Good Service From Protyre - Rich Mixture
Someone mentioned in the old backroom that Protyre was a subsidiary of Mitcheldever Tyres, the company that seems to offer amongst the most competitive tyre prices in the UK. I've just bought 4 new tyres there today and am delighted with the service. They ARE a subsidiary of Mitcheldever Tyres and the deal seems to be the Mitcheldever price plus whatever they charge for delivery to the Protyre branch (about £4 per tyre in my case). This still worked out as excellent value for me and sure beat the 45+ minute wait you can expect at Mitcheldever. I was particularly impressed with:

* Polite and courteous manager and staff
* Very quick turnaround (about 20 minutes for all four tyres)
* They use proper 4 point cushioned ramp lifts positioned under
the correct jacking points for your vehicle - NO TROLLEY JACKS
AND BENT SILLS!
* Their air guns are set to the correct torque for wheel nuts
* Clean and tidy premises
* Competitive prices

Obviously I may have just got lucky with my branch, but their philosophy certainly seems good. Branches throughout Southern England (www.protyre.co.uk)

Rich - not connected with Protyre in any way other than being
a satisfied customer
Good Service From Protyre - jc
Our local branch of Justtyres(I think they've gone bankrupt) did the wheel nuts up with a spider wrench and then used a torque spanner to set them,never seen that before or since.Please explain how you set an air wrench individually for each type of wheel,car.I will be most interested as I have an air wrench and several cars.
jc,

I can't tell you how they did it as I didn't watch closely. I assume there's a configurable torque 'adapter' between the wrench and the socket. I have taken their word that this was done and they have certainly invested in the best and latest equipment so I see no reason to disbelieve them. If I get a spare moment over the weekend I'll use my torque wrench to undo a couple and see what they were set at.

Rich
Good Service From Protyre - Ben79
Can you undo a nut to see what torque it was set to? My opinion would be that you can't. I think of a jar of jam, excluding stickiness, it always seems harder to undo a jar than to do it up.

Ben
Good Service From Protyre - Dynamic Dave
Our local branch of Justtyres(I think they've gone bankrupt) did the
wheel nuts up with a spider wrench and then used a
torque spanner to set them,never seen that before or since.

ATS also get the torque wrench out to do up the wheel bolts.
Good Service From Protyre - jc
Your branch.
Good Service From Protyre - Dynamic Dave
Your branch.

JC,

Which post are you replying to? Is it mine regarding ATS? If so, 3 different branches within S.Oxfordshire use the torque wrench and not the windy gun to tighten the nuts. After commenting to the local manager, he informed me it's company policy. So I guess all branches do it.
Good Service From Protyre - El Hacko
think you'll find some JustTyres branches survived thanks to Management Buyout - like the one local to me, in Epsom, Surrey, which is clean, efficient, reliable and good value, in the recent experience of my family and friends.

Andrew
Good Service From Protyre - <0.One%
Obviously I may have just got lucky with my branch, but
their philosophy certainly seems good. Branches throughout Southern England (www.protyre.co.uk)
>>

The link above does not work on my PC (although the one posted by HJ in the FAQ's does work).

The reason it does not work above is that a space should have been left before the closing bracket; i.e.
( www.protyre.co.uk )

Well spotted, my mistake. Thanks for pointing this out, perhaps our moderator could edit the link on my behalf?