Micra engine lifespan? - Kool PT
Hi there,

Just wondered what sort of mileage people would suggest the 1.0/1.3 engines from the original Micra are capable of?

I'm looking for a cheap one in a market that seems to be astonishingly competetive...been raking through the papers on the morning they come out, and most of the cars I phone up about are already sold. The rest are owned by mad old bats who can't tell me what size of engine is in their Fiesta! I'm drifting towards the Micra because of the chain-cam engines and general jap reliability/british build quality.

There have been a few fairly cheap examples with 50-90k on them but as a high percentage of micra owners will be OAPs and people who have never had a car serviced in their life because they have only done 4k of driving over the 3 years they've had it, the low mileage doesn't straight away strike me as the most important factor. On the other hand I've found one an hour's drive away with 1L, 120k on the clock, 2 previous owners & 12 months MOT. Is it likely to cover much more ground?

Cheers,

Tom
Micra engine lifespan? - stunorthants26
Well the proper original Micra had 1.0 and 1.2 engines, your thinking of the later bubble shape.
My mistake, I'm thinking of the 2nd generation model.

So, did you have any thoughts on the lifespan of the 2nd generation engines?

Cheers
Micra engine lifespan? - Lygonos
How long's a piece of string?

In reality if it has recently passed emissions testing, has clean oil, makes no odd noises/smoke, runs smoothly, and hasn't got a knackered cambelt it should have years left to run.

150-200k from a petrol engine shouldn't be unreasonable.

If you can't tick all the above boxes, then look at another - they're not exactly rare ;-)
They are common with people running them on a shoestring and older folk - both worth avoiding, the elderly owned ones if they have done low miles. The best ones I would say are used for commuting or as a second car, so they get a few good hot runs.
Micra engine lifespan? - bathtub tom
Watch out for rattly timing chain when cold. Walk away if the seller has warmed it up for you.
Read CBC above: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=274
Micra engine lifespan? - Rattle
My late grandad had one, it was a 1.3 16V so quite powerful. His was one of the very first of the MK2s. The engine still worked at 140k but was quite worn by then and the body work was starting to rust (it had new sills for its last ever MOT). He thought it was a very good car, but then he was comparing it his previous string of Ladas, Meastro, two Montegos, kent Cortinas and an A30.

A freind recently bought an N reg one for £500 with 42k on the clock, its in brand new condition got a bargain there.
Thanks for the extra opinions guys.

I have checked out the breakdown on this car, any suggestions for differentiating between a camchain rattle vs another rattle? should the engine be fairly quiet otherwise?

the example i mentioned earlier has sold but it would appear that you all agree that any of these cars that has averaged 60k of miles per owner is probably a more solid bet than a suspect granny-wagon doing a few miles here and there.

I have seen a few potential bargains but all had sold by the time I phoned. I definitely want one post 96 as I read that they had anti roll bars fitted at this point. I am getting a little desperate though as weather is getting more severe and I had intended to run a small hatchback as a winter car to avoid spinning my mr2 roadster into a wall :) at this rate, the sun will be beating down and I might just manage to find an example!

Micra engine lifespan? - Sprice
It's not so much the engine longevity that's an issue with these but the body, especially the front cross-member (the bit at the front of the car between the headlights). It can rot badly. For the engines, the throttle bodies can be troublesome too.
Micra engine lifespan? - Rattle
From what I can remember from my grandads is that it used to run quite rough and it had a rattle from the top end which I assume was the camshaft.

You would be a lot better of getting a 2000 high milleage example than a low milleage old example. I made that mistake with my fiesta, it was mechanicaly great but it was completly rotten.

If it has been owned by old people make sure you check the clutch properly too.
Micra engine lifespan? - Sheldon
Hi ,

I owned a Micra (frog faced new version 1.2 16V ) for 2.5 years and put 63k miles on it before I sold it. The engine was lovely and drank no oil. Also 400+ miles to a tank on long trips. The reason I sold it was that Nationwide Autos told me that the suspension arms needed replacing (I'm not sure I believe them now, I was bit car green at the time and think they might have been having me on!)

I would say that this was the most reliable car I ever owned. I now run Toyotas, due to their reliabilty record. However I have had more problems with them than the Nissan (however the toyotas are diesel.)

Hope this helps.
If I was looking for a solid small jap car, id also be looking to the Daihatsu Charade late 90's and Toyota Starlet as both are pretty bombproof. Dead cheap usually too.