Do they REALLY crush unlicensed cars? - William Stevenson
We are plagued by the late night tearing around these quiet streets by a vehicle with very loud exhaust. Finally got the number yesterday- car contained the obligatory 4 young men with baseball caps speeding up to 50 then screeching to almost halting at the next junction. Interesting thing is that DVLA lists it as having been unlicensed since last February and being a different colour to the one it is now. The engine capacity indicates it's a 16 year old hot hatch- a prime candidate for crushing. They could even be stolen plates. I told the police, but my suspicion is that they'll do nothing about it and I'll eventually see the same occupants driving the same way around here again. This is a thread requiring long term follow up.
Do they REALLY crush unlicensed cars? - Lygonos
The Police and VOSA are usually quite good at following up tip-offs such as this, but the problem is catching it being used on the public highways. If it is parked on the public highway then it can be clamped and removed if untaxed.

If you want to be a nosey parker, just pop the reg number into www.askmid.com and you can see if it even has valid insurance. (Although you are meant to be the owner to use it, noone will likely get prosecuted for checking the details of another car).

edit: section 55 of the DPA has a nice 'get-out' clause if you are detecting a crime - note there is no mention of the need to be an agent of the state (eg. a policeman) or an insurance company - I think you'd be ok...

www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts1998/ukpga_19980029_en_7

Edited by Lygonos on 26/01/2009 at 21:33

Do they REALLY crush unlicensed cars? - boxsterboy
I often see cars in London with a yellow clamp and DVLA sticker on the windscreen. Presumably after a while if the fines aren't paid the car gets crushed.
Do they REALLY crush unlicensed cars? - rtj70
I thought they initially clamp and then remove cars. The fine/cost obviously goes up if they remove it as storage and removal charges incurred.

Depending on value of car... yes they will crush them. Or sell via auction if that will bring in money.
Do they REALLY crush unlicensed cars? - FotheringtonThomas
Not crushed, I think, but shredded.
Do they REALLY crush unlicensed cars? - bintang
What is the point of crushing or shredding? Why not auction for the public purse, preferably that part of it concerned with road improvements? Some cars muust be worth thousands.
Do they REALLY crush unlicensed cars? - Old Navy
What is the point of crushing or shredding? Why not auction for the public purse
preferably that part of it concerned with road improvements? Some cars muust be worth thousands.

No chance of spending any income on road improvments. Traffic obstruction, sorry, traffic calming, is more likley.
Do they REALLY crush unlicensed cars? - Tornadorot
Yes, it does seem unreasonable to destroy a perfectly good car just because its owner has been a bit lax with road tax or insurance. On the other hand, a lot of these cars are likely to be old sheds of negligible value.
Do they REALLY crush unlicensed cars? - Andy P
Why not dismantle them and sell any useable bits as spares?
Do they REALLY crush unlicensed cars? - L'escargot
Any car that gets crushed creates the potential for a dealer selling another car, so it could be good for the motor trade. It's an ill wind ...........
Do they REALLY crush unlicensed cars? - smokie
- or another TWOCing.

...that blows no good!