On drive oil & filter change at -1c +pics - oilrag
Well... you know how it is - you keep putting it off waiting for a warmer day...

Put on two pairs of socks 6 fleeces (yes six, could hardly move) the usual fleece cap and latex gloves.

All went well until i was refilling the sump when it started to snow and I had to hunch over the filler cap with my body to stop snow flakes going in with the oil. (ok )

Pic 1, shows the extractor I use - the old oil has just been poured back into the Mobil container ready for disposal.
www.forumpics.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/oilchange1.jpg/

Pic 2, the filter and sealing ring.
www.forumpics.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/oilchange2.jpg/

If you look closely at the sealing ring - you can see the snow `particles`
This oil change is at only 4,000 miles - last changed in August 08.

Images on my own site - valid for 1 week - Photo`s taken with a G600 phone

Edited by oilrag on 12/02/2009 at 11:52

On drive oil & filter change at -1c +pics - Altea Ego
Images on my own site - valid for 1 week - Photo`s taken with a
G600 phone

A very greasy G600 phone.
On drive oil & filter change at -1c +pics - pmh2
If you are changing the oil at every 4000 miles, and if I was a neighbour I would be using the old oil to put into my ageing vehicles!

Ecologically sound, saves you the disposal hassle, and you could probably get a free pint out of it.

PS do you keep your phone in a condom or similar when working under oil saturated conditions?

PPS How well does the oil extractor work - getting into the pit these days becomes more of an effort every time - I might consider going down that route.

p
On drive oil & filter change at -1c +pics - Old Navy
PPS How well does the oil extractor work - getting into the pit these days
becomes more of an effort every time - I might consider going down that route.

I find they work very well, my Focus holds 5L and mine gets virtually all of it out. Helps if the oil is hot. I have the same type of oil filter as Oilrag, accesed from the top, no more under car oil change expeditions.

Edited by Old Navy on 12/02/2009 at 14:48

On drive oil & filter change at -1c +pics - SpamCan61 {P}
I must admit I've started using one of these suckers ( the 40 quid Screwfix one) on my lovely green Vectra and SWMBO's Zafira; in both cases the sump drain plug felt like it was about to strip when being tightened up ( even with 3mm of thread still showing) and I was scared of stripping it - I note the CBC does mention this as a potential problem.
On drive oil & filter change at -1c +pics - Chris M
Am I missing something here? WHY?

Why change the oil when the weather is freezing? You could have waited another month or so and at some point in that time, the temp may have risen to a balmy 10C. In my experience, if a spanner is going to slip and your knuckles are going to make contact with something sharp, it's less likely to happen when you're hands aren't frozen.

Were you wearing a sackcloth shirt under your 6 fleeces as well?
On drive oil & filter change at -1c +pics - gordonbennet
Well done Oily, never let a bit of weather stop what needs to be done eh?

I'm a little disappointed that you took the easy option sucking the old oil out, a good martyr should have braved the snow and slush (which is noticeable by its absence, so even less mitigation for not draining the stuff) and crawled around on the cold wet ground and drained the stuff properly, but only after driving for 20 miles so all the slush can pour down your collar.

Maybe the wind wasn't strong enough to make the draining worthwhile, when i change the oil i can pick the years' calmest day and by the time half the oil's drained the worst hurricane of the decade will have sprung up.;)

Full marks for eccentric dogged grit and determination that whatever happens the servicing shall be carried out.

6 weeks to go till the Fumoto inauguration...

.;).;)

"Fumoto inauguration" waiting for it GB ;-)

In answer to questions

1) Why? = I enjoy it.
2) Why now? = no risk of sunburn.
3) How does it suck? = It`s like a catfish sucking on the bottom of the Amazon.

Actually, its all out in a couple of minutes and nothing comes out if you then remove the plug.
No risk of getting a grit in the sump from fumbling with the sump plug at the rear of the sump.

4) Is the phone greasy? = no, changed the latex gloves.

Confession to make - I actually let someone else work on the car... Popped it in for a 30 minute (coffee while you wait) £30 main dealer brake fluid change this pm, the difference being that this involves too much crawling on the ground and worried about the other `price` that would be likely afterwards...

On drive oil & filter change at -1c +pics - ifithelps
Seeing the pic of the drenched paper filter element reminds me of the bonfires we used to have behind the garage on Sunday evenings.

A dozen or so of those and a couple of tyres made a lovely, warming fire.

The other burnable rubbish from the garage - filter boxes, etc - would go on, too.
On drive oil & filter change at -1c +pics - gordonbennet
The other burnable rubbish from the garage - filter boxes etc - would go on
too.

calm before the storm..;)

we used to enjoy chucking the aerosol cans in the brazier too....glad i spelt that OK

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/02/2009 at 16:48

On drive oil & filter change at -1c +pics - ifithelps
This bonfire also taught me the difference between four and five-star fuel.

Put some four star on and it would flare.

Five star would go up with a definite 'woomph' - it was clearly far more potent stuff.
By the way. I actually bought the oil extractor for a previous vehicle - a Doblo JTD. To get at the oil filter and sump plug the full undertray had to be removed, with the Doblo`s front end on a ramp - while laying on your back underneath, supporting the back end of the undertray with your splayed knees and the front end with your hands.

I only did this (missionary position) once - the next time I cut an access hatch for the oil filter. That still left the sump access and i decided to deal with that by buying the suction device - although I was also motivated by alloy sumps (thread worries ;-) on that and the 1.9D Punto.

You could argue its not worth the effort with the steel sump and no undertray on the 1.3 van. However the sump is coated with HMP grease to stop it rusting and of course the plug is at the rear and with modern front end bodywork further back - far enough not to be able to put the plug back in other than by `feel` and the almost inevitable grit - either into the threads - or into the actual sump on the plug end.

If I were to design a sump, I would spend an extra 12p galvanising it and then put the plug at the front end... Or even underneath... I seem to remember a car like that - but which one?

;-)
On drive oil & filter change at -1c +pics - ma
does anyone know where to buy one of these oil extractors from? I dont seem able to find one on screwfix or halfords website?

Matt
On drive oil & filter change at -1c +pics - Old Navy
Try a marine (boat or yacht) chandlery.
On drive oil & filter change at -1c +pics - Hamsafar
Machine Mart sell, them, but I found ebay the cheapest when I got mine. e.g.
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1203...5
On drive oil & filter change at -1c +pics - Manatee
Google pela extractor, you'll see the spherical Pela 6000 (6 litre) for about £30. Oily's is the 6.5 litre cylindrical one I think.

The 6000 works fine, though it takes more than two minutes!

Boat chandlers have them because you frequently can't get under a boat engine to drain it.
On drive oil & filter change at -1c +pics - ma
Many thanks, purchased one from the ebay link as suggested

matt