To buy a facelift or not to buy. - Brianthebubble
I have been looking at the new Megane III and HJ has been very impressed with the car, finding it very comfortable to drive. I have an old Megane saloon I and although it's long in the tooth, it is still very very good on smooth roads. However, with the history of electrical problems, this has set me wondering. Is it better only to buy a car once it has had a facelift? Would it be wiser say to buy a facelifted Mazda 3,-current not the new Mazda 3 'facelifted' 2009 version - rather than a new Megane III, and then wait for the facelifted Megane III ? Somone commented that Renault let their customers find the problems through driving and then make adjustments accordingly. Do all manufacturers do the same?
To buy a facelift or not to buy. - Altea Ego
through driving and then make adjustments accordingly. Do all manufacturers do the same?

Yes - never buy a car from any manufacturer in the first year of production
What about in the following years up to the facelift ? Would you say don't buy pre facelift full stop? For all makes of cars?
To buy a facelift or not to buy. - Altea Ego
Firstly - the meganne 3 is not a facelift. Its a new car.

Its usually a good idea to buy cars made just prior to a facelift or new model. They come with lots of goodies that were added to shift stock, and they have been made for a while so any build agro is usually ironed out. The down side is lower resale value.

Dont buy any new model of car within its first year of production. After that time most of the build agro is sorted,
I understand what you are saying. Take for example the Mazda 3. I think it first came out in 2004. There was a major facelift in 2006 and i think another minor one in 2008. The new Mazda comes out this year. So, following what you are saying, I think, I'm right in thinking that you would not buy a 2004 car, but then how about a 2006/7 just after the facelift - in the case of the Mazda? Which years would be the ones to buy in this car's five year lifetime ? Having said this , how do you confirm the date of manufacture against the date of registration. are they the same? With the Megane III, when would you buy? From 2010 to the facelift or after the facelift? Altea Ego, Thanks for your help.
To buy a facelift or not to buy. - gordonbennet
BtB, there's something else to consider, prices for brand new models are usually inflated and often discounts and deals become better in the following years.
If you want the new Megane could you wait another 12 months, it might be worth it financially.

French cars seem to follow this trend continually.
I suppose some buyers want the newest model and are prepared to pay a premium for it.

Same goes at model run out, some good bargains to be had, but once the new model's up and running, previous model prices plummet, i dropped that clanger with my Avensis 1, bought used at a good price, but 18 months later Avensis 2 comes out, instantly wipes the floor with the value of my car.
GB. How would you relate this to the Mazda 3 current model? Would you say now would be the best time to buy, for example, an 07 model. My inclination with the Renault Megane III, would be to wait until a facelift. the Facelifted Megane I was a better car than the 1997 model I currently have.
>>How would you relate this to the Mazda 3 current model?

Now you've put me on the spot, its not something i can answer well as i've not looked at Mazda's since the previous 626 and the 323 from T plate or so, the range just doesn't do anything for me, (TBH mianstream cars aren't my thing) no reason to think there's anything wrong with them, except the long running threads on some 6 diesels mind.

Let me get this right, you want to buy a current model but used and about 2 years old, correct?
Depends how long till the model changes i suppose, if they facelift/replace model next year then the current model will lose lots of value very quickly, trouble is i don't know when they will replace, if the current model stays for a couple of years then now may be as good a time as any, you always lose by depreciation whatever happens.
Flippin difficult trying to forward guess whats going to happen with values, even the pro's get caught out.

On the subject of the Mazda 3, what exactly is coming out, i would have thought a completely new model would be on the cards to follow in the footsteps of the new 6.
To buy a facelift or not to buy. - Vansboy
I agree with the best of the old model, idea.

Example, Mrs V's Mx5 Montana, was about 18months before the 'new' Mx5 was officially launched.

Her's is thought to be the verrrrry best spec an Mx5 had, throughout it's history - despite dozens of 'special editions'. It was a limited run of just 500 in UK - only 250 in Garnet red (hers) or Racing Green.

It has, over standard model...

pearlescent paint
bigger wheels
leather
heated seats
upgraded stereo
wood kit dash/steering wheel
fog lights
hard top (£1500 if you were to buy on it's own)
air con

Value would be making the car over £20k if bought as 'extras', the price was £18995.

Hers was last one inthe country & she bought it as April model, after it was launched, November previous year, so has added value there, with later year & prefix.

