How many here have bikes? - doug_r1
I've been riding bikes for 45 years now and currently ride:
1999 R1, my commuter bike that does 100 miles a day and is showing 67,000 miles
2005 Kawasaki ZX6R, showing 21,000 miles
2007 Kawasaki ZX10R, showing 4,000 miles
Clearly I like sports bikes, but what other bikes do forum members have?
How many here have bikes? - Clanger
I had a Honda 50 in 1970 which I used to do a 50 mile commute on. Put me off bikes for 30 years. Passed my test in Feb 2002 and bought a Bandit 600. Replaced a couple of years ago with a V-Strom 650. A nice easy, plush ride with good fuel economy. Better comfort for the pillion as well.
How many here have bikes? - DP
A 1994 Kawasaki ZZR600 E2 which has done virtually nothing the past couple of years, but which will be back out and about this year.

Had a 1999 ZX7R P4 which I sold, and used to use SWMBO's GPZ500S occasionally. I'm a Kawasaki fan, as you might be able to tell.

Been riding 7 yrs this year.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 27/01/2009 at 12:53

How many here have bikes? - BorisTheSpider
Relative youngster here.
Been riding 5 years, 4 years of that on provisional status.
Suzuki TS125 X built 1989 registered 1990, 2-stoke.
Honda CBF600S, 2004 (04) heated grips, gps, Autocom (mostly for the ipod but also for bike-bike)

Boris
How many here have bikes? - Mr.Tee43
I passed my test in 96 and since then i have had (all new) a Yamaha Fazer 600 followed by a Suzuki SV1000S and now back on a Yamaha Fazer but a Generation 2 1000.

I just love setting off on long roadtrips with a few mates.We do 4/5 day trips around Scotland every year and a couple of years ago we did a week long trip through France, across the Pyrenees and down to southern Spain, just about 3000 miles in total.

We are off to the IOM this year but I want to ride down France again and do the Route Napolean, some of which I did in my car and at the time thought that I have just got to ride this on my bike.

Looking forward to a bit of bike chat here.
How many here have bikes? - martint123
1998 Yamaha YZF-R1 from new up to 90,000 miles now. Insured as a "classic" by Carol Nash!
1998 Honda SLR650 big single, bought 1999 as a runaround and for winter, 30,000 miles now.
How many here have bikes? - 1400ted
Currently riding a Honda FJS600 Silverwing. Own a Raleigh RM1 Reg no TED ***.
Own a 1966 Velocette LE MK3 in black Manchester City Police trim with dummy radio pack. Great for shows. Was issued with this bike when it was brand new, out of the box, on the A Division (city centre) spent many a happy night keeping my hands warm on the cylinders. Found and bought it about 10 yrs ago. Nice to potter about the Cheshire lanes on but brakes awful ! You have to make arrangements in advance to stop.
Ted
Best wishes for the new forum....3 sugars but don't stir it.
How many here have bikes? - Pugugly
R1200GS (2004)

and a "Classic" CB 650 Nighthawk ! (1983)

My first bike was a Raleigh RM9 Ultramatic, although it was all but a Mobylette when it came to buying spares. Tartan soft panniers, a rack above the fuel tank, and leg guards, it was quite practical but not sporty enough at 16 so it made way quite quickly for a Casal K190 sports moped. Happy days.
How many here have bikes? - GandA
I see you have a Nighthawk. I used to own a 750 version and had problems getting spares. There is a company called Nightingales based in Rugby. They proved very useful to me when my local Honda dealer showed no interest in a non uk spec bike. Thought I'd let you know just in case.
How many here have bikes? - happytorque
CB 650 ~ Last of the straight fours with easy to adjust screw and locknut tappets? I seem to remember seeing an item on how to adjust them in Motorcycle Mechanics magazine.
How many here have bikes? - ruxley
Hello Ted from another Ted! I was tempted with an LE about 5 years ago after having been attracted to them since my youth. However, I stuck with Bantams as a run around with an MZ 300cc 2 stroke for longer journeys. I loved my old BMW R80RT but it seemed to be getting heavier and heavier so had to go. I still cannot make out if the LE was an inspired design or a horrible mistake. The Venom was also a temptation when younger but the magneto problems and trying to kick start the devil put me off.
How many here have bikes? - 1400ted
Hi Other Ted,
LE was a great design but could have done with being a 250. Strangely enough, it was designed to a specified width to enable owners to get it through the front door of a terraced house to keep it in the hall or the back yard. I'd forgotten, I also have a Bantam. It's in bits at the moment. It's a 1966, I bought it off a good pal who didn't want it, trouble is, he sent the wheels off for chroming and they've disappeared in the mists of time ! I had a BMW R45 on which I went camping in Germany a few times. Loads of bikes before then incuding Ducati, Suzy, Ariel, Tiger cub and Condor. Bought a Goldie 1200 interstate after the Beemer Was cheap but too heavy to push backwards to get out of garage...made a huge profit and bought the Silverwing...best I've had in spite of being a scoot !
Ted

