00 1.8 diesel engine running on and white smoke - evans
Hello - I'm new to this and to diesel!
I have a well maintained mondeo - serviced and low mileage for year - I also have an excellent and trustworthy mechanic - and we're stumped by the car's behaviour.

Occasionally on start up (hot or cold) the 'engine' clatters and revs extremely high (into red) even after I've switched the ignition off. White smoke pours out (so much that there is no visibility around the car for a while and it usually causes quite a stir if there are onlookers!)

I can, however start up again and all seems well (no clatter or revs) and off I go - sometimes white smoke pours out for a few miles (annoying other motorists) and sometimes it clears quite quickly.

There are periods where the car behaves beautifully and other times it will have the above tantrum in a 'cluster'

Filters, pump, injectors, timing and turbo all appear OK
Oil has been changed and not over filled
Accelerator 'arm' has been fixed (sticking a little)

HELP!! Any ideas welcome.

PS This morning white smoke poured out profusely - so much I couldn't use it - very smelly also - but no high revving - a conundrum...

Edited by Pugugly on 31/01/2009 at 07:55

2000 1.8 diesel engine running on and white smoke - jimbeagley
Hi Mary
I see we are both scouring the web for answers. I am now convinced that the idle diagpram in the top of the injector pump is faulty - planning to take it apart tomorrow morning if I'm feeling brave and will let you know how I get on. I've gone off the idea of the engine picking up sump oil and running on mainly because the smoke is white and not blue/white - although I have not seen it with my own eyes yet... does it smell of burning oil or burning diesel when it revs up? Jim (Hay cars)
2000 1.8 diesel engine running on and white smoke - L'escargot
www.difflock.com has a diesel trouble-shooting page which includes the symptoms you describe. tinyurl.com/camtj8
2000 1.8 diesel engine running on and white smoke - jc2
I see you say injectors are OK;one of the causes of white smoke is unburnt fuel and this can be cause by a "hosing" injector;fuel coming out of the injector nozzle as a jet instead of a spray.
2000 1.8 diesel engine running on and white smoke - spikeyhead {p}
If its carrying on running at high revs after the ignition has been turned off then its burning engine oil as fuel, probably getting in through the turbo seals.
2000 1.8 diesel engine running on and white smoke - DP
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=62057

Cheers
DP
2000 1.8 diesel engine running on and white smoke - jimbeagley
Changed the boost valve on the front of the diesel pump. There was diesel in the pipe to the turbo indicating a split diagphram. Perfect now!