V6 Omega - Noisy Idle from cold start - robert
Dear all,

I've started this as a new thread - the previous thread is shown below, but basically talks about a "clacking" sound from V6 Omegas - but only from a stone cold start - this also has a slightly lumpy idle associated with it. Hot starts are fine.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=6957&v...t

As you will see, my car (also a 3.0 V6 Omega) does the same thing as the one in the thread, and we thought that the culprit might be either:

1) A problem with the aux drive belt or one of its ancillaries warming up
2) A problem with cambelt related things warming up - but note that in all cases cambelts & idlers had been changed within say 10k miles
3) A rumoured exhaust related problem

I've managed to pin it down to the later. I've fitted a Kenlowe engine preheater in advance of winter coming. If you arn't aware, this is a mains operated electric water heater/pump that is plumbed into the cooling circuit and heats/circulates the cold water in the system upto 80 degrees - giving you a warm engine before you start it.

On starting the engine immediately after the Kenlowe had done its stuff, the clacking just didn't happen at all - and a nice smooth tickover resulted. So, I think I've elimininated the ancilliary drive belt and its dependants - and the cambelt etc.

The exhaust issue seems to be a slight leak which only impacts things when cold - when "something" warms up, it expands and stops the clacking noise - which is actually caused by a leak releasing the pressure from the the 6, actually probably only 3 of the cylinders exhaust rhythm.

Now then - this is where my detective trail ends - apparently Vx are aware of the problem, but I could do with a bit of help in pooling ideas as to what the exact reason/cause is. It could be the EGR valve, or one of the exhaust manifolds. As our vehicles are all well outside warranty - I'm keen to narrow the exact resolution down. So, if anyone has access to Vx tech support bulletins we would be very interested to hear what they contain.

Comments welcome chaps.

Regards .......

Robert

PS Further info on Kenlowe is available via their website:

www.kenlowe.co.uk/pre-heaters/cars/whatwill.html
V6 Omega - Noisy Idle from cold start - Kevin

For recalls and Tech Bulletins for the V6 Omega you might be
better searching for 'Catera', using your favorite search engine.

The Omega was sold in the US as a Cadillac Catera.

Kevin...
V6 Omega - Noisy Idle from cold start - robert
Thanks Kevin,

Do you have a link to such a site? Had a quick look and can't see anything obvious.

Regards .......... Robert
V6 Omega - Noisy Idle from cold start - Kevin

www.alldata.com/TSB/08/980816GZ.html

has the TSB numbers.

Kevin...