How many here have bikes? - chris1234
Hi there doug, I have an 02 pan euro which unfortunately hasn't been out for a while due to having some major surgery. I'd like to chop it in for something else. Always been a BMW man before this so maybe it'll be an R100RT if I can find a nice one. Had one a few years ago and they are a lot easier to ride with a better balance. By the way you must do a lot of riding to get 7 years in this year????
How many here have bikes? - GandA
I had shares in several old hacks during the late 60s. A Gold Flash, a 500 single Matchless, a 198 Francis Barnett and I can't remember the rest. We used to ride them around around friend's father's farm. A terrible thing to do to such classics but that's the attitude of youth I guess !!! I finally got round to doing things properly about 10 years ago when I signed up for direct access course which is when got my licence. My first legit bike was a CB 750 Nighthawk which I now regret selling. I traded it for a 900 Trophy when I wanted to do a bit of two up touring. Beautifully comfortable but it was just a bit too tall for me and I dropped it more than once on tight turns. Beware rubble car parks !!! I traded that for a Yam XJR 1300SP which I still have. I don't tour these days, I just use it for weekend fun.
How many here have bikes? - craig-pd130

Passed test at 17 and a week (old style one-part test), had Suzi B100P, GT200X5, X7, then a Triumph TR6, then a rest from bikes.

Have had a 1976 GT380 triple as a dry-day fun machine for the last 10 years, often to be seen on the Cat & Fiddle on Sundays.

Having paid my all-weather riding dues in my teens and twenties, an now a fair-weather rider and proud of it, the best wet-weather protection is a car in my view :-D
Passed my test at 17 on a Kawasaki Z250 scorpion. Been riding for 29 years now. My current bike is a Honda CB1100 - X11. There are not many of them around, buts it's basically a Blackbird minus the fairing. Reputed to have a top speed of 165mph but im unable to comfirm that; never been anywhere near. Also has a 0 to 60 time of 2.5 seconds (that, I can confirm however). Its a great bike and I love it to bits. Dont think I will ever change it.
I now only ride on sunny Sundays and generally find my way over to Matlock Bath. I dread to think how many times Ive made the trip up the A6 to eat a burger with all the other bikers there.
How many here have bikes? - v8man
My current bike is an 02 ZX12R owned from new.
How many here have bikes? - Harleyman
I suppose mine are a bit predictable....

2005 XL1200R Sportster, bought off fleabay 18 months old with 750 miles on clock; the newest Harley I've ever owned and so far the best all-rounder. Comfortable, fast enough, handles well (for a Harley) and reliable. Rubber-mount engine means it behaves very much like a well set-up Norton Commando Interstate, but without the leaks!

1972 Ironhead Sportster; my first H-D in 1989 was an Ironhead, and I've got a soft spot for them. They were one of the first true "superbikes", late 60's and early 70's ones would see 120 on the clock. Kickstart only, SLS drums both ends, vibrates yer fillings out, by modern standards it handles like a shopping trolley and bum starts hurting well before 1.25 gallon tank hits reserve; a masochists dream!

