Tax vehicle with 14 days valid MOT left - allan doc
I am thinking of purchasing a Citreon Van which is taxed till end of Feb 09 and Mot'd till 07 Feb 09. Could i still tax the vehicle woth only 14 days valid MOT left or would i have to get the van MOT'd. It will be insured before i try and tax it

Edited by Pugugly on 23/01/2009 at 18:56

Tax vehicle with 14 days valid MOT left - Bill Payer
No - you can't tax until the middle of the month the tax runs out in.

Edited by Bill Payer on 23/01/2009 at 17:11

Tax vehicle with 14 days valid MOT left - oldnotbold
Actually, BP, I think you can now tax earlier in the month, but the OP won't be able to, as I think he'd need an MoT valid until at least the 1st of March.
Tax vehicle with 14 days valid MOT left - Armitage Shanks {p}
Tax it from 1st Feb then. Nothing to say you can't have 'overlapping' tax - or is there? Alternatively, cash in the current disc, or get the owner to, and then tax it from 1st Feb.

Why not get the seller to put it thru the MOT and then discuss who pays the cost, if any, of the work needed for the pass?

The rules have probably changed - I remeber getting a year's tax with 7 days MOT but that was in the 60s!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 23/01/2009 at 17:20

Tax vehicle with 14 days valid MOT left - oldnotbold
Nothing to stop you cashing in the tax on/before 31 Jan, and then re-taxing for/on 1 Feb.

Do taxed, insured vehicles, out of MoT trigger an ANPR?
Tax vehicle with 14 days valid MOT left - Stuartli
Re how early can the MOT be carried out:

"An MOT can be carried out at any time.

If the vehicle is presented for test within the calendar month prior to the date that the MOT is due, the test certificate will run from the date of the test to one year after the expiry date of the current certificate (e.g. if the current certificate was due to expire on 1/4/03, and the vehicle was presented on or after 2/3/03, the certificate would run from the test date until 1/4/04). To have this extension, the vehicle owner should present their old certificate to the Test Station to verify that the extra time is applicable. The tester would then write the serial number of the old certificate in the appropriate section of the new certificate."

I have my car tested about 10 days before the expiry date and it is always for that period plus a year.
Tax vehicle with 14 days valid MOT left - Bill Payer
I remeber getting a year's tax with 7 days MOT but that was in the 60s!

You can certainly do that - MOT only needs to be valid on the first day the tax applies. I avoid getting new cars on the 1st of the month for this reason - if registered later in the month then taxing them at 3yrs old is no problem, you're not tied up by having to get an MOT first.

I didn't think you could (easily) tax a car without the reminder and that said you couln't retax before the 15th - or am I thinking of the online system, which is certainly like that?

Is it feasible to retax at the post office these days without the reminder?
Tax vehicle with 14 days valid MOT left - Dwight Van Driver
From the 'Orzez Maarf' - DVLA

You must produce an MOT test certificate that is valid on the day the tax disc comes into force. A certificate that expires on the last day of the month eg 30 April cannot be used if the tax disc is to start on the first day of the following month eg 1 May. The certificate must be original; a photocopy is not acceptable.

dvd
Tax vehicle with 14 days valid MOT left - Hamsafar
BP, I agree is used to be like this until recently, but I just renewed mine online last month on the 7th of the month before. It didn't used to be that way.