00 1.8Vti - using oil - Pezzer
Hi Folks, I think this is my first foray over from the 'Discussion' side.
I have a Civic Aerodeck 1.8Vti that is now using a fair bit of oil. Assume its getting burnt as there is no leakage on the drive.
It is using 1 ltr every 800-1k miles if I take it steady and dont use the higher rev range. I'm interested as to what the likely cause is. Am I right in thinking it that it might be worn rings or valves ? (Is has done 80k miles and the only thing that has happened that coincides with this is that Honda changed the Cam Belt)

Many thanks
P

Edited by Pugugly on 21/01/2009 at 19:41

00 1.8Vti - using oil - Woodspeed
I am now on my second one of these. First was a hatch, now the Aerodeck. Cracking car. They do use a bit of oil (and in my mind of building engines over 35 years - that is no bad thing). However, your consumption is a little high. If they did an oil change on it when doing the belt, they may have used a /30 (0 or 5) which the modern engines are specified (it saves fuel and gets round quicker). However, I would suggest a 5 or 10/40 (thicker when hot top end) and a fully synthetic (= quality and less fume off and stays in grade). Some of the semi synthetic 5/30 de-grade to 20 or worse quite quickly, and the high revs this engine goes to does mince it. I have had both cars between 30 and 80k miles (current on 89k) and on Mobil 1 it requires about a litre in 2.5-3k miles. Make sure the dipstick is pushed fully in when you check as any overfill does get whipped up with high revs and gets past the bores. What oil are you using at the moment and when last changed?
00 1.8Vti - using oil - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
If you drive this wonderful revvy engine gently all the time it may have glazed bores which causes oil consumption. Also what oil do you use in it, a full synthetic?
I'm using part synthetic (Halfords) 10/40. I recently had an oil and filter change done at Kwik Fit and they put Mobil 1 in and that seemed to disappear more quickly than the Halfords stuff.
00 1.8Vti - using oil - Woodspeed
If Kwik Fit did the oil service, I wonder which grade of Mobil 1 they put in. It is availabe in 0/30 and 0/40 So many times I get my Aerodeck confused with the later model when asking for parts etc. The next generation was specified for 5/30 (or North European conditions 0/30 - thinner when cold same when hot). "Honda Civic, which year mate". And the MB6 goes to 2001, while the later model started 2001!
If you DIY oil change the problem is getting right underneath to change the filter, so can appreciate you have to get it done. Honda specify a 5/40 or 10/40 but only a full synthetic on the market now will be 5/40. Mobil 1, Halfords own, Total Quartz 9000, Motul. Motor factors are worth trying for bulk deals 4 x 5 litres brings it down to about £18 for 5 litres. As long as it is a 5/40 and API standard SM or SL then you are using a very fine oil. Manufacturers who have an over 7000 rpm limit (and this Honda is 8200) and spec a ?/30 do have issues with oil loss when the vehicle has some miles on it.
Maybe choose Halfords own brand (currently on offer) or Mobil 1 from there and ask them to do a new oil and filter change so you are SURE of what is going in. Personally I would not be too alarmed by your quoted consumption if the revs are bounced off the limiter every day, but for this engine 3000k per litre seems about the norm approaching 100k miles. Remember and ask why Honda specify a 9k service oil change, when everyone else was going to 10-12k. Possibly the oil in an "average" or worse "stressed" car would be on the limit at 9k.
However, generally Honda engines that are fed good oil and coolant and driven "enthusiastically" go to in excess of 200k miles. Know several of them.
Good luck, keep us imformed.
00 1.8Vti - using oil - simons peugeot
Heres the link to Total oil to choose the right oil for your car

ew5.earlweb.com/search.php?site=74§or=9&catego...6

Heres the Ebay shop You can buy it From

stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Chandlers-Oil-Lubricant-Sho...1
To be honest I'm about to get shot of the car because I cannot abide the steering feel and the noise. It is absolutely crying out for another gear (6th).
It was only ever bought as a stopgap when I came out of the Company Car sceme. Although to be fair to the car it has done me very well over the last year and still gives a few warm hatches a bit of a surprise in a straight line :-)