1942 WLC; 750 cc side-valve which was shipped over here by the thousands during WW2. Many, like mine, were civilianised and sold off after the war; more common in Europe than they are in the States, where restored "militaries" fetch silly money. Hand-change, foot clutch, 3-speed box; a good one will top out at 75 and do 50 all day. Incredibly reliable and one of the few machines which can literally be "run into the ground". Believe it or not you can still get virtually any part off the shelf.

Previosly I've owned a 1977 Electra-Glide, 1992 Glide Sport, 1931 VL, 1942 WLA and goodness knows how many Ironhead Sportsters.

Did I mention they're all Harley-Davidsons?

Edited by Webmaster on 28/01/2009 at 00:47

How many here have bikes? - madux
2003 Triumph Sprint RS. "Only" 118bhp but as good as any many a sportsbike for fast road use.
50+mpg and that glorious triple sound!
Owned an 850 Guzzi for 24 years. I miss it now. (Sobs)
How many here have bikes? - Dynamic Dave
First bike, a restricted Yamaha 'Fizzy'
Second bike, an unrestricted Yamaha 'Fizzy' with a 60cc barrel and piston conversion, along with a racing disc valve. Boy did that shift for a moped.
For 2 days a Honda CB100N, that seized up on me and nearly got me killed. Took back to the bike shop and got a refund then off to another bike shop and bought a brand new CB100N.
1 year later (1986) I upgraded it to a CB125TDC, which I still own, and is in A1 condition.
Finally I had a Honda CB500 twin for a year or so which I got off a mate cheap as he owed me some money for rebuilding the engine and some of the replacement parts. He couldn't afford to pay me, so he let me have the bike for a significant discount ;o)
Those little Honda 125 twins were nice bikes Dave; my first, and only new bike in 1978 wsa CB125T, predecessor of yours. Red-lined at 12K, would just sniff 80 on the clock, and I used to ride the brute from Arborfield, Berks to Nottingham and back on a weekend pass; must have been barmy!
How many here have bikes? - SteVee
like craig_pd130 I also had a Suzi B100P - my first commuter bike, that could maybe hit 70 or so !

I now have a Yamaha TDM900. A rare bike in britain - I don't think I've ever spoken to another owner, apart from its previous one.

I must be one of the few bikers around never to have owned a four-pot bike, I must get around to it soon. A Suzi GSX-R750 would be fun, or maybe one of the new Aprilia V4s ...

I do like twins though ...
My first bike was also a honda CB125T2. A nice blue one. Bought it brand new in 1979. As you say, redline at 12,000rpm. No power whatsoever below 9,000 rpm. My best mate had on too. We used to race one another down the A38 near Burton on Trent. We regulary got an indicated 82mph on the clock. Chin on the hadlebars; feet hooked over the rear indicators. If I caught my son doing stupid things like that now I would go crazy. It had hopeless 6V electrics and if you didnt keep the revs up the indicators wouldnt flash.
My first bike was also a honda CB125T2. Bought it brand new in 1979.
It had hopeless 6V electrics

My 1986 one has 12v electrics. I nearly bought the single cylinder 125cc (was it called the CB125RS? - can't remember). Anyway, what I could never understand was the single cylinder Honda had locking side panels and a side stand, whereas the CB125TDC Super Dream I ended up buying didn't, and it was *supposed* to be the more luxurious model! It too will rev right up to (and past) 12,000 rpm, but the speedo is only reading 70 mph at those revs. I once took it up to 80 mph down a steep hill and the rev counter was well past the 13,500 mark. I'm sure I heard the engine sigh with relief when I reached the bottom of the hill at the traffic lights ;o)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/01/2009 at 00:30

