Quick report on valeting vs the economy - stunorthants26
First thing ive noticed is that all the valeting set-ups in car parks are booming, even during the daytime at the garden centre.

Had a long chat with my cleaning chemical supplier who said that he has had brilliant start to 2009, one of the best starts he has ever had. He agreed with me that as things stand, if he didnt read the papers, he wouldnt know there was any economical problems.

As for me, ive found it exactly the same. Response to advertising is very strong and existing customers are spending very strongly, many new cars this year either already delivered or on order. I havent had a January this strong for 4 years - I met my normal targets for the month by the beginning of the third week and Im almost booked till the end of the month.

Im wondering when or if, it will bite, whats it going to take as things are from what ive been told, are getting better not worse, atleast on the face of it.
Quick report on valeting vs the economy - csgmart
Interesting - not valet related but I was visiting several dealerships over the weekend and I was quite surprised to see that all apart from 1 had plenty of 'customers'.

In nearly all cases all of the sales staff were engaged in conversation with what looked like eager buyers. All this news of a down turn doesn't seem to have affected my local dealers too badly.

Edited by csgmart on 20/01/2009 at 22:17

Quick report on valeting vs the economy - Marc
Maybe people are going to be hanging onto the car they've got instead of the regular chopping-in cycle we've become accustomed to. Hence they treat themselves to a valet.
Quick report on valeting vs the economy - M.M
Currently renovating our house and the guy who reproduces custom timber mouldings/skirting boards/doors etc is flat out. He reckons folks are staying put and doing a modest amount to the existing place (as we are to be honest). Also ordered some curtains to be made at Dunelm last week and they are busy with the usual 4wks lead time. Girl reckoned they are picking up business from the more expensive stores as folks cut costs.

So even in a downturn there will be some who keep going.

I'm looking for a new job around May and am having an "interesting" time working out what areas may remain strong for the next 5yrs. Valeting perhaps eh? ;-)

David
Quick report on valeting vs the economy - Pugugly
We're busier than ever - 14% up on this time last year according to our Business Manager - that;s pretty good - certainly feels very busy. Crime going up as well.
Quick report on valeting vs the economy - scouseford
Could the boom in car valeting not be down to the exceptionally cold weather that has been the norm over the past month or so?

There has been a lot of salt spread onto the roads and the cold weather is not exactly conducive to washing the jam jar yourself.

A fiver for a good swill is value for money.

For you valeters I hope that the good times continue but I'll certainly start to wash my car again myself just as soon as the weather warms up.

By the way, I'm assuming that 'valeting' is a pseudonym for washing.
Quick report on valeting vs the economy - motorprop
Not less than a tenner for a standard wash at my local Albanian car wash in North London. Had to wash at another car wash ( the Kosovans , their rivals ) and for £9 which was of course £10 , they didn't vacuum inside the hatch. When I queried this I was told it wasn't included for only £9... Hilarious
Quick report on valeting vs the economy - telecaster
Little mispelling there buddy...............mods asleep...lol!
would you care to point it out ?
Quick report on valeting vs the economy - Dynamic Dave
Little mispelling there buddy...............mods asleep...lol!

We're here to moderate the forum, not correct everone's spelling mistakes. Yes, we'll more often than not correct a subject header mispelling, but that's only because it's the first thing people see when they visit the forum, as well as helping anyone using the forum search (unless of course they mispell the word(s) during their search).

DD.

ps, yes, I did spot your smiley, but this is your 2nd reference to spelling mistakes today which makes me wonder what point you're trying to prove?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/01/2009 at 10:24

Quick report on valeting vs the economy - L'escargot
Little mispelling there .....

Do you mean misspelling?
;-)
>>Could the boom in car valeting not be down to the exceptionally cold weather that has been the norm over the past month or so?<<

I wouldnt say so. Business is pretty steady across the year. In the summer cars get dusty and plastered with flies, plus some people reason that if they have their car done then, it will stay cleaner longer.
Ive never yet noticed a seasonal change since I started up on my own in 2002.

Valeting is a skill set. Washing is following the instructions on the car shapoo bottle. Ive seen some 'car washers' do some hilariously bad jobs and do some serious damage.
Quick report on valeting vs the economy - Mr X
I've never understood why people are prepared to pay for a job they could easily do themselves in around 20 minutes. It also gives one chance to inspect ones paint work for blemishes, chips, rust as well as checking tyres for cuts to the walls . Will a Valeter do this and inform you ?
>>inspect ones paint work for blemishes, chips, rust as well as checking tyres for cuts to the walls . Will a Valeter do this and inform you ?<<

Well I do for several customers ( who are sensitive to these things ) and always mention any bulges or serious uneven tyre wear.
Im being paid to do what they would otherwise do. Maybe others dont bother, I have no idea, but my business works becuase I care about what I do - ive actually forgotten to get paid on occasions and been chased down the drive by someone waving cash at me.

Of course many people do have total apathy towards their chosen career.
I once read in the Mercedes Owner's mag on some valeter in Germany whose top job is a valet taking about a week and for which he charges about 5000 - 6000 Euros ... used some very expensive creams to justify the cost .
Quick report on valeting vs the economy - Bagpuss
I've never understood why people are prepared to pay for a job they could easily do themselves

I believe it's known as "paying for a service". It works on the basis that a professional does a better job more efficiently and/or the customer has better things to do than slop around with freezing cold water in the middle of winter. I am not rich but I never clean my own car in the same way I don't cut my own hair.
Quick report on valeting vs the economy - captain chaos
I wish it only took me 20 minutes to wash my car Mr X, more like 2 hours.... mind you, I do keep stopping to admire it! ;-)
Glad to hear the OP is doing well in these trying times, long may it continue
Quick report on valeting vs the economy - rtj70
PU I would imagine your law firm will get even busier. Unfortunate for those needing the need for lawyers but it will happen.
Quick report on valeting vs the economy - Pugugly
Lots of law firms going under - first time I've come across that in 30 years.
Quick report on valeting vs the economy - L'escargot
First thing ive noticed is that all the valeting set-ups in car parks are booming

Having seen the colour of the water in their buckets I would never use them. You certainly can't call them "valeters". Anyone who does use them obviously doesn't give a monkey's about their car's bodywork.

