Retro-fitting Cruise Control/PDC - NickS
Afternoon all,

I was just wondering about the complexity of retro-fitting CC + PDC on my Mk V Golf 2.0TDI GT. Having had both on my previous few cars, and using them regularly when driving the pool cars at work, i really miss not having them on my car.

There are several "kits" on ebay that claim to be VW parts, which look to be effectively a new indicator stalk, with the associated buttons/switches on.

I had a 1991 BMW 730i for a short period, and the previous owner had fitted Cruise himself, and told me it was as easy as installing the new stalk, and plugging it into the ECU under the steerign wheel.

So my question is, how easy would it be to do on my car, and is it worth the hassle?

Thanks

Nick
Retro-fitting Cruise Control/PDC - daveyjp
Retro fitting CC to an A3 is exactly as you describe. New stalk and lower steering column shroud and plug in to ECU. Being a VAG product the Golf is no doubt the same.

I suggest a visit to a dedicated VW owners website - the Audi one is excellent for this info and companies who do the work advertise there.

Edited by daveyjp on 03/02/2009 at 12:48

Retro-fitting Cruise Control/PDC - Altea Ego
Retro fitting CC to an A3 is exactly as you describe. New stalk and lower
steering column shroud and plug in to ECU. Being a VAG product the Golf is
no doubt the same.

Not quite. you then have to get someone with full VAG.COM diagnostics AND the knowledge to change the config to get the feature talking to the data bus.
Retro-fitting Cruise Control/PDC - oldtoffee
>>Not quite. you then have to get someone with full VAG.COM diagnostics AND the knowledge to change the config to get the feature talking to the data bus.

That's right - I had one retro fitted to my Fabia vRS by someone advertising on a Skoda enthusiasts site. He'd done quite a few judging by the good references on the site and it took him about an hour - an amazing amount of undoing and disconnecting stuff. He did a VAG.COM update to complete it as well as a diagnostic sweep that reset the faulty heater fans and deleted the hugely annoying extra delayed sweep of the wipers after a screen wash. IIRC it was about £100 less than a main dealer.

Retro-fitting Cruise Control/PDC - oldgit
I was just wondering about the complexity of retro-fitting CC + PDC on my Mk V Golf 2.0TDI GT...........

SQ

I'd venture to a website that could really answer your question and that is www.uk-mkivs.net where they know everything about VW's and related cars

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/02/2009 at 19:22