I remember running the engine in for 600 miles at no more than 6,000 rpm. I recall that this equated to 39mph. And I actually stuck to the rules and actually did the full 600 miles at 39mph. So 12,000 rpm must have been 78mph; our 82 mph blasts must have been into the red line. Probably wasnt a true 82mph though.
How many here have bikes? - gmac
Messed about with bikes in my yoof, got my full licence in 2002 through DA.
Two days on a 125, another two days on a CB500, test then bought a 2002 ZX6R A1P.
That was an eye opener after the CB500 =8O
Currently use my wifes '97 CBR600F as a daily, year round commuter.
How many here have bikes? - harry m
61 years old now,first bike a ariel golden arrow then many years later a honda 400 super dream and 2 years ago got a new 650 bandit water cooled and with abs.long gaps between bikes but loving every minute with the new one,only when the suns shining of course.
How many here have bikes? - Westpig
had a Yamaha FS1E (fizzy) as a moped at 16...purple one, de-restricted, went like hell for what it was, indestructable.

changed up to a Honda XL125, good old dependable 4 stroke trials, but knobbly tyres on corners sorted the men from the boys. Used to leave it on my mate's farm, so I could 'play' now and again as he had an XL250. My one, road legal, well maintained, decent tyres, was remarkably similar in performance around his dad's 200 acre farm, as his has bald tyres, chain was loose and never serviced etc. Our circuit included two streams and a wood, along with many flat out bits through big fields. What a laugh.

had a gap for a while, then in my early 30's took my test and bought a cheap Honda 400 Superdream. What a heap of junk. That seized up on me, causing me to enter a dual carriageway via the slip road, with the back wheel totally locked up, before it eventually freed itself.. and amazingly still ran...enough to get me home. That thing was an absolute heap.

Then bought a Yamaha XT350 for some London city commuting and general enjoyment. Trouble was it would occasionally conk out, always at the head of the lights and being kick start only it was an absolute sod to get going again. I began to hate it, so got rid..

..bought a 1990 Yamaha FZ750 off a mate at work. Old but impressive bike. Went like hell, never needed much doing to it.. sold it to another mate and it's still going strong, having had a recent re-spray.

.. got shot and bought a 1998 Honda Blackbird off a mate who'd had it from new, having cherished it like a child. I've had it for 7 years now and it's still absolutely immaculate, in black, albeit having 45,000 km's on the clock. Fantastic all round bike, will never sell it. After my brother upgraded it (without telling me) with a dyno jet kit and K&N air filters, as well as an after market exhaust system, it will now seriously embarrass almost anything on the road, although it was perfectly quick enough as it was. Comfortable too, which with a middle aged spread is important.

I've let my brother have the bike in Devon now and will ride it occasionally when i visit, because with a 1 year old child, my mortality is now more important to me...plus.. there's no joy whatsoever riding something like that anywhere near London nowadays, too many SMIDSY's about. Suppose that makes me a 'fair weather' biker, although my defence is all the years i did ride them in rain or shine and the cold winter when i was seeing my future wife when she lived in Devon and i lived in London and became too tight to put the fuel in the Jag for 2 weekends a month. Blimey, that was cold.

Edited by Webmaster on 28/01/2009 at 19:59

there's no joy whatsoever riding something like that anywhere near London nowadays
too many SMIDSY's about. Suppose that makes me a 'fair weather' biker

There's no shame in that. I gave up regular commuting on a bike years ago, for various reasons; too cold, as a relief lorry driver I had too much gear to carry, and it's bad enough getting soaked at work without doing it on the commute. Final straw was skidding on a very muddy A6 one morning whilst en route to East Midlands Airport, and bending the front forks on my much-loved Honda CD175; probably the ultimate commuter bike. Day after that (and dare I say it on here? ;-) ) I bought a Volvo!

Current job is only two miles away from home so most days its quicker by car, taking into account putting gear on etc.

Other thing is, I get people saying to me that "as a biker, I should ride my bike where possible". I don't buy that; I ride for pleasure now, and if I'm not going to get any satisfaction out of the trip then however good the bike is it stays in the garage. I have nothing left to prove, either to myself or anyone else.
How many here have bikes? - v8man
My first bike was a purple unrestricted Fizzy. Brilliant fun.

Passed my test on a Z250 Scorpion, the one with the coffin tank and alloy wheels.
The others: -

GSX250
GPZ750 Turbo
GPZ550
RF600
GSXR600 SRAD
ZX7R
ZX12R

I am now considering either a Aprillia RSV1000 or the KTM RC8
had a Yamaha FS1E (fizzy) as a moped at 16...purple one de-restricted went like hell for what it was indestructable.