The dealer was keen to deal, as she also got...

chrome style bars
windeflector
hardtop stand & cover
locking wheel nuts
solid painted mudflaps
front mesh grille
first service

All for £16000 - about the list price of standard model!!

& she paid with Thomas Cook credit card, without a service charge = 1 1/2% value in holiday points, towards our trip to Iceland!!

So not a bad deal, in the end, 'cos if she'd waited for a more basic spec, 'new' model, it wouldn't have been discounted so much, or have as many toys!!

VB
That was a bargain VB, and a nice car too in a lovely deep colour, the price you paid has certainly offset any losses you may incur through model change.

There's some cars you really would only want to have brand new and thats probably one of them.
To buy a facelift or not to buy. - Andrew-T
> Same goes at model run out ..

I think there may be reasons not to wait until run-out time (except for the bargain price) as towards the end of a model run accuracy may be less in the pressings, a general loss of enthusiasm on the line (even in the robots) and to top it all the cars may sit around longer before sale.
To buy a facelift or not to buy. - ifithelps
Depends on the amount of 'lift'.

If the facelifted car has only had minor tinkering over the old model, there's no reason not to buy it.

The days of mobile test benches were supposed to have ended with the demise of British Leyland.

Poor old Mr Renualt still seem to get some stick in this regard.

Isn't it part-nationalised? - you could draw a comparison with BL.

To buy a facelift or not to buy. - merlin
Cost cutting (or cost down) will be at its peak during the run out year too. There's an interesting comment about this at tinyurl.com/bnwzz6 from ddentrec. Best avoid run out models IMO.

Edited by merlin on 14/02/2009 at 21:48

To buy a facelift or not to buy. - ifithelps
..at tinyurl.com/bnwzz6 from ddentre...

Apologies for the thread drift, but I looked at the forum in that link and couldn't be bothered with all the smileys, pics, toytown layout, clever animations, logos etc.

Long live the Back Room.

To buy a facelift or not to buy. - krs one
Is there a new Mazda 3 this year?

Does that mean the new Focus will be coming out too?
To buy a facelift or not to buy. - Alby Back
I think run out models can be quite a clever buy if you don't really care about the additional depreciation they will suffer. If you plan to put a lot of miles or years or both on it they can be a bit of a bargain. In my opinion you are getting a vehicle which has been tried and tested and as someone else mentioned is often specced up towards the end of its model run to aid the last few sales.

I have bought a few like this over the years but with no intention of disposing of them until they are fairly much valueless anyway.

I guess the only major downside for some is that you are not bowling around in the latest model. Some people care about these things which I suppose is fair enough.
HB. How do you feel about Andrew-T's point? Like you, I would hold onto the car for several years -but I had not thought about Andrew's point.
To buy a facelift or not to buy. - Alby Back
He could well be right. Maybe I've just been lucky. Who can say.
To buy a facelift or not to buy. - Andrew-T
One thing I considered before buying the 306 I traded in in December was the engine - it was one of the very earliest HDi's, on a T plate, and there weren't many of those. I reckoned that as the engine had been 'tested' on the 406 for several months it should be OK. I put 55K miles on it over 6½ years, and it was running better than ever.
That then might bode well for the new Megane III, which I think are using the same engines as the Megane II. Going by all the very interesting contributions to this topic, I reckon i should be looking for either a 2006 (year of facelift) or 2007 Mazda 3 but not the 2008 or 2009 as the 'New' Mazda 3 will be out this year. I would also think that the time to go a Megane III would be say a year into production as it is using carried over engines or post facelift providing the engines stay the same.
Or maybe just keep your eyes peeled for the right car at the right money and snap it up anyway?

I've always had a certain model in mind which i wished to buy and its often cost me dear finding the right one, whereas others not so 'picky' have snapped up bargains galore, whatever happened along.
I have a feeling i've been doing it wrong for a long time..;)
Yes, wise words. So easy to look for the right one;and then miss it!
To buy a facelift or not to buy. - barneybear
you could buy mine: Megan 11. Sept 2007, 1.9Cdi 130bhp black estate with cruise, a/c etc etc. FSH, still under warrenty, 30,000 m-way miles, no problems at all. I change cars every two years - BUT I'm just about to finish a contract and taking some long over due time off, so don't need car for a few months. I never buy a new car in first 12 months of production either. My family car is Espace 2006 - blown turbo at 24000, under warrenty, no other problems - and yes I need 7 seats. Probably replace Espace with another Espace Sept 09. Shame they didn't make the new one yet...