£3K to spend, what to buy? - Simon Smithson
With £3K to spend what would you buy?

I'm looking for something fairly quick, yet not ridiculously expensive to insure. Ideally a 1.4 or 1.6.

I've been looking at 'mid' sized cars, e.g Puntos, Clios, 306s, but am currently tempted by BMW 316 compacts, though obviously get I'd be looking at an older car if I decide to go 'upmarket'.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or know of anything going in this pricerange?

Thanks in advance,

Simon
£3K to spend, what to buy? - svpworld
A compact for under 3K? Is it possible?

S.

Not quite, but I might be tempted to stretch my budget for one!

I'm also tempted by Rover 200s. Does anyone have any good/bad experiences with these and can anyone suggest any models to look out for?
£3K to spend, what to buy? - dan
Not that l'm biased but what about a late reg (95) Volvo 480 turbo. All the business and very much underrated. You would have change from £2.5K if you look about.
£3K to spend, what to buy? - jc
I've said it before,don't spend 3k. to find it's another 3k. to insure.
£3K to spend, what to buy? - dan
Erm, when were Clios regarded as mid-sized.
Wouldn't touch the 316. As you mentioned 'fast' not gutless.
£3K to spend, what to buy? - Simon Smithson
OK, lets discount the BMW altogether!

After speaking to a few people I know that owned fleet Rover 200s I'm feeling like this maybe the car for me. Does anyone have any reccomendations regarding these cars? What would be a better bet, the 1.4/1.6i petrol or the 2.0 diesel, given that all are about the same price to buy. (thought the insurance on the 1.6 is a little pricey).

Oldtimers Clio does look tempting, though it seems to be worth more than 3K and a 1.2 is a little small for my liking.

Thanks for all the advice so far,

Simon
£3K to spend, what to buy? - Monaro
My Aunt has a 96N 216Si in white and has owned it since 97. It is a fast car ith a nice engine but has been so unreliable. The trim all feels like it is going to fall off, the paint has faded to different shades on all panels. The car has had bills of over 700 pounds at each service to fix things, most engine related although I don't know the exact details, and for a medium spec model it has no kit. She may have been unlucky with the particular car that she got, but I have seen others in similar states. She is keeping it though as it is British and she likes it.

Paul C
£3K to spend, what to buy? - J Bonington Jagworth
So you managed to sort out the lack of power/lambda probe problem? :-)
(Apologies if it was a different Dan...)