Once saw homemade sticker on the back of a FS1E's mudflap which said "Fizzy's never die, they just seize"

How many here have bikes? - Westpig
Once saw homemade sticker on the back of a FS1E's mudflap which said "Fizzy's never
die they just seize"

it's perfectly true. Mine did seize eventually, but to be fair to the thing, it still kick started and it still went, albeit with a max speed of about 30-35mph instead of 55-60mph. Amazingly resilient.

it's perfectly true. Mine did seize eventually

So did mine, but leaving it for 5 mins it would start and run again for a little while. I eventually traced the problem to a hairline crack right across the top of the piston. Piston got hot and expanded enough to jam inside the cylinder. The replacement piston I fitted did the same thing as well. Turned out to be an ignition timing fault. I should have realised earlier as it kept melting the standard NGK plug and I had to put a hotter one in to stop it from melting the tip of the plug.
How many here have bikes? - nick62
Currently;

1996 Honda RC45
1990 Yamaha OW01
1980 Suzuki GS850G

Previously (earliest owned first);

1968 Honda C100 step-thru (field bike)
195? BSA C15 (field bike)
197? Montesa 125 Cota trials bike
1972 KTM Comet-Cross moped
1973 Honda SS50 moped
1976 MZ250 (dad's old bike, passed my test on this in 1979, I could wheelie it for ever)
1976 Honda CB400 Four
1989 Yamaha DT250R trials bike
1980 Honda CB1100R-B

My biggest problem is finding time to ride any of them, but track-days are the best bet.
How many here have bikes? - ssray
Over 50 so far, `91 vfr750fm with 107kon the clock at the mo`, would like a nice bm next 1100 rs or gs i think.

Been on it all winter(so far) see how next weeks blizzard`s pan out.

Ray
How many here have bikes? - Pugugly
Honda CB100
Honda CB250N
Kawasaki Z250
Honda CB650
Kawasaki GT750
Honda CBR1000 (long term borrowed bike)
BMW R1200GS
Honda CB650 Nighthawk
and a brief time with a Honda CG125
How many here have bikes? - paulb {P}
1990 Honda Vision 50 (bought in 1995, and taught me a few important lessons about the ability of main dealers to do MOTs properly)

1999 MBK something-or-other 50 (bought new from Halfords; taught me a valuable lesson about resale values)

2000 Kymco Cobra Racer 50 (should have got one of these in the first place)

Did DAS in 2006, about 5 years after I originally thought of doing it.

Now have 2001 K1 Bandit 600, currently on charge in the garage, in the optimistic hope that it will be dry tomorrow and I can go to work on it.

Acquired ridiculously cheaply from a mate, in view of various bits of work needing to be done - and still cost less than a dealer would have wanted for it even once that had all been done. 53,500 miles and still goes like it oughter, with assistance from V-Power in keeping the carb jets clean.
How many here have bikes? - TurboD
Kawasaki ER500- very good for what I need, I like anew bike and then keep it a good while. Nothing too frightening and have been riding powered two wheelers since 1965, mainly low powered that is!
How many here have bikes? - V4 Heaven
I have a 1984 RD500 and a 1998 R1. I'd be interested to hear from doug_r1 and martint123 to see what the oil consumption is on their R1s. 'They all use a bit' is the old saying; mine uses about 200ml every 1000 miles and it's done 26k. What about you guys and yours with the higher mileages? Cheers.
How many here have bikes? - telecaster
Prevoius bikes included.......Yamaha 80, honda CG 125. Honda 400/4, Honda 500/4. Honda 750 KZ. Honda CX 500.

Since returning to biking after a gap , Suzuki 650 Bandit, and my present steed a 2006 Honda CBF 1000 in interstellar black!

OOOPS left out the Kawasaki ER 500.

