01 2.2 HDI fuel cap open-error because it isn't. - Editor
Hello all-been a while. It's that blasted 406HDI 2.2 136BHP Estate again. The one with the FAP & Eloys (sp?). Anyhow, that now all works.

But it's been whizzing up all manner of rubbish intermittent error messages. The one that's a constant is the 'fuel caop open' one-a recent event. Now the fuel flap itself needs extra oomph to open it, but has done for ages. As usual, what's making this warning & how do I fix it? I've had a really good look around the fueling area & can't see any obvious catches/sensors.

Incidentally, for forum amusement, we've had STOP, engone temp too high the second after starting from cold. This happens fortnightly & has done for a year. The water temp gauge sometimes doesn't work & then does, & frequently dips down if you accelaerate hard, & then bings back up. About 2 years of this. Last week we had 'anti-pollutions sustem ineffective', & it then stopped the car. Revived on leaving it for a minute, but stilll had engine management lit on dash & repeated the warning. Took battery off last night & , so far, all seems OK. It has had an van aaken box attached to it about 6 months ago, if that might influence things.

Anyhow, hope regulars are well. Thanks as usual!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/02/2009 at 10:27

01 2.2 HDI fuel cap open-error because it isn't. - steve_earwig
Hi there. The fuel cap sensor is a little reed switch on the neck with a corresponding magnet on the cap - either the magnet's fallen off or the reed switch has had it. The cheapest fix seems to be to disconnect it...

Anti-pollution messages seem commonplace, unfortunatly, it's not like they seem to mean much most of the time. The temperature gauge/warnings could be somethng to do with this confounded "Bitron" sensor, which works in conjunction with the air con to run the cooling fan etc., so the MFD warnings could actually be down to the air con. I got a panel full of lights when my fan broke...
Hi Steve.

Thanks for replying. I must be a bit dense-I've had a really good look around the fuel filler pipe & I can't see any reed switch. Would you be able to describe exactly where & how to disconnect it please? The cap itself appears to have magnets on it still.

What's MFD stand for? Yes, I saw something about Bitron when I was searching-looks like bad news.

01 2.2 HDI fuel cap open-error because it isn't. - Dynamic Dave
What's MFD stand for?

Multi-function display
Messages for Frightening Driver.

Neither of mine have one (one thing less to go wrong...) so I've not seen this reed switch but I gather it's on the outside of the filler tube so you'd have to take the arch liner off to see it.

Apparently this is what you do: tinyurl.com/ctzm2p
superb-that's fantastic. Thank you very much & have a fab weekend.

Hi DD-cheers.

update for completeness:

From looking at the 307 Anti-pollution thread it looks a lot as if the failure of this wee switch might intefere with the eolsys dosing system. Seeing as the failure of the eolsys to clear out the FAP leads to all manner of disaster I think I'm going to a main dealer to have the reed switch etc made good.

Thanks again to screwloose for all his input here.

I've a wee petrol micra on the drive. 10 years old, carbed & NO electronics, sensors, power assisted anything, ABS or electric windows. I'm beginning to really appreciate this car!

Oh! That's a good point, the ECU adds eolys every time the cap's opened (hence problems with only adding a little fuel at a time and ending up with too much in the system) and how else is it going to know?

A mate of mine drives a 1992 Opel kadette (Mk2 Astra) with abdolutely no extras, nothing, even though he could afford a much newer car. I do wish he'd stop laughing when my 406 goes wrong...
01 2.2 HDI fuel cap open-error because it isn't. - skipper_stu

Had the warning light on on my 406 2.2 HDI. Fuel entrance open. It wasnt, did a google and came here.

Took note of the comments, took the offside back wheel off and the inner liner. Easy peasy. Unclipped the sensor switch and went hunting. Local scrappy, cap and switch, a fiver. Fitted them and bobs your uncle. Got a mate to put his diagnostic thing on and reset. It was showing all sorts of faults, eolys pump faulty, short in system. The "new" switch fixed it all. Bottom line, removing it gets rid of the light, but the pooter is seriously bent out of shape by the switch failure. Dont be tempted to just uncouple it.

Stu

01 2.2 HDI fuel cap open-error because it isn't. - NorthernSoul

Yes all seems very familiar. The author of the previous threads appear to display more product knowledge than 2 uk mechanics one English Peugeot dealer and one French Peugeot dealer! I am on holiday in France with the Fuel Access Open error message which then spawns a spurious ABS fault error message, and the ABS indicator lit permanently. And lots of beeps. Very annoying! This all kicked off the morning before we left from the UK. Typical! The STOP light has come on once as well. Which is disconcerting to say the least.

Have already ordered new fuel cap back in the UK (can they de-magnetise?), but having read this thread don't expect this to make any difference. "Intrinsically safe switch" (as it is called in another thread here) seems to be the culprit, even though my local Peugeot dealer denied any swtich existed. Hard to order a new one when they can't find it on the exploded diagram.

Will resume battle with Peugeot dealer to obtain part for my more reliable mechanic to fit. Followed by a computer reset. So that will be another two weeks of annoying error messages.

Still it's a great car - just attention-seeking.

Jez

2001 406 HDi 2.2 Estate 160K

01 2.2 HDI fuel cap open-error because it isn't. - 1litregolfeater

I must be allowed a LOL by now...

stick a rag wrapped in a dustbin bag in it, until you fancy a project.