00 2.8 Suspect blown head gasket - wayne71
Hi, I'm after a bit of advice if anyone can oblige.

I was driving to work today when I heard a sharp cracking like noise from under the car, it sounded like a stone hitting the car but I was actually stationery at the time.

Shortly after I noticed what appeared to be smoke coming from under the front end, on closer inspection it was steam and water was dripping from under the car.

Keeping an eye on the temp gauge I continued for approx 1 mile to work and rang the RAC.

The RAC guy said he suspects the head gasket has blown, he came to this conclusion because the radiator/coolant tank had split/cracked, he then towed me home.

Is there anyway a mechanic will be able to diagnose this as the definite cause before taking my engine to pieces?

Prior to this I have had no probems, no loss of power or anything, I did however add some antifreeze to the radiator yesterday and was wondering if the tank could have cracked if I added to much, I remember doing this to an old golf of mine years ago but on that occasion it simply blew a valve.

Thanks
00 2.8 Suspect blown head gasket - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Although these engines are fragile the radiators are more so. I have had recently a 3.5 V8 version which blew its original radiator after about 90k and the quality pattern replacement 13 months later at what appears to be a flaw in the moulding adjacent to the top hose. We replaced it with an OE unit and all ok so far but I noticed the same moulding mark on the OE as on the pattern one. A chemical sniffer test will reveal a leaking gasket.