windscreen chip/ crack - gemgem892
hello, my window started oif with a small chip now it has two lines coming from it. does any one no where the best place to go to get it solved is and how much approximatly it may cost coz i dont want to get cheated.
thanks
windscreen chip/ crack - Dynamic Dave
I take it you don't have windscreen cover on your insurance policy?
I probably do but i would rather just pay for it to be done
windscreen chip/ crack - daveyjp
Why? It doesn't affect your no claims. Most policies have a dedicated number for windscreen repairs and repairs are usually free, a replacement will cost you £50-100.

Had a small chip on my car done in a shopping centre car park by Autoglass - excellent job.
if its not expensive I dont mind paying for it. I dont like messing about with stuff like dat I just like to get things done
windscreen chip/ crack - Steve Pearce
If you had sorted it out when it was just a chip, then it probably wouldn't have been expensive. Since it now cracked, you might find that replacement windscreen is required, which is not so cheap.

Doing it through the insurance is a doddle, you just call whoever they recommend (RAC, Autowindscreen etc), get them to come out and just show them your insurance certificate. If its repairable, it will cost you nothing; if it needs a replacement then you just have to pay the excess, usually £50.
its repairable it will cost you nothing;

Not always. Direct Line now charge something like £10 for windscreen chip repairs. I suspect a handful of other insurers might do as well.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/02/2009 at 00:30

windscreen chip/ crack - Altea Ego
I dont like messing about
with stuff like dat I just like to get things done

then picking up your phone and dialing one number to your insurance company is all it takes.

Believe me, you cant afford to pay for a new windscreen at full price.

windscreen chip/ crack - L'escargot
From my experience, you should make sure you get a genuine replacement, not a pattern part. A lot of windscreen companies use pattern parts, but only a few use genuine spares ~ or at least screens made by the same company and to the same specification as the original. Others on here will be able to tell you which companies use genuine spares.
windscreen chip/ crack - oilrag
Autoglass did a great job on our older Punto - fitted on the drive at home too.
I have been given three quotes-
One was 120
one was 100 plus VAT
the other was 90 plus Vat
Auto glass was 220
which one would you choose they all said I neeed a new window
windscreen chip/ crack - Steve Pearce
Why accept any of them, when several people have said do it through your insurance and only pay the excess. I'm assuming to actually do have insurance...?
of course I do. The garage said that it may be taken of my nno claims because its a full windscreen replacment not just a chip repair
windscreen chip/ crack - jc2
Speak to your insurance company,not your garage.
windscreen chip/ crack - madux
Autoglass did my Volvo too. Excellent job. Cost me £70 with no loss of no-claims.
me insurence company a ring then n just double check.
Im just worried about losing my no claims thats all
(A quiet interlude while he looks for the paperwork and the 'phone number. JS Bach playing softly in the background.........)
eh? lol
I have auto glasses number
Go on then. You know you can do it! We are all behind you!
lol I semm to getting a hint of sarcasm :-p. gonna do it tommoro
windscreen chip/ crack - oilrag
Laminated screens are not all they are cracked up to be...
I have auto glasses number

Autoglass repair, Autoglass replace.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3pKGPvX5vg

Generally a free repair, or it will cost you your windscreen excess if it needs replacing. It won't however affect your no claims discount.

Who is your insurance company? There's bound to be an online document to look up the policy excess and other T's & C's if you can't find the info yourself.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/02/2009 at 19:05

I seem to getting a hint of sarcasm :-p. gonna do it tommoro

If you'd have phoned them this morning, it would have been replaced by now with the minimal amount of hassle.

www.autoglass.co.uk/What-will-it-cost.192.0.html

If you have insurance with glass cover -

. if your existing windscreen can be repaired:- This will usually be FREE of charge as in most cases it is paid for by your insurance company and will normally NOT affect your no claims bonus.

. if your existing windscreen needs to be replaced:- This will usually be covered by your insurance company. You will have to pay your insurance excess (as detailed in your policy) but it will normally NOT affect your no claims bonus.

windscreen chip/ crack - tawse
Hi,

I had a stone fly up from the car in front tonight and hit the bottom of my windscreen right in my line of sight - made a heck of a noise.

I have had a look at the windscreen, from the outside, and noticed that there is a tiny 'dot' like mark in it. I would not call it a crack or line but the windscreen is definitely marked. Now I know where it is I can see it from the sat behind the steering wheel but, as I say, it is tiny.

Should I get this repaired? I am not sure how big or small a mark/crack/hit has to be for it to need repair?

Thanks,

T.
windscreen chip/ crack - bell boy
if it has actually broken through the first sheet of glass then yes get it repaired
windscreen chip/ crack - tawse
Yes, I can feel it with the tip of my finger. It sounds bizarre to fix something so tiny but I bow to better experience.

I don't think the first sheet of glass itself is 'broken through' more than it has scratched the surface of the first sheet of glass.