Edited by telecaster on 31/01/2009 at 12:46

I've had my R1 from new, and it's just on 67,400 miles, and I've topped it up probably six times since I bought it. I change the oil around the 6,000 to 8,000 mark, but I do 500 a week so that's every couple of months, I fit a new oem oil filter every time.

I did have a 20 valve YZF750R that did around 1,000 miles to the litre of oil, I had to top it up every two days, and once bought a 25litre drum of oil to save going to Halfords every week. The back of the bike had a yellow tinge, but I never saw any obvious smoke.

I believe the problem is the valve seals hardening, and I've always maintained that a bike that's used frequently suffers less from hardening seals than one that's only used occasionally. Unfortunately I bought the 750, an Australian import, and it had been sitting for a while and burned oil from the day I got it.

The other old chestnut is the "exup valve always sticks", well I've done around 150,000 miles on exup bikes in all kinds of filthy, salty weather and I've yet to have one stick. Both exup bikes I've bought the first job was to drill a drain hole in the bottom of the chrome exup cover, I reckon they fill with water off the back wheel and it's that that causes them to seize.

I should think with an RD500 that oil consumption in the R1 was the least of your worries :-)
How many here have bikes? - elvis
I am currently riding a newer shape fazer 1000.
Other bikes ive owned TS 125, FZR 400, ZXR 750, 1200 Bandit, and briefly an R1.
Both exup bikes I've bought the first job was to drill a drain hole in the bottom of the chrome exup cover, I reckon they fill with water off the back wheel and it's that that causes them to seize.

I've not had an exup stick either, but I do make sure I remove all the bolts and copper grease them each time the lowers are off for an oil change. They're not easy to drill out.

I very rarely have to top up the oil, I tend to keep it sat at the top of the glass.
Oil and filter changes around 5000 miles (ish).

Edited by martint123 on 31/01/2009 at 21:55

How many here have bikes? - gramar
Hello, fellow enthusiasts.

I'm currently bikeless having sold my Cagiva Raptor 650 two years ago to help fund a house move. Our new home is going through a series of upgrades so little money to spare and bikes are in the background. I keep in touch with the Classic scene however.

I got my provisional licence in 1972 passing my test in 1974 on a CZ175 - did anyone else own one of these? I remember mine fondly.

Most of my bikes have been Japanese - a mix of all 4 main makes ranging from a humble C50 through to GSX750 and XS850. I also had a W650 for a year but found it a bit slow - it certainly turned heads and got people talking to me where I went on it like no other bike I've yet owned.

It's difficult to pick out a favourite although the Raptor must be close to the top of the list. Very quick for a 650, loads of torque, stonking brakes and economical with it.

One day soon I hope to be back on two wheels and as always haven't got a clue which bike it will be next. I'm not a fan of the latest bikes with their fuel injection, daytime running lights and catalysts. It's bad enough owning a car with CR injection. I like to be able to work on them myself and still enjoy changing tyres and tubes!!

I quite like the Indian made Enfield Bullets, the original Classic model in black - so easy to live with, so cheap to buy and run, easy to work on and customise to my own taste, bit like a Harley? Does anyone else own a Bullet ? if so what are they like - so far I've only test ridden them a 350 and a 500 but that was about 4 years ago.

I quite like the Indian made Enfield Bullets the original Classic model in black -
so easy to live with so cheap to buy and run easy to work on
and customise to my own taste bit like a Harley? Does anyone else own a
Bullet ? if so what are they like - so far I've only test ridden
them a 350 and a 500 but that was about 4 years ago.
If you thought a W650 was slow then you won't like the Enfields. I do agree with your observations regarding them, but if you want that sort of ride and enjoy a bit of tinkering, why not got the whole "HOG" (sorry it was irresistable) and buy an 883 Sportster? Given the current climate there are a lot of good deals to be had; many people buy them as a first Harley then upgrade to a bigger one, meaning that there are a lot of low-mileage ones around for no more than three grand, often less if you haggle.

