05 2.0 Do i need a new cam sensor? - mike9951
Hi guys, i just need to verify that i need a new can sensor, im having a problem when im sat still ideling the engine sometimes cuts out, the engine management light comes on and so does the glow plug light but does not flash. The car restarts fine. Also when going up hills i can feel the car juddering as if its running out of diesel. So cam sensor or something more serious?
(2.0l tdci 05 plate) Thank you.
05 2.0 Do i need a new cam sensor? - GingerTom
With the glow plug light on a dealer will be able to read off the fault code and tell you where the problem is.

Could well be cam sensor or could be throttle position sensor or EGR or fuel pump or injectors or........
05 2.0 Do i need a new cam sensor? - jdctoffee
Most likely yes. I had same problem last week. Had diagnostics done which came up with fault on both cam and crank sensors. Had both changed, parts cost £45 and car is now running fine. Touch wood!!
ok, so does anyone know where the cam and crank sensors are located?
Also how do i remove the black engine cover?
Thanks.
05 2.0 Do i need a new cam sensor? - googolplex
I'm no technical expert, but this wasn't my experience when my cam sensor went on a TDCi 03 (130). What happened was that the car would intermittently just cut out, and grind to a halt in all sorts of driving. The new cam sensor solved it immediately. However, it took Ford 2 attempts to diagnose the problem which was a real pest.

[Got rid of it, now, following various big problems - blown turbos, failed fuel injectors - and, after over £2k spent on repairs, drive the petrol 2 litre instead. So far, runs superbly.]
ok, so does anyone know where the cam and crank sensors are located?
05 2.0 Do i need a new cam sensor? - karaokeglen
the cam sensor is located under the exsault manafold and has a 10mm bolt holding it in and is plastic in the side of the cyc/head in the middle and the crank case is located at the flywheel end on the top of the bell housing
05 2.0 Do i need a new cam sensor? - karaokeglen
yes the cam sensor is the problem!!! change that and you will be motoring again £17 from ford main dealer and 1 10mm bolt to change the sensor, in fords wisdom they made the sensor in plastic and holds a magnectis switch that opens and closes to a magnectic mark on the cam shaft, but over a perioud of time the switch breaks down and causes the ecu to go alittle tits up, and the engine just goes into safe mode and cuts out, but when you restart it it resets everything , but after 20 restarts the ecu wipes out all error codes so you can never get a true reading but change that sensor and it will run much better and the fuel econ will much inprouve too as it is burning the fuel more effecently i have changed about 150 of them for people that is one of the most comman probs on this engine, hope this helps
05 2.0 Do i need a new cam sensor? - the budah
has anyone had this problem? tried to start my 2006mondeo tdci 115 car wouldn,t start and glow plug light came on. Had diagnostics done came up with cam sensor fault,replaced sensor still wont start and still stating cam sensor fault,the car has done 104000miles as im a taxi driver,my car is well serviced and oil change done every 8000miles.has car brought to my local garage who i have used for many years and tell them symptoms on further inspection the chain has expaned and jumped closing down engine! have chain replaced still not starting over although fuel reaching the head.Have now had to get injectors tested and recon for a very decent price of £100 for four injectors and with £695 for chain and engine build giving me a bill of £795.already had a recon ecu 10month ago at a cost of £550 and along with front tyres needing changed every 10000to 15000miles i can honestly say the ford mondeo is not built for taxi trade giving that the car is well maintained oh it has had the clutch and flywheel done at 58000miles so that will happen again im sure i have bit the bullet and decided to get rid after 18 months of taxi work going back to what i know german vw
05 2.0 Do i need a new cam sensor? - adnanrana
It is cheap and easy to change the Cam sensor. Black sensors were faulty ones and should be replaced with grey ones. Ford dealer sell them for about £18, and can be fitted by even a child following the instructions at:

www.pc-point.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3

Look at the picture in above forum to see location of sensor and check the colour of it. It if is black then change it anyway.
i have just found the cam senosr and it is the gray type. i thought the gray ones were ok and the black ones at fault. Also when the car cuts out the glow plug now flashes which it didnt do before. still the can sensor or something else?
05 2.0 Do i need a new cam sensor? - kithmo
Could this be related to the squeaking you mention in your other thread ?
Maybe one of the pipes is split or loose between the turbo and the intercooler, this would cause it to run rough and the squeak could be the air escaping.
Maybe but the squeeking sounds like its coming from the bottom of the engine near the pullies and belts. thought it maybe a loose fan belt but it has a auto tenshioner.
05 2.0 Do i need a new cam sensor? - henrik_L
can anyone tell me do i need to disconnect the battery when fitting a cam sensor to my mondeo diesel 130

{'txt' talk replaced with proper words}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/12/2009 at 18:35

05 2.0 Do i need a new cam sensor? - WorkshopTech
General workshop rule is to always disconnect the battery when working on the electrical or fuel systems, and that is best practice to follow. In the case of the cam sensor, you should be OK leaving connected though, just make sure ign is off and key out.