99 1.8 car tyres - mstar
hi people

a quick questions, i hope someone can give me some advice on...

1. is it essential to have the fronts the same as the rears? (e.g brand/make etc), i have new tyres on the front, but the rears i was going to get some budget/midrange ones

2. i have new V rated tyres at the front but i saw a special offer ina garage for H rated tyres, which i was going to put on the rear is this wrong to do?

anyone
99 1.8 car tyres - Dynamic Dave
Mixing brand/make isn't really an issue. As long as one isn't a directional tyre and the other is.

Also, if Ford stipulate that your car requires V rated tyres, then fitting a lower rated tyre such as a H rated one is a no no. Not to mention insurance complications.
99 1.8 car tyres - quizman
If I were you I would fit similar tyres to the rear as are on the front. You do not want inferior tyres on the rear, you are supposed to have the best tyres on the rear.
DD is right, you should not go to H rating if Ford specify V.
I like all 4 tyres the same, they are all you have between you and the road.
99 1.8 car tyres - mstar
unfortunatly i got 2 tyres cheap from my mate who owes a garage (really cheap lol) as i dnt have much money is it wise to put my premium tyres on the front? and budgets at the rear?? or the other way round. The focus is front wheel drive
99 1.8 car tyres - KevHull87
On a slightly different note, can you increase the profile of the tyre from what the manufacturer states?
99 1.8 mixing speed rating tyres - mstar
i have a focus 1.8 zetec hatch Front wheel drive.

I have brand new V rated tyres for the front, however my local garage said he has 2 brand new dunlop sp01's which i can have for £30 each -but the catch is they are HR rated both are 195/60/15 88 load index.

my question is can i put the H rated tyres on the rear? and fronts V rated?
will that make the car illegal or fail MOT? is there any driving difference i will notice?
99 1.8 mixing speed rating tyres - Dynamic Dave
Although the legal max speed you're allowed to do in the uk is 70 mph, Ford have to fit tyres that are capable of being able to cope your car's maximum speed.

H rated = up to 130 mph.
V rated = up to 149 mph.

Although it will probably escape an MOT testers eye, your insurance company may show an interest if you were to have an accident and notice that the wrong speed rated tyres were fitted, thus invaliding your insurance.
99 1.8 mixing speed rating tyres - quizman
However many tyres have you got for your car?
You posted 2 weeks ago with a similar question, what sort of answer are you looking for?
Personally I like 4 different makes and ratings on my car, it makes driving so much more fun.

{well remembered QM. Threads merged. DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/02/2009 at 19:12

99 1.8 mixing speed rating tyres - mstar
well i have 2 tyres brand new but looking to change all 4, and hence i was asking if i can get away with H rated on the rear. I never seen it before but not sure if its against the law.
99 1.8 mixing speed rating tyres - Dynamic Dave
One final try. If Ford have specified that your car requires V rated tyres, then you shouldn't fit H rated. And then there's insurance invalidation to consider as well.

I can't make it any plainer for you to understand than that.
99 1.8 mixing speed rating tyres - piston power
If it was mine id stick H rated tyres on your car it won't do over 130mph.

A few years back the vauxhall cavalier 2.0i came with 195/60v14 tyres on dunlop as standard, thats because they made so many v rated tyres vauxhall got a good deal and fitted them.

My grandads merc A160cdi has a 3x v rated and 1x h rated and passed 3 mot's.