03 1.6 clonking noise round corners - flea
every time i take a sharp corner, or go over bumps i can hear a distinct clonk underneath the car, but the position of the clonk varies. usually in nsf footwell area, but sometimes to osr

originally i thought it was the exhaust coming loose, so have had that tightened, but it hasnt stopped the noise. have now had the suspension checked and that was ok too

so now im stumped

Any ideas,

T

Edited by Pugugly on 02/02/2009 at 21:20

03 1.6 clonking noise round corners - ex-Triumph man
Wierd noises can sometimes be difficult to pinpoint, just like water leaks. I am not familiar with this particular vehicle, however does it not have its spare wheel slung underneath? That is a possible source.
The best thing would be to call in at a friendly garage who have a spare ramp and just have a good look and try shaking anything that could come loose, exhaust etc. Worth a try anyway.
Are you sure the knock is underneath, and not a loose de-icer spray tin rolling about?
03 1.6 clonking noise round corners - Armitage Shanks {p}
Wheel nuts tight all round? Doesn't sound like a good answer but worth checking
funnily enough ive had new tyres put on recently, and thinking about it, ive only noticed this noise since then - will go and check the wheels

T
have emptied the glove box, as i originally thought it was the wheelnut keys, but no, its still making the noise

yes the spare wheel is underneath, but ive tried that and it seems firmly in place

will take the car back, and get them to put it up on the ramp again, and give it a good going over

T

2.0 HDi Clonking from underneath- N/S Front - Fluffykins
I'm having much the same problems with a clonk from an indeterminate point SOMEWHERE underneath the nearside front, sounding like its coming from anywhere between the front footwell, back to the centre pillar.

I'd done the same as the other posters here: Checked the storage for loose things, the doors for worn catches and rattles, the exhaust for tightness, all to no avail.

I *HAVE* seen a thought that the clonking can be caused by worn ball joints at the ends on the drop links, which go between the ends of the anti-roll bar and the front wishbones.

Certainly there seem to be a lot of replacement links being pushed on eBay.

Does anyone have any experience?
03 1.6 clonking noise round corners - Fixer

Top bearing gone above spring

Also if been taken off before that the spring is tightened down with washers but before refit and then washer and but on top to body, just done one and the two nuts were on top no but holding spring down hence rattle ? No inspection and test projecting would pull this up ok

03 1.6 clonking noise round corners - Andrew-T

You have waited nearly 10 years to answer this - it may have been sorted by now.