00 1.9 A/C Compressor Clutch breaking up - 547HEW
Engine is AJM (PD TDI 115PS) .
At a mere 178,000 miles my A/C clutch appears to be breaking up. Horrible noises plus flakes of chrome plating appearing in FEAD area, and rust dust present on A/C pulley face. Compressor is Sanden SD7V16, model 1215. Vehicle now off road awaiting repair.

If you release FEAD belt tension, the noise is eliminated. Disconnecting the A/C clutch makes no difference. So I am reasonable confident of correct diagnosis.

My first question is, does anyone know if the pulley/clutch is removeable from the compressor without separating the compressor from the A/C system, and having to refill?
I would prefer to take this course of action if possible.

2nd question Can anyone recommend a good independent in the Cambridge area?

Thanks
547HEW
00 1.9 A/C Compressor Clutch breaking up - elekie&a/c doctor
The compressor will need to be removed from the engine to dismantle the clutch.However once the clutch starts to break up it usually chews up the nose of the compressor shaft so that the pump is u/s.At this mileage I would suggest an exchange or re-man unit.Try Compressor Tech in Birmingham.hth
Thanks for the info Doc. Comp Tech website looks v interesting.

I'm coming up for a cam belt change so might as well do the whole lot now as accessibility isnt marvelous on these.

But, do you know if it is possible to get the compressor off with minimal removal of adjacent parts? (The cambelt job requires half the front of the car to be removed!)

00 1.9 A/C Compressor Clutch breaking up - elekie&a/c doctor
With the poly-vee belt removed and the system de-pressurised,there are 2 allen bolts holding the 2 pipes to the rear of the pump and 2 long through bolts that hold the pump to the engine ,access from the cambelt end.It is not necessary to remove the alternator.hth
Thanks for your info Doc. May be useful in the future as its actually a case of Red Face department! The sprag clutch in the alternator pulley broke up! I'm told this is a common occurence and VW dealers stock the part. Thanks again for your help.