Car accident; Can I demand main dealer fix it? - scottdogg
My car was crashed into and has been taken to the accident repair place yesterday.

If truth be told, although i dearly loved my car, now that it has been crashed into, i dont think that i want it back.. Due to the fact i think that it will be hard to sell when i eventually want to sell it... sounds corny, but i think the love i had for the car has now gone as its now "damaged goods", even when its fixed.

If it get wrote off i think i will be happy..... Do you think it will be?
The car is a 51reg Jaguar x type with 60k and FSH worth about £3500.. the damage occured is the following:
Front bumper,
bonnet,
drivers front wing,
drivers headlight unit,
drivers front wheel will no longer turn,
washer tank,
ABS piping
alloy seems to have been pushed back.

If the car is seen to be worth fixing, can i demand that it gets fixed by my main Jaguar dealer, as it i DO have to have it back, i want it fixed by the main dealer for piece of mind etc..

thanks for the help

Scott

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/02/2009 at 14:59

accident car.. Can i demand its fixed at m dealer - Andrew-T
Strange argument. You will need to get an estimate of repair cost - going to the main dealer will get you the dearest quote, so perhaps the best chance of a write-off. Clearly an insurance job, so the ins.co. may ask for a second opinion. But if you don't get it repaired, you will only have a heap of salvage to sell, which may not be profitable. Seems to me that the car should be repaired and then sold, if you still don't want it. But there may be few takers ...
accident car.. Can i demand its fixed at m dealer - astrabob
If I assume that your own insurance company handle this claim, with the list of damage, I think that they will write it off.

If this is the case, then you'll obviously check lots of advertisements for similar cars to make sure that you get a fair offer.
accident car.. Can i demand its fixed at m dealer - Altea Ego
I think this wil be a write off. You can of course have it repaired by a main dealer BUT very few of them have their own body shop and they will fob it off to some back street body shop and then charge you a profit on top for an "approved" tag.
accident car.. Can i demand its fixed at m dealer - jc2
Dealer won't normally fix it or if they do,it would be an awful job(dealers usually have 50-70% apprentice/trainee labour).Most dealers put the work out to a body shop.
accident car.. Can i demand its fixed at m dealer - George Porge
There's no guarantee of a quality repair even if it was done by a main dealer.

Ask your ins co to write it off, if its near 2/3 the value of the car they usually will.
accident car.. Can i demand its fixed at m dealer - oldnotbold
It's a write off, surely?
Car accident; Can I demand main dealer fix it? - madux
Sorry - I was just playing with the thread title.
Car accident; Can I demand main dealer fix it? - Westpig
wife's X Type estate was clonked before Christmas. It needed a new F/O/S wing, respray of bumper....and unbeknown to me i.e. they did it without me requesting it, a new tyre

that lot at an approved paint shop i.e. one that Jaguar Cars had approved and provided with certificates of excellence...came to about £1,600

car came back properly valeted inside and out and the repair was pretty good

the insurance company wanted to use their repairer but i wasn't having that, there was no problem with me insisting otherwise

i'm happy to recommend that garage if you're anywhere near Camden Town and they had a collection service.. just google M&A Coachworks
accident car.. Can i demand its fixed at m dealer - scottdogg
So i can actually "ask" the insurance company to write it off?

Would this then mean they would make me a poor offer on the value of my car as they know i dont want the car anymore?
SQ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/02/2009 at 18:20

accident car.. Can i demand its fixed at m dealer - Blue {P}
I don't think that you get a lot of say in whether they write it off or not, they will do whatever is cheapest. Fortunately for you this will be a write off anyway I should imagine.

The insurance co. will look at Glasses guide, get a valuation of what the car would cost to buy retail and offer you a figure in that ballpark.

Having seen main dealer work I can assure you that it can vary enormously, some is top notch and some is awful, you're just as well off taking it to a reputable local bodyshop.

accident car.. Can i demand its fixed at m dealer - BobbyG
I would guess with the damage you state and the value you have on it, then it would be a write off.
However on the other hand it sounds as if its pretty much body damage as opposed to engine, electronics etc.

Wings bumpers headlights etc are easily replaced. If you were otherwise happy with the car, I would prefer to get these bits replaced and to know the rest of the car rather than trying to buy a replacement for £3500 and knowing no history.

If i had a 6 year old car I would be guessing the front would have stone chips, bumpers parking scrapes etc. To get them replaced with new ones would be enough for me if I was otherwise happy with rest if car.
accident car.. Can i demand its fixed at m dealer - brum
If the bonnets been crumpled and the front wheel wont turn and alloy pushed back, then it has extensive structural damage underneath (plus radiator/aircon etc). Most certainly a writeoff. Writeoffs are usually based on 2/3rd of market price (based on glass and pre accident condition). I think you'll find its market price is closer to £2500.
accident car.. Can i demand its fixed at m dealer - smokie
My Vectra was written off earlier this week. Repair costs would have been £3800. They initially offered £3500, I went back to them and asked for £3750, which they agreed.

I reckon selling privately I'd have been very lucky to get £3k, poss as low as £2.5k, plus all the hassle of selling. It was a 70k mile car and in reasonably good, but nowhere near perfect, condition. What you need to be is very realistic about what your car is really worth these days.
accident car.. Can i demand its fixed at m dealer - yorkiebar
I think it will be a write off from the damage ( and other associated damage it will have caused) but, if you were totally blame free then yes you can insist on having it repaired at a repairer of your choice.

My choice would not be a main dealer (who may outsource such work) but a quality bodyshop that I knew of, or was recommended to.

hth