=69...4

Fords answer is to soak in penatrating oil.

James

Ford KA Spark Plug removal tips - Pica
Thanks for the tips I shall get some plusgas tomorrow and soak it overnight.
Now just about to ponder the v belt! I cannot even touch it let alone work out how to replace it.

Crikey these cars are difficult to work on!
Ford KA Spark Plug removal tips - yorkiebar
"Crikey these cars are difficult to work on!"

No, these are the simple ones; honest :)
2003 1.3 - Spark Plug removal tips - mfarrow
As I said, a 2003 car should have the later Rocam engine (labelled Duratec not Endura-E) so spark plug removal and rusting shouldn't be a problem. In fact I think these have alloy heads anyway and a cast iron block.
2003 1.3 - Spark Plug removal tips - Pica
The car is a 52 plate with the Endura Engine (my mistake), I tried to remove one plug last night but it is very tight.

I have bottled it and it's now off to the local Indie to be sorted. They quoted £120 labour for a full service (I have all the parts) so I am not going to waste my time and I know I will break it :)

Thanks for all the tips

Edited by Pica on 18/02/2009 at 12:58

2003 1.3 - Spark Plug removal tips - Javalin
fair enough. Thanks for letting us know.