My only caveat would be to avoid the earlier Evo models with the four-speed box, as the gearbox is a little fragile and prone to breakages which can be expensive. Post 1992 models with belt drive and 5-speed are much better. I know a lot of guys in VMCC who run a Sporty as a modern alternative to a classic Brit.
How many here have bikes? - gramar
Thanks Harleyman

I know the enfields are slow and that may be a problem. I also quite fancy the idea of a Harley Sporster 1200 though. I test road some Harleys (Fatboy & 1200 sportster)a few years back and really liked them. My younger brother came with me and was so taken he bought an FXRT for himself and really enjoyed a couple of years with that before going back to 'rice rockets'.

I'll have to see how my finances shape up.
How many here have bikes? - Rob S
Currently on a GSX600F 1994 vintage that I've had for about 7 years, the infamous teapot! Still use it all year round when I can even though I've been riding for over 30 years, I've fitted some hard panniers for the laptop and other stuff I need for work but it's not the most convenient mode of transport for my job. Brakes need stripping down again as the winter muck has taken it's annual toll and they have started to grab.

I would dearly love a Sprint ST - a triple on song is just the best sound - but finances are too tight these days, I once bought an XS750 just for the luvverly noise it made with a 3 - 1 Motad but it was not the best reason as the engine was made out of chocolate on the early versions!
How many here have bikes? - V4 Heaven
Cheers DougR1 and Martint123 ref the R1 query. I know that PB magazine bought a 1998 R1 and it was drinking about 3/4 of a litre of oil per 1,000 miles. After a full strip and rebuld inc new rings and valve stem seals, it still burns about 3-400ml per 1,000 miles. Luck of the draw I guess. I've had the EXUP valve apart a couple of times as a precautionary measure but I imagine stuck valves are probably down to neglect.

As for the RD Doug, it's done 22,000 miles and it's been 100% reliable in the last 6,000 miles since I've had it. I can't shut it away and forget about it as it needs a bit more general fettling and tlc than modern bikes but it puts up with the best that I can throw at it and it refuses to die! Besides which it always makes me smile! :-)
Luck of the draw I guess.

I'm not sure of that. I think the first 500 miles determines an awful lot of the future on an R1 with it's bore coating (of whatever it is). Dawdling for the 1st 500 doesn't let the rings or bores get worn in nicely. Racers just hammer them after 10 miles and reckon they get more power that way and a longer life. Moving to fully synth oil too soon doesn't help either I understand.
How many here have bikes? - dieselnut
Started in 1969 with a C200 90cc Honda then :-
CD175 Honda
CB450 Honda
XS650 Yamaha
TS125 Suzuki for off road
250 Matador Bultaco for enduro's & off road
860GT Ducati
15 year break when I couldn't really afford a bike & family car then :-
VF1000R Honda
TL1000S Suzuki
R1100GS BMW
K1200R BMW
R1200GS BMW current road bike with CB600 Honda for track days.
I did dable with a year of racing on a 250 Ducati in the 70s & 125 GP Honda in the 90's.
How many here have bikes? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Started with an NSU Quickly (23mph!) when I was 16 then had a Honda C50 before being seduced by cars. Kept one sort of bike or another though the decades, including a Triumph T90 (a rolling restoration over 25 years- now gone), WSK 175 (a scarily fast 2 stroke based on the ISDT machine), a Yamaha T80 ,a new Honda 125cc 2 stroke trail bike, a Yamaha XT 350cc 4 stroke trail bike, BMW R80/7, BMW K75 and now just a BMW R1150R. Would like to have kept the Honda C50 and the Yamaha XT350 but finances did not permit.
Saw a guy riding through on the snow yesterday on an L plate 125cc Suzuki. Hope he made it home.
" the engine was made out of chocolate on the
early versions!"

And all those nasty cross-head screws made from chromed cheese.
(Don't know if the new Jappers are still like that.)
How many here have bikes? - zookeeper
first bike was a suzuki 185 gt on my 17 birthday ( 32 years ago ) then a honda 125 cb, kwak 250, honda cb 500 , kwak 750 , yamaha 900, bmw k75, honda cb 750 kz ...and a few more in between , i stick to motors now tho, even then its still a gamble wether or not the east european lorry driver runs over the top of you
How many here have bikes? - Fullchat
First bike was a Triumph Tiger Cub 200cc well two of them really as I struggled to keep them going. Then a BSA C15 Cafe Racer. Last bike in my teens was a Suzuki 350. Then onto cars.

