Handbrakes - sooty123
What are the rules on applying handbrakes in stationary traffic? Anyone got a section from the highway code or from the police? I'm having a discussion at the moment, I'll be honest it's one of my pet hates people sat for long periods, say in standing traffic on a motorway with brake lights on. The general concensus seems to be, it's ok why worry about it? I have on occasions thought, after say 10 mins, of this to tap on the window and say 'You do know the handbrake is free?'
Further more I am I being a pedant, or do other people think that it's unsafe and especially annoying at night?
Handbrakes - andyfr
It doesn't bother me to be honest. I find brake lights less annoying than indicators but I wouldn't suggest that people turn them off. I just don't look at them.
Handbrakes - sooty123
You don't look at which one, indictors or brake lights? How do you know what people are doing if you don't look at them?
Handbrakes - Alby Back
I would normally put the handbrake on and the car into neutral if I have to stop for more than a few moments. Can't claim it is particularly inspired by any form of courtesy to others but I have persuaded myself that it is probably better for the car and I am less likely to inadvertantly ride the clutch. Gives your legs a rest too.
Handbrakes - madux
I'm with Humph on this one, although Mrs Madux learned to drive in America, where she says they teach you leave your foot on the brakes so that cars behind can see that you are stationary.
Handbrakes - FotheringtonThomas
I would normally put the handbrake on (..)
Can't claim it is particularly inspired by any form of courtesy to others

Me? Handbrake on. If last in queue, footbrake on if someone comes up behind 'till they've seen/stopped.

It's a PITA to be stuck behind some dullard who doesn't see fit to think, & I'm with sooty123. ISTR HJ & Mr. Ripley have things to say on this.
Handbrakes - Old Navy
Me? Handbrake on. If last in queue footbrake on if someone comes up behind 'till
they've seen/stopped.

Exactly what I do, make sure someone is stopped behind me to recieve any impact before brake lights off.
Handbrakes - andyfr
You don't look at which one indictors or brake lights? How do you know what
people are doing if you don't look at them?

I don't look directly at them when I'm in a queue so they don't bother me as much as they seem to bother you. I'm still aware of what they are doing without having to focus on either the brake or indicator lights.

Edited by andyfr on 15/02/2009 at 12:06

Handbrakes - Hamsafar
It's a bit rich complaining about other people's choice of brake and then admitting being ignorant of what the Highway Code says on the subject! If you were in front of me, I'd open my window and throw a copy at you. Hmm Hmm.

Edited by Hamsafar on 15/02/2009 at 12:16

Handbrakes - sooty123
Not really no, that's why I came on here for clarity, it's pet hate I've got I admit it. I am not allowed any? I admit I'm not perfect.
Should we meet I would pick it up and thank you for the freebie.
Thanks andy all is clear.
Handbrakes - sooty123
Fothers, I see your logic, however I know of one person who did the same and was still rear ended, the driver claimed he was dazzled by my friends brakes lights and in the investigation it was found he was at fault for not being in proper control of a vehicle. I suppose you take a chance both ways.
So what are the actual rules, then, hm?
Handbrakes - sooty123
Me? no idea that's why I came here, I'm not knocking what your doing. Just adding to the thread, if slighty off topic.
Handbrakes - Rattle
I always use the handbrake and put it into neutral. Surely it can't do the car any good riding on the brakes with all that preasure in the master cylinder which has to build up? It also gives me legs a rest. With this method though you do have to look far aheadso what when the lights change you have plenty of time to take the hand brake off and put it into first.

Edit as far as I know there are no proper rules but this is all I could fine

www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycod...0

Edited by Rattle on 15/02/2009 at 12:31

www.theorytestadvice.co.uk/highwaycode/hcrules.php...8

"When waiting in a traffic queue at a junction use the handbrake and do not keep your foot on the brake pedal as the lights can dazzle the driver behind."
Handbrakes - the swiss tony
the driver claimed he was dazzled by my friends brakes
lights and in the investigation it was found he was at fault for not being
in proper control of a vehicle.

Thats a new one on me!
if im tailend charlie i normally keep an eye in my mirrors, and pump the brake pedal to flash the brake lights.
mind you thats coz I am nervous when at the back of a queue as ive been hit up the back twice, whist stationary with the handbrake on, i also leave a big space in front!
Handbrakes - daveyjp
Neutral and handbrake for me for lengthy stops. Most brake lights don't bother me, but I was behind a new 7 series the other week at some lights and I needed to put the sun visor down as the brakes lights were very bright.
Handbrakes - redviper
It depends, if im last in the que, then my brake lights remain on so that oncoming cars can see that im/have applied brakes when they get there, ill apply the handbrakes when they get there BUT sometimes if ive been sat in the que for ages invetiblty as soon as i apply the handbrake lights have changed and we will be moving off again so more often than not, i dont.

If there is car already behind me, and the lights have just turned to red, then I will have the handbrake on to give my legs a rest.

If im driving in my local town, the are traffic lights that are situated on the top of a bank ill pull up and the handbrake will go on regardless of whats going on behind me. facing up or down.

Sometimes it bothers me that someone sits with the lights on, sometimes it dosent unless they are REALLY bright just like daveyjp has stated above, but usually i just let it be.
Handbrakes - Manatee
I don't let it wind me up, but I see it as ignorant and bad mannered to sit with the brake lights shining at the driver parked behind at night or in twilight especially. I console myself that if their brakes are hot they'll likely warp the discs by clamping them as they cool. I know mine isn't a common view because the vast majority of drivers visibly either don't think about it or don't care if they do.

I do watch the mirror when stopping at the back of a queue and make sure I use the brake lights to warn following traffic though - and I keep a BIG gap in front until I've seen they've got the message. Once bitten, twice shy.

Edited by Manatee on 15/02/2009 at 13:08

Handbrakes - sooty123
thanks for the links, I try and let it be and usually do, for almost everything, but I think it's just one of those pet hates that bothers me more often that not. Thanks all.

Edited by sooty123 on 15/02/2009 at 13:13

Handbrakes - gmac
If sitting with your foot on the brake for any length of time you are not really in control of the vehicle.
If (OK it's a big if) you have a heart attack or blackout, the vehicle will roll, or move off if an automatic, when pressure is released from the pedal. With the handbrake on, the car is not going anywhere.

Edited by gmac on 15/02/2009 at 13:05

Handbrakes - Hamsafar
It's a big shame, the HWC online used to be searchable but no more...
www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/highwaycode
Now it searches the whole website. It wouldn't be so bad if there was a PDF you could download as you could then search and alt+g in Acrobat Reader.

Also, they should publish a list of changes so that you don't have to re-read all the obvious dross every year.