04 2.0 Dti Wipers colliding - PeterRed
Today the wiper blades collided and the offside blade was badly bent. They're not new so I'm a bit puzzled why it should suddenly happen. I had a spare set and fitted them only to have the same thing immediately happen again!! The blades are 24" long on both sides. All I can think is that with the recent ice situation that maybe a frozen blade caused an arm to slip on its spline. How can I check this? Thanks,
04 2.0 Dti Wipers colliding - Number_Cruncher
>>All I can think is that with the recent ice situation that maybe a frozen blade caused an arm to slip on its spline.

Sounds quite likely.

>>How can I check this?

Do they park in the correct position? Are the nuts holding eact arm to the spline tight?

04 2.0 Dti Wipers colliding - Dynamic Dave
The blades are 24" long on both sides.

I thought one was supposed to be 22", and the other 24"?
04 2.0 Dti Wipers colliding - Victorbox
"22", and the other 24"?"
Quite correct - according to Vauxhall's own accessory website tinyurl.com/ag98re
These are the flat aeroblades but well worth the extra cost as they last so much longer. Only time I've ever had a wiper arm slip on its splines was when it was icy - simply realign carefully and tighten up..
04 2.0 Dti Wipers colliding - jc2
Linkage bent??? For the same reason.
Quite correct - according to Vauxhall's own accessory website

Vic, that's where I sourced the info from - lol.

There was a post recently over on Vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk where someone had the same problem. Next time I'm over there I'll see if I can find it and see whether or not they solved the problem.
There was a post recently over on Vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk

Here you go:-

www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1...7

Some useful info in that thread on how to make sure they're set up correctly.
The nuts on the wiper arms are tight and theres no sign of damage to the linkage so I'm still perplexed. I've now ordered a pair of 22" blades so I can mix & match and see if this helps. Thanks all.
04 2.0 Dti Wipers colliding - Altea Ego
Why not try going to the vauxhall dealer and buying the correct set of blades.

Im sorry but you are screwing your car stupid here. you have already wrecked one set of blades and possibly making the linkage worse. Surely when it happened the first time you would have assumed it wasnt a wiper blade problem as they hadnt been changed?

04 2.0 Dti Wipers colliding - Number_Cruncher
These wraparound wipers need extra linkages to make the lower wiper go slower for the first part of the sweep, and then catch up to end the stroke in the right place - if both wipers went at the same speed, they would most definitely clash.

The problem is that this accelerator linkage works at more extreme angles to normal linkages, and even slight wear in the accelerator linkage can cause quite a position error on the screen.

If the correct wipers don't solve the problem, I suspect a new linkage is required - however, fitting shorter wiper blades might provide a pragmatic, but non-standard, solution.
The nuts on the wiper arms are tight and theres no sign of damage to
the linkage so I'm still perplexed.

Have you checked the measurements given in the link I pointed you towards?
DD - The measurements in that link seem to refer to a Zafira B whereas we have a Zafira A. My Haynes manual is fairly useless. Do you have any idea where I might get the specs for our vehicle?

AE - It had 24" wiper blades when we bought it at 6 months old and has worked OK with them since 2004. I do concede that merely replacing a twisted wiper with the same length was a bit short-sighted.

NC - Thanks. I 'm totally into pragmatic solutions. I'm not sure why wraparound wipers were employed in the first place - they don't help the already flawed visibility on our RHD Zafira. I've had a few near-misses in fine weather while peering around the A-pillar on RH turns.
04 2.0 Dti Wipers colliding - Victorbox
Having driven a Zafira for nearly 70,000 miles I can't see what the issue is with the supposed A-Post blind spot, but fitting 22inch blades will just make the wiped area even less.
DD - The measurements in that link seem to refer to a Zafira B whereas
we have a Zafira A. My Haynes manual is fairly useless. Do you have any
idea where I might get the specs for our vehicle?

I must admit I didn't pay much attention to the measurements. I think the OP of that thread had a Zaf-A, and that's what focused my mind. You could try registering on VxOn and asking the guy who posted the measurement info if he has the info for the Zaf-A. I suspect he will as by the looks of it the info has come from a Vauxhall TIS cd rom.
04 2.0 Dti Wipers colliding - AndyBa
54 reg Zafira Energy 2.0DTI

I had this problem after my wife had been driving the car and not cleared the snow off off the roof, this promptly slid down and caused the wipers to move on their splines and collide. It did have 2 x 24" wipers at the time.
This gave me an ideal opportunity to try out a fix for the annoying wiper layout which leaves a 2" area of un-wiped screen on the drivers side which in addition to the wide A pillar means you can miss seeing a whole car at some junctions (unless you move your head from side to side :) ). I got a spare set of arms from a scrap-yard to experiment with; first of all I attempted to bend the drivers wiper arm and straighten the passenger arm in order that the driver's side of the screen was better covered (RHD as per the Picasso), however the wipers immediately collided. Then I reverted to the original LHD wipe used a 22" blade on the driver's side and adjusted them. Now the driver's side wiper arm sweeps to within a centimetre of the A post and the passemger wiper covers the whole of that side. OK they don't park parallel, but the annoying blindspot is reduced - RESULT
Now all I want is a performance chip to sort the scary roundabout crawl and find a decent replacement carpet - the original is poor quality and so hard to clean after the kids have been in it !
Thanks for sharing your experiments. I too now have a 22" blade on the driver's side ad a 24" on the passeger side. Are you saying that you moved the arm on its splines to get a sweep nearer the A pillar or did you bend it?

I've got no probs with low down performance - it's actually quite nippy off the line - though it does have a strange surge sometimes at about 2500rpm which is hard to replicate. I agree with the carpet comments.
04 2.0 Dti Wipers colliding - AndyBa
What I did was remove both wipers and bent the drivers side wiper in my Workmate - Note that the arm has a twist in it which needs to remain so the wiper sits on the windscreen properly. I moved this round the spline until it swept the biggest area - On the vertical its about 1cm away and parallel to the "A" pillar . I then refitted the passenger wiper. The right edge of the passenger wiper (looking fron the front of the car) almost touches the driver wiper, unfortunately the other end of the passenger wiper doesn't lie flat. but does sweep right up to the "A" pillar. There is no problem with the wipers hitting each other at all since I did the mod.
As I say I got a spare set of arms from the scrappy (about £20) so if a made a hash of it nothing was lost