Edited by L'escargot on 21/01/2009 at 07:40

People are naive, which is fine, not everyone is aware of the best practices for cleaning cars, no do people care.
Ive seen a black 3-Series have every panel scratched from a quick wash centre using the same sponge for the wheels and then going straight to bodywork.
Ive also seen some terribly heavy handed applications of wheel acid with stiff brushes which results in both a faded finish, maybe even blotchy, plus scratches in the crevices of the spokes.
It makes me cringe and proof if any were needed that valeting is about knowing not only what to use, but how to use it and that only comes with experience.

If you use the same sponge for bodywork, you always do the wheels after the paintwork as wheel finsihes are generally quite robust whereas paint isnt, so any residual grit in the sponge is unlikley to mark the wheels. I have a small separate one myself which I use for wheels. I often soap wheels down rather than use acid as its rarely needed.
Stu,
Would it be ok to use acid on alloys which have painted spokes to remove ingrained marks on the paint or would you recommend cutting polish?
It depends who painted them really and what sort of paint. I always, on a suspect surface ( chrome wheels on a Bentley I did once springs to mind ) start with something mild to see what happenes.
Factory finishes are usually robust whereas aftermarket workmanship rarely seems to be very long lasting.

If you not sure, I would wash thoroughly and then try a very mild polish. Without seeing the wheels, its hard to say for sure.

Acids vary, although the one I use is to be diluted to suit your needs, so you can adjust the concentration easily.
Thanks Stu,
They're Camaro rims, standard factory rims with a colour keyed finish on the spokes. They look like new even though they're 19 years old but just have the odd mark on the spokes. Think I'll try the mild polish as you suggest then wax and seal with Autoglym alloy wheel seal
Quick report on valeting vs the economy - Andrew-T
Sorry to say it, Stu, but the only car I have ever put through a carwash was a hire car in NZ which was so dirty I didn't have the face to return it as it was. My own car(s) get a wipe-over if there has been heavy rain, and don't seem to have suffered too much. A pensioned-off wiper blade (gently applied) gets most of the rain off, followed by a bucket and an old beer-towel to finish. Not very professional I know ...
Quick report on valeting vs the economy - JH
Stu
whatever the reason, I'm glad to hear it. I've almost stopped reading newspapers!
Good luck
JH
Quick report on valeting vs the economy - Altea Ego
Well my fiver a car school kids have stopped coming round (shame they do a good basic job) and the AE fleet are as mucky as i have ever seen them. Nicolle bit the bullet and went to the row town car cleaners where a horde of lithuanians descended on it like flies for 9 quid. They are booming - cars queueing in the road. I shall have to do it as well soon its thick with muck

Plumber. Tried getting a plumber lately? I do all my own plumbing but the wife wont let me fit a replacement boiler. 300 quid daily rate and unavailable for two weeks due to "shedloads of work mate" Not just one but all of them.

Tried parking in my local shopping precinct on a weekend? 15 minute queue to find a place. Shops heaving and the only one closed down is Woolies. Even the Zavi is still open and trading.

Quick report on valeting vs the economy - bathtub tom
Our local car wash is only £2.30 for a basic wash (the one TG allegedly set fire to with their Espace years ago).

I put the works van through it and it seems to do a decent job. I'm tempted to use it for my car when it's really filthy, so it'll be easier to do a proper job at home.
Just a quick update 3 months on and further into the downturn.

I must say, Im having an upturn currently. March was my best month in nearly two years and April is looking very strong too.

New custom this year is well up on previous years and some have repeated already which is unusual for new customers.

I am very happy that I downsized from my van though as it has afforded me the cheapest possible running costs which is great protection for both profits and against money issues.

People seem to be quite happy to spend money and some of my regulars are actually spending more than usual. Still no redundancies from my pool of regular customers that affect their spending.

All in all, Im suprised but so far, no pinch to be felt whatsoever for me. Not sure how my rivals are doing though - hand wash centre at Tesco seems very busy though, as does the one at Homebase.
Quick report on valeting vs the economy - oldnotbold
Both my local indy garages are busy, and one is taking on more space and hiring two/three to fill it. They reckon main dealer servicing depts are quiet, and our local Vx main dealer shut for good in a hurry recently.

Keep up the marketing effort, though Stu - your customers are your best sales people, so make them feel wanted and loved and you'll get more business. Then even if you do lose a few to the recession you'll have gained others who will support you.
Keep up the marketing effort, though Stu <<

I am, I advertise in a local directory that gets me into 50,000 local homes in the villages round where I live for just £170 a year - its money well spent and gets me double that money in new customers business, not including follow-up work.

Its far more cost-effective than producing and distributing your own leaflets and trying to drop 50,000 of them!

Best bit of all, its a proper locally run business by a couple a few villages away, so its right on my level re supporting the local community.
Quick report on valeting vs the economy - bell boy
as del would say
"he who leathers well wins"
its all in the detail my son
nice to here you are beating the cowboys