99 1.8 symptom of cooling system problem? - jp147
Recently I have noticed that whilst driving, the temperature guage needle is very slightly higher than normal i.e. instead of being exactly between min and max it is slightly higher up. Also I have noticed whitish smoke from the exhaust although I am still not sure whether this is normal and just caused by the hot exhaust gases (water) condensing on the cooler outside air.

The coolant level in the reservoir does tend to drop slightly over say 2-3 months.

Any advice is welcome.

Edited by Pugugly on 26/01/2009 at 21:43

1999 1.8 Signs of cooling system fault ? - jp147
Recently I have noticed that whilst driving, the temperature guage needle is very slightly higher than normal i.e. instead of being exactly between min and max it is slightly higher up. Also I have noticed whitish smoke from the exhaust although I am still not sure whether this is normal and just caused by the hot exhaust gases (water) condensing on the cooler outside air.

The coolant level in the reservoir does tend to drop slightly over say 2-3 months.

Any advice is welcome.
1999 1.8 Signs of cooling system fault ? - astrabob
The slight drop in coolant level over 2 to 3 months is very little and is not significant. If it was caused by a leak, it would probably be impossible to trace because it is so small.

Its quite common to notice whitish smoke from the exhaust with petrol cars when first starting up on cold mornings. Its just water vapour. You tend not get get this effect with diesels. As you've described your Focus as a 1.8, I don't know whether its petrol or diesel.

You might be concerned about head gasket failure, as both coolant loss and white exhaust smoke can be symptoms. With head gasket failure, there tend to be other symptoms as well, often a very highly pressurised cooling system, and bubbles of gas in the coolant header tank.

With one car I had with head gasket failure, when I unscrewed the coolant header cap, the water came out of it like a shaken fizzy drinks can. (Obviously you have to take care doing this!).

Hope that this helps.
1999 1.8 Signs of cooling system fault ? - piston power
For peace of mind take your car for the sniff test, they test for hydrocarbons in the coolant this will tell you if a headgasket problem.

Also if thats ok maybe try a new thermostat they can stick etc.