Move on 20 odd years and a test ride on a Triumph Sprint resulting in getting side swiped by a hit and run Discovery towing a trailer on a test ride. Bruised ego and dented pride but perhaps I should stick to 4 wheels!

Move on 8 years and a Yamaha FZS 600 which I kept for a year and then onto a Triumph Sprint 1050 which I still have.
Welcome to the backroom Sprint owner's club, Fullchat!
How many here have bikes? - Rich53
I've been riding since I passed my 'test' in 1973. Current bikes are a 2003 ex-police 1300 Pan Euro and a 1995 Yam XT600E. The XT is the commuter and the Pan is supposed to be for touring, as the wife loves it. However, I am currently rebuilding the rear wheel of the XT, so the Pan is the daily driver. If this makes any sense, I respect the Pan, but I love the XT. The Pan is an awesome bike, fast, comfy and with surprisingly good handling for a tank. The XT is slow, vibrates a lot and is a bit shabby, but it tickles my happy gland. The bike I remember with the most affection of all was a Guzzi V50II - sweet-natured, fine-handling and charming, if not the fastest bike in the world. I'm still looking for another of these as a project. The worst ever was a Jawa 350 - see 'worst bike' thread.
How many here have bikes? - trytofixit
Good for you, i have been on the road for 30 years this year. I ride an old blade, and do a bit of off-road, trials mainly. Makes you a better rider all-round.
How many here have bikes? - nicam
Passed my test way back in the 70`s and then bikes were transport, starting with predictable CD175, CB250, XT185, CX500, etc etc. Last bike used regularly was a Ducati 900GTS. What a noise that one made - when it ran!! After a 5 or so year break I have just finished a rebuild of a `74 Rickman Triumph Cafe Racer with the 650 Bonneville Engine. Only been out a couple of times but, boy does it handle - it must have been sensational in the 70`s. And it still produces the right soundtrack.
How many here have bikes? - Holyroller
Passed my test in '81, had several years away due to an accident on the North Circular! Recently had an Aprilia scooter given to me for a birthday present ... and now I've got the bug again! I've been looking on Ebay, and drooling over some older models - especially a 1990 Honda CBR600FL and a 1977 Honda CB750 Four F2. One day ... maybe one day ...
How many here have bikes? - RaineMan

My first bike was in fact a scooter ? an old Lambretta that I brought in fifth form in anticipation of my 16th birthday. The details are lost in the mists of time. It scared me somewhat ? with the benefit of hindsight I realise it was totally worn out. After a few hundred miles it broke down and I sold it to someone a couple of years older. He rebuilt the mechanics and re-sprayed it ? but it took him a year.

After that I got a brand new Honda sports moped ? an SS50. This was a lot of fun (faster than the Lambretta) apart from the tendency of the tyres to let go on a damp surface ? it sent me down the road three times. Unfortunately it did not live up to Honda?s legendary reliability and has to go back to the main dealer (as a non-runner) four times. When it broke down again after the warranty expired I gave up on it and decided to get a real motorcycle. An older person (well 35?ish seems old when you are 17) brought it (as a non-runner) for a winter run-around to save his 650 from the salt. I warned him about the tyres but he told me that he knew what he was doing. Two weeks after he got it going (something had sheared in the engine) he dropped it on a damp road, breaking his arm in the process, and wrote it off.

My third and last bike was an old Triumph T20B Super Cub. What a revelation. It was easier to ride than the Honda with more power and torque, and decent grip on damp/wet roads. Fuel consumption was better as well. They had a reputation for unreliability but it never let me down although there were a few niggles along the way. At 19y 4m I passed my car test and got a succession of old bangers.

Over the years I have fancied another bike a number of times. In the end I decided to go for the Direct Access route last year but an accident before, which resulted in a badly broken leg, meant I had to cancel. I still fancy a bike but friends tell me I am mad. Maybe one day?