Condensation - Lou_O
Hi,

My 2001 Accord hatchback has started getting a lot of condensation on the rear window and in the cold weather I end up having to scrape ice off both sides of the rear window.

Any ideas on things I can check for?

Don't know if it's relevant but the AC doesn't seem to be working too well, could it be a factor?

Cheers,

Lou
Condensation - Stuartli
See:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=100

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=14
Condensation - ex-Triumph man
When did you last get the air-con serviced?
Condensation - Old Navy
Dont forget that aircon cuts out below about 5C and its been cool recently. I would go for a leak. Is there water in the spare wheel well?
Condensation - Stuartli
>>..Dont forget that aircon cuts out below about 5C>>

Only if you move the demisting knob too far round to try and clear the windscreen (at least that's the case in my VW).
Condensation - Old Navy
All the cars I have had with aircon have cut out completly at low temperature to protect the aircon system. On my Focus the aircon defaults on (if it is above 5C) when the demist air direction is selected. I have checked the manual and it says "The aircon does not operate below +5C".
Condensation - Stuartli
>>....when the demist air direction is selected>>

My VW's manual states that, for reasons of safety, air recirculation is not possible if the rotary direction knob is turned to the windscreen (demist) position.

It adds that air recirculation mode should not be used for extended periods of time as no fresh air is drawn in and the windows could mist up.
Condensation - Old Navy
>>air recirculation mode>>

Who mentioned recirculation? I said that aircon does not work below about 5C.
Condensation - Lou_O
It's probably been around a year, maybe a little longer.

I'll check the seals and pollen filter, there's no water in the wheel well, the rear wash nozzle is worth a check as the rear wash doesn't work brilliantly.

Thanks,

Lou
Condensation - L'escargot
It could be caused by dampness in the carpets and seats. If it is, and you park facing the sun in the afternoon you'll get condensation on the inside of the rear window when the sun goes down. If you park with the back of the car facing the sun, you'll get the condensation on the front screen.
Condensation - Bill Payer
I saw very positive comments about this dessicant filled bag for keepiing the interior dry on PistonHeads: tinyurl.com/2grftu
Condensation - L'escargot
tinyurl.com/2grftu

Quoting the price (£8.9361 exc VAT) to 4 places of decimals is a bit OTT!