ANY CAR - testing a wiring harness ?how - steveo3002
any car

i think my dizzy /hall sender loom on my 1988 Polo is giving problems , wriggling it seems to cure a missfire

so anyway..i removed the whole loom for this section and inspected it , no obvious problems , my multimeter has a beep setting to show continuity and it all checked out while testing each pin and giving it a wriggle

my question is ...should i have been testing for a gived ohms reading instead? as the beeper will beep if there a hair sized piece of cable hanging on

if so what ohms am i looking for ...its approx 10 amp cable about 1mtr long

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/02/2009 at 10:03

ANY CAR - testing a wiring harness ?how - Robin the Technician
If you have checked each cable from end to end for continuity and even wiggling the cables shows they are ok, then the problem is most likely with the connection to your dizzy. I suspect that where they are pushed together there is a bad connection. Try cleaning and reconnecting.

Hope this helps

ANY CAR - testing a wiring harness ?how - steveo3002
well the connections look perfect

i was thinking the beeper works even if the wire is 99% broken as long as theres contact...but the wire wont be strong enough to carry the amps needed for the job?
ANY CAR - testing a wiring harness ?how - adverse camber
It might not be a break - could be a short between two of the wires.

try checking continuity between wires when wiggling
ANY CAR - testing a wiring harness ?how - jc2
Take the wrapping off this part of the loom and separate the wires;does anything change?