00 1.6 coolant leak after w/pump & rad change - g9icy
Hey all,
My Astra, W reg has not long had both its radiator and water pump replaced, yet two weeks after having the pump fitted, the water/coolant had gone down to about 3/4 of an inch full.

I'm getting a bit annoyed now as its getting too expensive to run if it keeps having these issues.

There is no gunk under the oil cap so I'm thinking and hoping its not the head gasket, but I have noticed some water coming out of the exhaust (trickling), not sure if that's normal/relevant or not.

I need some advice really, so I can return to my local mechanic armed with some info.

Any recommendations on things to suggest or ideas of what it could be?
Thanks.

Edited by Pugugly on 26/01/2009 at 20:08

2000 1.6 Water leaking - already changed rad & wat - SpamCan61 {P}
Get the coolant header tank 'sniffed' for exhaust gases by a garage, maybe you have a head gasket to coolant channel leak. Alternatively are you 100% sure there are no leaks from any hoses etc., or the heater matrix, although the latter will usually leave a slight smell of coolant in the passenger compartment.
2000 1.6 Water leaking - already changed rad & wat - topbloke
the level may have settled after the water pump and rad change or do you keep topping up ! when you drop the water from the engine via waterpump etc then air will get in, this forms small air pockets when its refilled (unless a vacum filler is used) these will get moved about during normal running ending up in the exspansion tank hence the drop in level, if you have to keep topping up then there is a problem Regards TB
2000 1.6 Water leaking - already changed rad & wat - TurboD
Why did the rad and WP get changed?, did you see leaks from them?. Did you put newspaer under car overnight to see if leaks were present?.
Someone is just guessing and taking a round about route to the problem, ( which is a nice earner) which is most likley the HG all along .
Check for leaks overnight before plunging into the HG chnage which will be expensive.
Coolant cannot just vanish- it can go into steam of course.